Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

GTO (new bodystyle)...who's got one or had one..........

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:06 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Default GTO (new bodystyle)...who's got one or had one..........

Who owns, owned or been owned..........a new body style GTO? What did you like and dislike about it?

thanks!!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:45 PM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an 06 GTO and thought it was pretty nice. Good power for the money. Very nice interior.

Great car if you want 4 seats

Pros
Very nice interior
Nice motor
Not a bad price

Cons
Blan looks
Blan looks
Blan looks
Resell will suck, so if you get it keep it..

I had to get back into a Vette..for the same motor but that weight makes all the difference..

Went from this

to this
Old 01-22-2008, 07:40 AM
silversport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2001 C5 (LS1) and a 2006 GTO (LS2)...the performance is nearly equal with the GTO having more stock HP but being heavier...I really like my GTO...the interior is a few steps up from normal GM and quite a bit nicer than my C5...think Opel/Vauxhaul/Holden...there is a little squat on acceleration...that LS2 is a Honey! ...of course handling is not Corvette like but it isn't a dud either...I think it is a LOT of car for the money...it appears a lot smaller than it is...I am 6' 6" tall with long legs and fit fine...easier to get in and out of than my 'Vette...a nice DD that can hold 4 people but the two getting in the back need to be gymnasts...once back there they will be comfortable...mine's been fine...
Bill

Last edited by silversport; 01-22-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:41 AM
silversport
Melting Slicks

what kind of wheels did you have on that Brazen Orange beauty???...I can see that you really traded up...sweet (and my favorite color too) Lingenfelter...
Bill
Old 01-22-2008, 09:43 AM
cbonsall
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '11

i have an 06 spice red. i like the car alot. only problem i`ve had was the rack and pinion blew a seal while 1000 miles from my house. warranty covered so.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:40 PM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by silversport
what kind of wheels did you have on that Brazen Orange beauty???...I can see that you really traded up...sweet (and my favorite color too) Lingenfelter...
Bill
Thanks, its all Auth. Lingenfelter body parts waiting on motor since I have so much B2B warranty left. I like the rear the most since its the one part you can not buy.

The rims were Hi Performance Design. They do not make 19s anymore and that is what was on the car. 19s all the way around. If you wanted 18s or 20s let me know I am friends with the account.

Jon

Last edited by XCELER8; 01-22-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:58 PM
TrueBlueConvert
Drifting

I Currently own an 06 GTO power is great, interior is ok, but great compared to other GM products, alot suffer from a strut rub issue, some of them suffer from an annoying as hell rattle in the dash that has been diagnosoed as a loose washer or something in the like in the dash drivers side. Nearly impossible to get serious rubber in the rear without rolling or some cutting the rear fenders. And im sorry i find the handling and stability to be spotty at high speeds, at least mine doesnt exude confidence. And im not a newbie as ive had quite a few cars in my day. On the stock tires i have 18's and bridgestones but i've seen many with the 17's that came with bfg's end up crashing in the slightest rainy conditions, ive had my hands full more than i care to remember. Many say that is easily cured with a change of tires, but again ive seen many with different rubber stuffing them in ditches gaurdrails, other cars you name it in wet conditions and not always driving like they stole em. If your buying used you will do better then those that bought new cause the resale is garbage.

But with some searching there are still new 06's on dealer lots around the country. I have a few nagging issues with mine but havent had the time to get it to the dealer yet. I strongly suggest you visit ls1gto.com and ls2gto.com do some research. and search wrecked my gto/goat today and read up on all that you can. I love the power but relly thats all, i found my C5 more comfortable, and the styling is very bland if i wasnt so upside down i would sell mine or trade down a few years for another C5 or even gasp trade it in on A Charger again as i traded my Charger Daytona for it (mistake) but this time get the SRT8. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by TrueBlueConvert; 01-22-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:53 PM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

If your buying used you will do better then those that bought new cause the resale is garbage.
Some dealers are desperate to get rid of there vettes...

I had 0% on mine for 60 months on top of that the dealer made me a HELLA of a deal on my on GTO and C6. Paid 29,000 plus TTL for it new.

My 06 GTO had 30k miles on it in one year and the dealer gave me 24,500 on trade in and got my 2300 mile Z51 fully loaded 1SB for 37500...KILLER DEAL..so they are out there.

Last edited by XCELER8; 01-22-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:50 AM
silversport
Melting Slicks

you scored all the way around...I bought mine new in 2007...dealers refused to "deal" on them much but I finally got mine down to a price I wanted to pay and I got the SAP that I wanted...I agree on the BFG tires...I have the 17s and driving normally in the rain I have done a couple unintended "auto rotations" going around curves......thanks for the info on the wheels and I really dig the rear end of that C6...sweeeeet!
Bill
Old 01-23-2008, 09:49 AM
MidLifeinMI
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an '04 for a while after my '02 C5, and really enjoyed it as a DD. I was fast enough for me (obviously not as fast as the lighter C5), but the handling was not really any better than your average sport sedan. It did have a VERY nice interior (I liked the C5 instrument cluster better), and some of the nicest seats I've ever sat in. I had very few problems with it (subwoofer rattle, loose knee bolster, sticky switch for the dome light), but eventually tired of driving the sloppy MN6 in daily stop-and-go traffic. They are pretty bland on the outside, but not ugly, and in some views can look pretty aggressive.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:02 PM
2 LOW 4 YOU
Pro

Old 01-23-2008, 06:59 PM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by cbonsall
i have an 06 spice red. i like the car alot. only problem i`ve had was the rack and pinion blew a seal while 1000 miles from my house. warranty covered so.
I never see a red GTO around Portrichey, i do see a yellow and black GTO around here alot.

I had a 05 Quicksilver a4 GTO that i liked alot, had plenty of power, but traded it for a Vette.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:18 PM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2005 6 speed

+ Power and sound (even burbles when downshifting)
+ Interior, especially the seats and leather
+ Good MPG for a 400 hp, 160 mph car. I got almost 25 MPG at a steady 75 MPH (drove it to Idaho from Chicago and back)

- The power seats move slooooow for back seat access (supposedly fixed in 2006)
- Bland looks, although the '05 has a nice dual exhaust and bigger brakes
- Strut rub. I blew out one tire from this but the dealer fixed the root cause under warranty
Old 01-24-2008, 12:10 AM
ruf455
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I had one (5.7) and wished I had gotten a 6.0. Otherwise, it was a great car over all. I spend my time inside, not standing out, so the interior was a plus and the exterior was more than livable. The interior (RED!) is what I will miss the most. It had so so breaking ability, and handled ok...but it could get a little out of sorts if you provoked it hard enough. It needed a whole suspension tune up if you ask me. Do not ever think you will sell it with out taking a hit. The resale is in the dump on those. I had mine up for sale a half a year and ONE person came to see it. I traded it in once it needed tires, the door lock actuators broke (again) and the car would fight you to engage in 1st and reverse. I took the tax break and ran like hell...

Next time, I'll have an '06 auto...but it will be a while before I want one again.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
Who owns, owned or been owned..........a new body style GTO? What did you like and dislike about it?

thanks!!
Couldn't resist an 04 at the end of the year in '04....$6500 in rebates + special lease, 24/18k for $350.

I found a QS on RedHot. Awesome combo!

Interior - TOP NOTCH

Ride / Drive - Touring GT, amazing on the HWY. Quiet, smooth comfortable.

Performance - Acceleration, LS1 - Excellent, but heavy car. Not a C5.

Handling - Balanced, not a race car, but very good

Braking - TERRIBLE!!! Upgraded C5 pads provided a small margin of improvement. 04 needs brake upgrade!!

Of course, after I slid a G5X3, LS6 heads and SW headers...it was

Why did I sell it? - No trunk, couldn't take my roller bag and golf clubs in the trunk at the same time. This just didn't work for me as a daily driver.

If you are interested in another 04...I have a friend selling a mint 04, 26k miles, with big cam, headers, tune, wheels.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:45 PM
TrueBlueConvert
Drifting

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217564
Old 01-28-2008, 10:46 PM
cbonsall
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by CHASLS2
I never see a red GTO around Portrichey, i do see a yellow and black GTO around here alot.

I had a 05 Quicksilver a4 GTO that i liked alot, had plenty of power, but traded it for a Vette.
i guess it depends on what side of our little town your on. i`ve put almost 14 k miles on it.

here is a not so good pic of my ride.

Last edited by cbonsall; 01-28-2008 at 10:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To GTO (new bodystyle)...who's got one or had one..........

Old 01-28-2008, 11:46 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Had an '04 GTO in Cosmos Purple. VERY nice car - very tight, beautiful interior. Best back seat I've ever sat in (once you were actually IN it).

Traded the goat and the C5 on a CTS Caddy - we just had too many cars. Still in the "vette family" with a C6.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:15 PM
HUSKER-Z
Pro

05 GTO Impulse Blue here. Love it....however thinking of considering an 05 Z06...just thinking....
Old 01-29-2008, 04:47 PM
REDEVIL
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by huskergto
05 GTO Impulse Blue here. Love it....however thinking of considering an 05 Z06...just thinking....
huskergto,

GO BIG RED! sorry, I couldn't resist. I grew up in Nebraska and graduated from UNL back in 2001.

Quick Reply: GTO (new bodystyle)...who's got one or had one..........