Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Need a Cool Car for Wife?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 08:52 PM
C6 Vet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a Cool Car for Wife?

I am looking for something nice for my wife but fun and fast for me when I have to drive it. I want to be in the 25k to 35k price range. I am looking at Acura Tl's, 2006 GTO's, or ??? Car has to be hard loaded with automatic and new not used, anyone got suggestions?
Old 06-20-2007, 08:58 PM
archtop
Drifting

Base model with auto BMW 335i sedan still comes with more bells and whistles than you need.Might get one discounted for around 38k. I have a coupe with the step tranny and its an awesome machine.Shifts almost as fast as the SMG in my friends new M5 and a lot smoother.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:37 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

GTO's seem to be selling new in the 26 or 28 dollar range.

If you don't need a four door thats a hell of a ride..

If you need a four door? I'd go directly to the Pontiac G8 with the 362hp V8 and 6 speed automatic.

If you need awd ? I'd consider the upcoming Evo X with DSG (a dual clutch sequential automatic)
Old 06-21-2007, 12:06 AM
HIRISC
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I'll toss in a vote for the TL.

IMO, the best car available for under $35K.

We've had one for 2 years - I'd actually rather drive that than my 06' BMW X5 4.4i.

$0.02 deposited

GL on your choice - lot's of good options.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:36 AM
C6 Vet
Instructor

Thanks for suggestions and please keep them coming. I test drove a 2006 TL today and it was nice but after driving the C6 every day I want more power maybe the Type S would do it for me but it is 38K. I love BMW's but figured I would have to get a entry level car to keep it under 35K I will check dealer asap. The GTO is only 28k has LS2 power and cool cockpit, but not sure on exterior looks. Wife want's another Accord but that would make it our 6th one and it is not exciting to me. What am I overlooking out there?
Old 06-21-2007, 02:12 AM
sampson
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on the GTO. There are still a decent amount of new cars to be had and the dealers will cut some bargains.
Interior is well built, stock radio sounds great and car rides very nice for a 2 door tourer & aftermarket is plentiful on CAI, cat-backs, headers, shifters, maggies, you name it. Even Webasto makes a great sunroof.
Trunk is big enough for a run to the food store or long weekend away and the back seats are very comfy. Plus it's not the car you see at every corner.
There's haters that will compare it to the Cavalier, but that's a jealousy of the power issue they need to work out
Old 06-21-2007, 08:38 AM
JLC629
Melting Slicks

I believe that the TL will get a redo for '08. Who wants yesterday's model?
Old 06-21-2007, 08:46 AM
illinest
Pro

i think more attention needs to be paid to the Pontiac sedans if Accord is her goal and a little more excitement is your goal.
I imagine she (as with most women) would feel more comfortable with a FWD vehicle, and it looks like you aren't cool with spending large amounts of money.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:03 AM
vtresto
Drifting

Originally Posted by C6 Vet
Thanks for suggestions and please keep them coming. I test drove a 2006 TL today and it was nice but after driving the C6 every day I want more power maybe the Type S would do it for me but it is 38K. I love BMW's but figured I would have to get a entry level car to keep it under 35K I will check dealer asap. The GTO is only 28k has LS2 power and cool cockpit, but not sure on exterior looks. Wife want's another Accord but that would make it our 6th one and it is not exciting to me. What am I overlooking out there?
This might sound sexist but if the car's for your wife, i don't think she would care as much about power over comfort & style.

I think the Acura TL would be the best choice and an entry level BMW is still a BMW so she might love that as well.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:13 PM
78-Bandit
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait for the new Camaro
Old 06-21-2007, 04:20 PM
BLAQK
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

dodge, chrysler line...300, charger, magnum

You could get by even cheaper with a nice new Scion. Honestly the xB i just bought isn't very snappy at all but it is so fun to drive and I get about 38mpg running around town with my little box. The new ones went to a 2.4L motor and have some creature comforts available that weren't on previous models. Nav, dvd, etc... Just a thought
Old 06-21-2007, 05:30 PM
AHTTG
Instructor

I don't think women generally go for the absolute best performer for the money. Take the ls2 away from the pontiac and you're left with one of the most bland, rent-a-car things ever created.

How about a lexus? IS or ES, take your pic. The acura is a great car too.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:46 PM
sampson
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AHTTG
How about a lexus? IS or ES, take your pic. The acura is a great car too.
No, he said cool car. He didn't say fart can rice mobile
Old 06-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

performance looks and great interior

2007 Infiniti g35 sedan. 5.1 seconds to 60, awd all for $36,000
Old 06-22-2007, 04:29 AM
TrueBlueConvert
Drifting

here is my .02 cents im a serial car buyer ive recently had a dodge charger daytona, nice car good manners for the most part other than my first one having an oil pump failure after 2 days of ownership. it had some nagging problems that i couldnt live with after getting a replacement. But the Kicker system rocks. My GTO i amn totally in love with except for the sound system i dont care what anyone says it sucks, but the ergonomics and build quality is hands down the best that i've ever drivin in a gm car. I feel that i stole it for what i paid for it and what it is. I mean really where else can you get and LS2 great build quality and exclusivity for way under 30k now. Did i meantion this car rocks...
Old 06-22-2007, 08:05 AM
sampson
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TrueBlueConvert
here is my .02 cents im a serial car buyer ive recently had a dodge charger daytona, nice car good manners for the most part other than my first one having an oil pump failure after 2 days of ownership. it had some nagging problems that i couldnt live with after getting a replacement. But the Kicker system rocks. My GTO i amn totally in love with except for the sound system i dont care what anyone says it sucks, but the ergonomics and build quality is hands down the best that i've ever drivin in a gm car. I feel that i stole it for what i paid for it and what it is. I mean really where else can you get and LS2 great build quality and exclusivity for way under 30k now. Did i meantion this car rocks...
Good write up. The stereo in the GTO isn't the best I agree. But it can be made better. Did you setup the amp (stereo mod)? Here's a link that explains it.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:42 AM
silversport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a new '06 GTO in March of this year...there are still some out there...I wouldn't expect much better than $30K for brand new with an automatic with the current 0% for 60mos...the car appears worth it to me...MUCH nicer interior than my '01 'Vette...and I have no real complaints about my 'Vette...I have Quicksilver Metallic exterior with the RedHot interior (red and black) and normally don't do the red (so conservative) but the red interior was what my GF remarked about the most...really a step up for GM but they have their potential problems too...go to their forum and read but mine is running fine for over 2K miles and is my daily driver.

Last edited by silversport; 06-22-2007 at 08:55 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need a Cool Car for Wife?

Old 06-22-2007, 11:25 AM
zguy
Pro

Originally Posted by C6 Vet
I am looking for something nice for my wife but fun and fast for me when I have to drive it. I want to be in the 25k to 35k price range. I am looking at Acura Tl's, 2006 GTO's, or ??? Car has to be hard loaded with automatic and new not used, anyone got suggestions?
You mentioned imports so I will say what about a G35 coupe? We just sold ours since it was not great on gas mileage and you can kiss driving it in the snow goodbye unless you get an extra set of wheels with winter tires. Besides those two negatives it was a very quick and solid car. I must add though if you are a big guy you might not fit to well in the seats.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:49 PM
AHTTG
Instructor

Originally Posted by sampson
fart can rice mobile
hmmm, interesting.... maybe you have lexus confused with honda?
Old 06-22-2007, 03:14 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The 300C is a hell of a car. I think its elegant and powerful and they have to be discounting the HEMI.

Thats a great choice. Its a mercedes E class in so many ways.

Shop around as they are offering huge discounts on everything they make.

The SRT/8 if you want a craazy luxury sports sedan.

If you can wait till January get the pontiac G8 ..

Thats a looker and it performs great ..

JMO

Quick Reply: Need a Cool Car for Wife?