Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Forum member Wanderer Z06 breaks world record!the quickest/ fastest GTR VIDEO!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 01:21 AM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Forum member Wanderer Z06 breaks world record!the quickest/ fastest GTR VIDEO!!

Forum member Wanderer Z06 just became the first GT-R to ever run a 9 sec run...ripping off 3 9 sec runs in a row. I know it is not Z06 related but I thought a congrats would be in place from some of his Z06 brothers.

I think it is cool that a US Performance shop takes a Japanese car and beats them at their own game!

A note: They never got a good 60ft out of the car that day and the one and only decent one was on the 9.89 pass with a 1.58 and the driver hit the rev limiter and lost speed and still managed to run his best ET. I saw the MPH in the 1/8th in the 9.0 @ 146.9 run and it was 116 and in that run it was only 112mph. I think if he can get his 60ft down to say a 1.46 -1.49 that run would take him in the low 9.7's high 9'6s!

Congrats Wanderer Z06!!

Here is the video guys! Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX3XsJFt9ac
Old 03-27-2010, 01:52 AM
venomws7
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Saw the video Very nice Congrats Wanderer and great work AMS...

I love the video editing too..
How much does that setup cost??
Old 03-27-2010, 01:53 AM
Omega Man
Race Director

Location: I speak the truth. Harsh but accurate. The Woodlands Texas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Did they let a 4 year old edit the footage at the track? Has to be one of the worst editing jobs I have even seen.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:59 AM
nzk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

truly awesome achievement, it was inevitable. for $22K it better produce results. my only question is can the stock trans handle that much power? seems foolish to almost double the engine's power output yet leave the trans untouched. maybe im wrong.

Last edited by nzk; 03-27-2010 at 02:16 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:35 AM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Knowing frank (AMS) they probably have the clutches in there... but who to say that will hold with probably over 800awhp. (146mph traps in that car, they have to be over 800awhp, the ASR did 140mph with about 800awhp)

Last edited by obzidian; 03-27-2010 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:17 AM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vegasredz062
Forum member Wanderer Z06 just became the first GT-R to ever run a 9 sec run...ripping off 3 9 sec runs in a row. I know it is not Z06 related but I thought a congrats would be in place from some of his Z06 brothers.

I think it is cool that a US Performance shop takes a Japanese car and beats them at their own game!

A note: They never got a good 60ft out of the car that day and the one and only decent one was on the 9.89 pass with a 1.58 and the driver hit the rev limiter and lost speed and still managed to run his best ET. I saw the MPH in the 1/8th in the 9.0 @ 146.9 run and it was 116 and in that run it was only 112mph. I think if he can get his 60ft down to say a 1.46 -1.49 that run would take him in the low 9.7's high 9'6s!

Congrats Wanderer Z06!!

Here is the video guys! Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX3XsJFt9ac
Thanks Sam!!

The car was amazing for it's madien run on a track since we did some more upgrades.

Your right on the 60fts weren't very good and the only one that was half way decent was on the 9.89 run but as you said Eric who was driving on that pass hit the rev limiter which is one thing we have to address because basically the stock tach can't keep up with the engine speed so we have to shift at around 5800rpms to avoid hitting the 7000rpm rev limiter. A PITA!! We are going to look at installing a aftermarket tach in the car for a quick fix until we can figure out something else.

I know this car with a good 60ft has a 9.6 at worse a low 9.7 in it with a better 60ft and the new intake that is going in when it goes back in the shop which will bump up the hp a bit.

Your right US performance shops seem to be able to extract more power out of the cars out of Japan than they can.

Originally Posted by venomws7
Saw the video Very nice Congrats Wanderer and great work AMS...

I love the video editing too..
How much does that setup cost??
Thanks

I think Rich did a great job with the video considering when he downloaded all footage and was starting to put it together his computer decided to crash and he lost almost 70% of all the track footage. They had three cameras going too. I know he was disappointed but I think he did a good job covering the 2nd Dyno day event in the video which we got a trophy for having the highest hp GT-R out of all the other shop cars that showed up...some with full turbo kits on them and then with the footage of passes down the track which unfortunately like I said he lost a lot of. We found a couple of guys that took videos from the gradstands and we will put them up without all the music etc. as soon as we get them in out hands.

Originally Posted by nzk
truly awesome achievement, it was inevitable. for $22K it better produce results. my only question is can the stock trans handle that much power? seems foolish to almost double the engine's power output yet leave the trans untouched. maybe im wrong.
Thank you

I'm glad the guys at AMS were able to deliver a car that did exactly what they said it could do with little effort. In the GT-R community it was huge news just like when we saw Ranger hit his 10 sec pass in a bone stock Z06 or when the first 9 sec Z06 run was posted on here. I'm proud of the guys that made this possible. A first class shop for sure.

All that we had to do to handle this kind of power was a PPG 1st gear upgrade, Willall seals, a stronger clip and use a new racing grade of transmission oil.

The $22k for the 850R kit is not that bad IMO if you figure in all that was done to the car and that is fully installed and comes with two tunes as well. Hey you get a 9 sec DD. I feel fortunate to be sponsored by a great performance shop.

Originally Posted by obzidian
Knowing frank (AMS) they probably have the clutches in there... but who to say that will hold with probably over 800awhp. (146mph traps in that car, they have to be over 800awhp, the ASR did 140mph with about 800awhp)
Hey Angel

Still on the stock clutch. We have a great tuner and no clutch or shifting issues at all so far!

I can't disclose names but AMS is working with one of the major clutch company's that all of you would recognize on a new replacement clutch that will be able to hold over a 1000whp. They better because AMS has two other GT-Rs coming out soon one in a few weeks with at least 900awhp and then later on in the summer my buddies monster that will be at least 1200 awhp probably more. BTW they will have turbo kits on them. Both have built motors. One with only rods and pistons and other I can't say....you know got to keep some things from the competition.

BTW ASR's record was broken by the Booslogic GT-R yesterday at the Texas MIle. They ran 197mph. We run tomorrow. Hoping to join the 200mph club but if we do it won't be by much as we think the stock gearing and rev limiter will keep us from going any faster on this car. They are working on a fix for the big build cars I mentioned before.

Again thanks guys for all your kind words guys.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:38 AM
nzk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wanderer Z06

All that we had to do to handle this kind of power was a PPG 1st gear upgrade, Willall seals, a stronger clip and use a new racing grade of transmission oil.

The $22k for the 850R kit is not that bad IMO if you figure in all that was done to the car and that is fully installed and comes with two tunes as well. Hey you get a 9 sec DD. I feel fortunate to be sponsored by a great performance shop.

Still on the stock clutch. We have a great tuner and no clutch or shifting issues at all so far!

so there were some trans upgrades required? i did not see that on their website as part of the package. for me the trans in the GTR is the best and worst part about the car. hopefully someone is able to develop a complete trans package that stands up to abuse and power upgrades. amazing that the stock clutches can hold that much power. good luck at the mile and keep us posted!
Old 03-27-2010, 10:41 AM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really cool vid and the car sounds mean going down the track. Love to see stuff like this where folks take these and any car for that matter to the next level. Congrats on a very impressive machine...
Old 03-27-2010, 10:47 AM
greekc6
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

been to the txs supra meets the last 2 years. missed this year but def not gonna miss next year. awesome events. congrats on cracking into the 9's wanderer
Old 03-27-2010, 11:16 AM
blkz
Pro

There are a number of AMS dealers around the US , I know some better than many . What shop did you use ? Thanks . Amazing sound .
Old 03-27-2010, 11:42 AM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Omega Man
Did they let a 4 year old edit the footage at the track? Has to be one of the worst editing jobs I have even seen.
Funny always has to be a hater... everyone else loves the video...

Having owned a Twin turbo z06 and a supercharged z06... i can tell you the GTR is the best car i have ever owned.

my was will get the AMS turbo upgrades and i will actually enjoy my HP .. without spinning on the street until 100..

big congrats Frank!!

cant wait to see the mile results!
Old 03-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Omega Man
Race Director

Location: I speak the truth. Harsh but accurate. The Woodlands Texas
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

No I am not hating. I am impressed that the car is running 9's but the track video is blowing donkey nuts.

Watch it again and see. The camera is all over the place. They got some real good footage of the left lane outside wall.

If your going to go through the effort of making a video like that, you should at least have some decent track footage. The launches were ok, but the rest, not so much.

With the type of camera they had you would think they could have used better footage.

Just the facts here. Nothing more nothing less.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:19 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

saw the car at texas mile nice car.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Thanks everyone.

I'm at work but I'll answer all these posts when I finish.

I might have a report from the mile by then but I know on the first pass the car ran a 195mph but there was a mess up by the driver and he had to shut it down before the end.They are going to allow him one more pass since the rules state if you go over 190mpph you have to have a Cage in the car. I hope we get a good pass cause this is the only try we are going to get at the record.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:35 PM
stockticker
Racer

i still dont see the big deal. the car wont last long without constant maintenance to run that boost level all the time. they'll detune it now that they've had their 15 minutes of fame.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:06 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats Wanderer Z06!! Awesome times! Love the Nissan GTR!

How is street traction (even with AWD) at those power levels?
Old 03-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I know it is not Z06 related but I thought a congrats would be in place from some of his Z06 brothers.
Frank is a Z06 owner and this is just his other sports car so I'd say it's still relevant. I still remember when Frank first took delivery of the GT-R and trusted me to drive it on track, in the rain no less.

Frank is a class act and is now pondering Z06 upgrades for a more worthy road track car.

Hope to see you with the bow-tie power at Track Attack so we can work on your heel-to-toe, something you can't practice on your GT-R.

Congratulations Frank!

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Forum member Wanderer Z06 breaks world record!the quickest/ fastest GTR VIDEO!!

Old 03-27-2010, 04:27 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

frank u here at the mile?

if so did u drive today?
Old 03-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nzk
so there were some trans upgrades required? i did not see that on their website as part of the package. for me the trans in the GTR is the best and worst part about the car. hopefully someone is able to develop a complete trans package that stands up to abuse and power upgrades. amazing that the stock clutches can hold that much power. good luck at the mile and keep us posted!
Yes there are a couple of levels of trans upgrades that Shep is doing and then AMS is working with a transmission company that builds racing trans to offer to the really high hp cars that we will see in the future.

Thanks!!

Originally Posted by 30YR W8T
Really cool vid and the car sounds mean going down the track. Love to see stuff like this where folks take these and any car for that matter to the next level. Congrats on a very impressive machine...
Thank you

If your a car guy you will always appreciate any platform that performs well on the track or street.

Originally Posted by blkz
There are a number of AMS dealers around the US , I know some better than many . What shop did you use ? Thanks . Amazing sound .
Thanks!

There is only one AMS and their in Chicago. There are other shops that sell and maybe install their parts but I know a shop that sells AMS and a lot of other peoples parts and I'm not sure I would go there to get a build done on my car.

Having owned a Twin turbo z06 and a supercharged z06... i can tell you the GTR is the best car i have ever owned.

my was will get the AMS turbo upgrades and i will actually enjoy my HP .. without spinning on the street until 100..

big congrats Frank!!

cant wait to see the mile results!
I can't wait for the results at the mile myself.

Thanks Sam

Originally Posted by Omega Man
No I am not hating. I am impressed that the car is running 9's but the track video is blowing donkey nuts.

Watch it again and see. The camera is all over the place. They got some real good footage of the left lane outside wall.

If your going to go through the effort of making a video like that, you should at least have some decent track footage. The launches were ok, but the rest, not so much.

With the type of camera they had you would think they could have used better footage.

Just the facts here. Nothing more nothing less.
I don't know if you read my first post but Rich lost 70% of the track footage when his computer crashed so he had very little to work with and I think he did a great job of filling in with more dyno day coverage.

Originally Posted by dvandentop
saw the car at texas mile nice car.
Thanks

Hope to see you at the Katech Track Attack event only this time I'm bringing the Z06. Mike called me the other day to ask if I was coming and what car I would bring. I'd need use my street tune (93 octane) and put some JRZ or Penske triples on and probably a brake upgrade to keep the car on a road course without looking like a drift car.

Have fun in Texas

Originally Posted by stockticker
i still dont see the big deal. the car wont last long without constant maintenance to run that boost level all the time. they'll detune it now that they've had their 15 minutes of fame.
And your an expert I assume. No disrespect but this car has been runing daily on the street since last year ( no winters) with over 610awhp and been on a few tracks without one problem. I will run a 93 octane tune with about 665awhp and then the race gas map for the track.....15 minutes of glory? Seriously

Being first is always special but it is short lived. Now I want to take this car east to MIR and get a few other Z06s , GT-Rs, Vipers and any other cars that wants to attend and do a track rental so we can make more than 1 pass without getting the boot. I hear the track runs fast and there have been a lot of records broken there. like Rangers and Jamie for example

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Last edited by Wanderer Z06; 03-27-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:49 PM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

Nice Job Wanderer, Must be real exciting hitting the 9 sec mark! Congrats Fellow New Yorker!

Quick Reply: Forum member Wanderer Z06 breaks world record!the quickest/ fastest GTR VIDEO!!