Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Drove Testarossa and Diablo yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:59 AM
golfbone
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Drove Testarossa and Diablo yesterday

I had the experience of driving a mid 90's 12 cyl. Ferrari Testarossa and then a 12 cyl Lambo Diablo from '99.

Both had gated shifters which were very awkward and a driving position that would suit a chimpanzee much better than most humans. Both were exhilarating but brutal experiences and remind me of how civilized the Vette is. The Ferrari in particular had pedals off to the right and so close together that you could easily step on the wrong pedal. The pedals were close to your butt with the steering wheel way up and away where you had to reach for it. Both cars had a massive expanse of dash with you sitting practically on the floor trying to look up and over it. The Ferrari had no power steering or brakes and combined with the gated shifter, high clutch effort, incredible roar from the 12 cylinder engine (it sounded like two motorcycles were trying to run me down from behind) made for an absolutely brutal but exhilarating driving experience.

I could never drive either of these cars for more than an hour or so in normal traffic and I can understand how so many Lambos are crashed by inexperienced drivers. Visibility is awful and just getting in and out of the car with the upswingdoors is a contortion beyond belief.

The Vette with a Z51 package feels like a Bentley compared to either of these 2 beasts.

Both were VERY fast and unrefined. Brutal.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:12 AM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by golfbone
I had the experience of driving a mid 90's 12 cyl. Ferrari Testarossa and then a 12 cyl Lambo Diablo from '99.

Both had gated shifters which were very awkward and a driving position that would suit a chimpanzee much better than most humans. Both were exhilarating but brutal experiences and remind me of how civilized the Vette is. The Ferrari in particular had pedals off to the right and so close together that you could easily step on the wrong pedal. The pedals were close to your butt with the steering wheel way up and away where you had to reach for it. Both cars had a massive expanse of dash with you sitting practically on the floor trying to look up and over it. The Ferrari had no power steering or brakes and combined with the gated shifter, high clutch effort, incredible roar from the 12 cylinder engine (it sounded like two motorcycles were trying to run me down from behind) made for an absolutely brutal but exhilarating driving experience.

I could never drive either of these cars for more than an hour or so in normal traffic and I can understand how so many Lambos are crashed by inexperienced drivers. Visibility is awful and just getting in and out of the car with the upswingdoors is a contortion beyond belief.

The Vette with a Z51 package feels like a Bentley compared to either of these 2 beasts.

Thanks for the info, very interesting!!
Old 08-30-2007, 09:53 AM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

A few years ago I was an engineering consultant to Lamborghini on some "Lemon Law" cases here in Florida, and was FORCED to drive Diablos as part of the assignment.

I agree completely with golfbone, the Diablos are barely civilized race cars made street legal. But 535 hp from a naturally aspirated 5.7L V-12 in a four-wheel drive car can be a lot of fun, for a few minutes.

I was grateful for the experience, since it cured me of EVER wanting to own a Lambo.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:55 AM
CJ1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Default The "TR" experience....

I have had a Testarossa for about 6 years and agree that it is somewhat of a brutal car to drive sometimes, especially in stop and go traffic. The clutch will fatigue your left leg easily after 50+ engagements.

But, the upside to the TR is the uniqueness and mystique of the Marque. Just to give you an example; every time I park the TR anywhere, it gathers a crowd and knowing the full history of the model allows me to share the enthusiasm this car generates. And that, in itself, is one of the most satisfying parts of owning this car.

Even though my TR is 20 years old, the interior is immaculate with beautiful Italian leather everywhere. Simple I might add but purposeful.
I drove the TR 2,700 miles in 3 ½ days and even though it was not too uncomfortable, I was fairly worn out at the end and wasn’t too anxious to hop back in it for the return trip.

With that said, I have ordered a 2008 C6 because after having the TR for so long and making the “mistake” of test driving a 2008 C6 with the 6 speed auto paddle shift, I decided that it was time to move on.
I was also quite impressed with the C6 interior and extremely impressed with its ride comfort. I feel the same 2,700 mile trip in a C6 would leave me far more refreshed at the end.
Attached Images    
Old 08-30-2007, 09:57 AM
AD2VET
Melting Slicks

CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I envy you
Old 08-30-2007, 10:04 AM
CJ1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by AD2VET
I envy you
It is for sale..............
Old 08-30-2007, 10:19 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by CJ1957
I have had a Testarossa for about 6 years and agree that it is somewhat of a brutal car to drive sometimes, especially in stop and go traffic. The clutch will fatigue your left leg easily after 50+ engagements.

But, the upside to the TR is the uniqueness and mystique of the Marque. Just to give you an example; every time I park the TR anywhere, it gathers a crowd and knowing the full history of the model allows me to share the enthusiasm this car generates. And that, in itself, is one of the most satisfying parts of owning this car.

Even though my TR is 20 years old, the interior is immaculate with beautiful Italian leather everywhere. Simple I might add but purposeful.
I drove the TR 2,700 miles in 3 ½ days and even though it was not too uncomfortable, I was fairly worn out at the end and wasn’t too anxious to hop back in it for the return trip.

With that said, I have ordered a 2008 C6 because after having the TR for so long and making the “mistake” of test driving a 2008 C6 with the 6 speed auto paddle shift, I decided that it was time to move on.
I was also quite impressed with the C6 interior and extremely impressed with its ride comfort. I feel the same 2,700 mile trip in a C6 would leave me far more refreshed at the end.
I hope you were able to keep the TR. It ranks up there with the best that Ferrari built - but the P4 is my fave
Old 08-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience and analysis. Many would love to have the opportunity to drive such classic, exotic automobiles. I have ridden-in a couple different Ferrari's but I've never driven one. I've only seen Lambos from the outside.

A couple weeks ago I parked at a supermarket and had a brand new, red F430 park a couple spaces away from me. The Ferrari had that tremendsous, signature Ferrari sound...the car was gorgeous! I had to wait until its owner got out so I could tell him "beautiful car!"

Maybe I'll go crazy one day and buy one but all aspects of Ferrari ownership considered (and as nice as that Ferrari was), I was still pleased to be driving-away in my beautiful C6.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:33 AM
SB60
Pro

I was sooo close to buying a friends 348ts Ferrari last spring. He was upgrading to a F430. The 348 was mint! After doing lots of research on the car, I determined that it would be a royal pain in the a.. to maintain. I bought a 07 Z06 instead. It's not quite as exclusive but matches the F430 number for number as far as performance goes.

A Ferrari is a special breed. It's like buying art in motion! The fact that there have only been about 35,000 build total to Corvettes 35,000 per year says it all.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:55 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Now I know why I didn't buy one of them.........
Old 08-30-2007, 12:13 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Oh I don't doubt it, I feel almost 'Cadillac refreshed' after spending a few hours straight in the C6, the car really can do it all.
Another thing about the TR (especially the early ones) and even the Diablo is that they aren't all that fast any more. Back in the day they were monsters but by today's standards a base C6 or even a higher level sports sedan can run with/beat them. Handling/braking capabilities are generally still very strong in those cars though.
Even after 23 years (and even with that Miami Vice stigma ) it's still a good looking car.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:14 PM
GarrettDN
Racer

Sweet ride! Practicality be damned, I want one. Actually, a 512M

I have to say my favorite of all time is the F355 and/or the F50.

And someday I will have one. I think.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:23 PM
AFR VETTE
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You gotta remember that both those cars are almost 10 years old if not more drive a vette of that year and see how much more civilized they are.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,561 Likes on 531 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

How much :o
Old 08-30-2007, 01:57 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't mind driving either of these cars just for the experience.

Thanks for the write-up.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:31 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default are you crazy?

Both had gated shifters which were very awkward and a driving position that would suit a chimpanzee much better than most humans. Both were exhilarating but brutal experiences and remind me of how civilized the Vette is. The Ferrari in particular had pedals off to the right and so close together that you could easily step on the wrong pedal. The pedals were close to your butt with the steering wheel way up and away where you had to reach for it. Both cars had a massive expanse of dash with you sitting practically on the floor trying to look up and over it. The Ferrari had no power steering or brakes and combined with the gated shifter, high clutch effort, incredible roar from the 12 cylinder engine (it sounded like two motorcycles were trying to run me down from behind) made for an absolutely brutal but exhyilarating driving experience.

you can't post negative stuff about a ferrari-why they are the gold standard we've all been brought up to believe...the greatest sports cars being built and worth every penny of their huge cost-waiting lists just to get one...and you dare be critical..YOU CAD! of course you ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.
nice job...but no more,ssshhhhh,we can't let out that dirty little secret that a ferrari is not really that great a sports car compared to so many others now. whose designing these new ones?--must a 1970's retro look. as i said before,lambo makes the lookers,corvette and porsche make a great sports car,and bugatti is the most technological star.
now stop posting this stuff.next you'll be telling us iraq had nothing to do with 911....

makes n
Old 08-30-2007, 02:41 PM
jterp
Racer

How much? ?

Get notified of new replies

To Drove Testarossa and Diablo yesterday

Old 08-30-2007, 02:59 PM
gearheaddroppings
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I have a friend with a 328 in pretty much perfect condition. It is a neat car and feels like a go cart. No PS, PB.

The difference between the 328 and a C6 is vast. Even an earlier C4 is more advanced IMHO.

However, the sound the 328 makes is just incredible.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:02 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 449 Likes on 309 Posts

Thanks..I would still take either over my Z51......
Old 08-30-2007, 03:15 PM
adias
Burning Brakes

... The Vette with a Z51 package feels like a Bentley compared to either of these 2 beasts. ...
Stop for a moment... should a sports car feel like a limo ride?

I have been learning all-things Corvette, since the new 08 C6 has a couple of significant improvements AFAIC. I have been reading on this forum that most members consider the Z51 package firm/harsh/hard. So far I only drove Z51-equipped C6s and they feel to me quite soft. Given the limited experience that a dealer test drive provides, I have no experience how the car really handles. Being an experienced sports car driver, and not having extensive C6 driving experience (read, twisty mountain roads) I have concerns, given my short loop soft ride (even over uneven pavement) experience. So there you have it... what I call soft you call hard.

Quick Reply: Drove Testarossa and Diablo yesterday