Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

C6Z vs GT2 vs ACR vs GTR

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 03:45 PM
capn37
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CJZ06
I know this is going to come to a shock to many of you..... However, there are a lot of great cars out there. In the last year I have had a Gallardo, 2 Vettes, 997s, Viper, and a couple of Saleens. I would own any of these again! The Z is a great car but go drive a Gallardo, or GT2 or even a GT3 and you will understand. It is A lot more than just times. I have never once had a concern dropping my cars off for service with Lambo or Porsche....

But hey it is your money and if all you are worried about are a second here or there or my car is 3 miles per hour faster than yours then good luck... BTW -- how many of you can make your cars duplicate these numbers produced?
You're missing the point. The article is titled "The Ultimate Track Test" not "The Ultimate Grand Tourer" or "The Best All Around." So given the title they strayed way off course. The Viper in this test proved to be the best track car hands down. It wasn't even close, but they found a way to give it 3rd place. And really had to stretch to give the GTR first. I mean seriously they didn't even use the lap time in the scoring. Without the lap time its just another subjective road test.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just read the article and was disappointed to say the least. I just don't see my car "sniffing the pavement" when I brake hard. I just don't agree with anything they say. And as an added insult, they think it's the WORST looking to boot.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:45 PM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

Originally Posted by IRS-Cop
And of course the GT-R gets spanked in the review yet wins enough subjective categories to take 1st place!....lol
I see this kind of thing in the mags all the time. I probably will not ever subscribe to another one because of this. If they are going to do tests, then pick the winner from the test results, not opinion. Sheesh.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:51 PM
eddiehaskell
Advanced

Originally Posted by KILR-RYD
Did you know they didnt use the LC and they didnt remove the limiter!!'

that alone will shave atleast .6-.8 sec off the time of the quater and raise the trap by atleast 8-10mph

No one said that the GT-R is a drag racer, but it surely knows how to turn for being 3800+lb and 473hp compare it to the Z06 and you will see how bad *** the car is for the track..
Umm, this may be a stupid question, but how did they get their 0-150mph time for the GTR if the car had a 111mph limiter? It seems like it would be impossible to run 0-150 in 26.6 seconds if the car can't do over 111mph.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:01 PM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

Originally Posted by fiveodude
If you bash C&D, remember they also brought us this. I don't remeber too many Z06 guys upset at the time.

--> http://youtube.com/watch?v=eMr4QHchkD4

Look, I'm not going to watch that. When a car is good and everyone knows it as the Z06 is. It has proven itself in real life.

When another car such as the GTR comes out with mythical numbers not backed up by the car's characteristics, you will (and should) have a lot of doubters. That is what you have.

People are not balking because they are Vette biased (although they are), but they are saying that the hp/weight of the car does not bear out the claims with the 'ringer' cars that were shipped here.

Cars that are not bought at the dealership or were not produced for sale should be considered ringers. It makes sense to do this so that excitement is generated to increase sales. Next thing you know you buy the car and it's not what you expected. OOps.

Can't blame anyone for doubting, as all the hype is just too much.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:11 PM
eddiehaskell
Advanced

If the GTR turns out to be a lot slower than the ringers, I think we should have a ban on discussing future Nissan vehicles until they actually hit the dealer's lot.

It looks like a lot of time and bandwidth was wasted by discussing this car.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:36 PM
BoostManiac
Team Owner

Location: Deplorable 160 Proof Olde Anglo-Saxon in Atlanta, GA
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

That was by far the weakest 1/4 mile ET and trap I've ever seen for a GT-R. And yet it still beat the Z06 on the road course in spite of weighing 800 lbs more, a stronger example would have been even quicker. That's a very impressive demonstration of the capabilities of the GT-R, too bad it's a pig. The lighter sport version rated at 530 HP should be really nasty.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:38 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Guys, these articles are designed to sell magazines and build interest through controversy. Witness the response on this thread.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:39 PM
BoostManiac
Team Owner

Location: Deplorable 160 Proof Olde Anglo-Saxon in Atlanta, GA
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Verrückt
The poor trap speeds shown by both the turbo cars is explainable by the test locale.

California has the worst premium fuel in the country. The 91 octane pisswater WILL cause high performance cars to lose power. Turbo cars are by far the most effected. Both the Porsche and the GTR were about 5 mph down on their trap speeds. The Viper and Vette run lower "effective" compression ratios meaning bad fuel isn't going to cause as many problems. A Porsche GT2 runs 9.4:1 static compression + 20 psi of boost = over 20:1 "effective" compression ratio. Turbo cars will run very retarded timing and may even be dropping boost with poor fuel.

Test these cars on 93-94 east cost premium and you'd see better performace out of the turbo cars.

Eitherway, the Z06 did a great job and would still be my choice out of that crowd if I was paying.

Any smart turbo owner knows fuel is critical and often brings a lil' race gas for the track anyway. I would hate to run crap 91 in my car. Even at stock boost, increased octane will allow the computer to take full advantage of timing for substantial extra HP, I've witnessed this on the dyno many times.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:08 AM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Enough with the GTR. Its all about the lap times.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Kzof
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bigbucks
With Sport Cups on the Z06, it'd probably come very close to the Viper's times. An R compound against the GY runflats is not a fair comparison of the car's capabilities. You've got to at least put the same class of tire on the cars.

In the AX's I participate in, a car with R compound tires (and only that change) is placed in the modified category with cars with lots of other mods to the motor, suspension, etc.

In a 45 second AX, the difference in my times solely due to tires (R compound Goodrich vs Bridgestone Pole Postion S03) is almost 3 seconds. It is all about the tires.
How about testing with what the car comes with STOCK. If the shoe was on the other foot and someone said oh this car or that car would do better with different tires you guys would start screaming that it wouldnt be fair.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Bigbucks
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kzof
How about testing with what the car comes with STOCK. If the shoe was on the other foot and someone said oh this car or that car would do better with different tires you guys would start screaming that it wouldnt be fair.
Not me. The only true test of a car vs another car is to have the exact same tires on both cars with the same driver. If not possible, then at least the same type of tires on both cars. Having R compounds on one car and street tires on the other isn't a valid comparison of the car's capabilities. It may represent the stock configuration, but it is not a good comparison.

As a car buyer, I want to know the true differences between the cars being compared. They've got to be compared on the same track, same time, same driver, same tires.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Zlicious
Drifting

Z06 out ran the GT2 to 150..
Old 06-25-2008, 09:31 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not me. The only true test of a car vs another car is to have the exact same tires on both cars with the same driver. If not possible, then at least the same type of tires on both cars. Having R compounds on one car and street tires on the other isn't a valid comparison of the car's capabilities. It may represent the stock configuration, but it is not a good comparison.

As a car buyer, I want to know the true differences between the cars being compared. They've got to be compared on the same track, same time, same driver, same tires.

No one who does HPDE events or races regularly, uses the stock tires. So tests of stock vs. stock are meaningless. We're not testing tires here. We want to know what the CAR can do. We want to know what the car can do in the REAL world, Not in a magazine.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Blame GM for not offering a better tire option on the Z06. These are stock OEM cars, GM should've learned a LONG time ago to offer an optional tire, since they don't they give up time.

Kinda funny, when the Z06 is tested against other cars, like the GT500 or others and wins.....noone complains that the car that lost wasn't running the same tires the Z06 was

BTW another thing, C&D again mentioned the crappy seats.....what do you think will be mentioned as a negative when the ZR1 is tested....yep the seats. Another place GM could've improved the C6 platform, instead of better seat option or higher performance tire, you get bluetooth support.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:53 AM
McMung
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Blame GM for not offering a better tire option on the Z06. These are stock OEM cars, GM should've learned a LONG time ago to offer an optional tire, since they don't they give up time.

Kinda funny, when the Z06 is tested against other cars, like the GT500 or others and wins.....noone complains that the car that lost wasn't running the same tires the Z06 was
Worst. Argument. Ever.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Bigbucks
Pro

If the cars ran on the same class of tires, I would have nothing to complain about. But R compounds on one car and street tires on the other is a big no-no when it comes to car comparisons. Had the ACR been on any other street tire (doesn't have to be GY runflats), then OK, but putting Sport Cups on the car and then trying to 'compare' cars is meaningless.

Any comparison test (of any kind) requires controlling the variables to the greatest extent possible. This includes the track, the day, the driver, and the tires. Allowing one car to run R tires while the other is on street tires is like having two different drivers - one experienced and one novice.

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z vs GT2 vs ACR vs GTR

Old 06-25-2008, 10:23 AM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

If the cars ran on the same class of tires, I would have nothing to complain about. But R compounds on one car and street tires on the other is a big no-no when it comes to car comparisons. Had the ACR been on any other street tire (doesn't have to be GY runflats), then OK, but putting Sport Cups on the car and then trying to 'compare' cars is meaningless.

Any comparison test (of any kind) requires controlling the variables to the greatest extent possible. This includes the track, the day, the driver, and the tires. Allowing one car to run R tires while the other is on street tires is like having two different drivers - one experienced and one novice.
I'll add that controlling variables should be done for things that are not being tested. So, if we are not testing tires, then they should be as similar as possible.

Out of all the mods, I think tires is the one that should be allowed when testing or comparing performance cars as they make a huge difference. Since all the comparisons seem to always mention the cost of the cars, then simply add the cost of the equiv tires to the test before doing it.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Keep in mind guys. That the Porsche GT2 was on the same tires like the ACR. And the ACR was still 4 seconds faster. IMO, I dont think that the Z06 would of beaten the Porsche GT2 if it sported R compound tires. But, would of ended up in 3rd place in front of the GTR.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:59 AM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

BTW another thing, C&D again mentioned the crappy seats.....what do you think will be mentioned as a negative when the ZR1 is tested....yep the seats. Another place GM could've improved the C6 platform, instead of better seat option or higher performance tire, you get bluetooth support.
I agree...only GM is to blame for offering such crappy tires on a car that obviously needs help in that area.

Change the tires, change the seats, change the steering wheel...and get rid of the freakin' smell, and now you are talking!

Quick Reply: C6Z vs GT2 vs ACR vs GTR