Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 10-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
2 Ag R8Cs
CF Senior Member

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Default Kindle owners, deal of the day $1.99 dog story

I am a sucker for dogs and when I got this email offering "From Baghdad with Love: A Marine, the War, and a Dog Named Lava [Kindle Edition]" for $1.99 i jumped on it.

I usually read a free sample before deciding to buy a book but for $1.99 I took a gamble.

I have not even started reading it yet, I just started reading Combat crew by John Comer (daily journal of a B-17 gunner) a few days ago and it will be a while before I start reading Lava.
The reviews a favorable so thought I would pass on the info to anyone else that may want to read about the dog name Lava.

I think the way this works it is a one day sale so if you do not get it today the price goes up tomorrow.

======================================== ================
5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable story that is both heartwarming and heartbreaking November 21, 2006
By Bookreporter
Format:Hardcover
When Lieutenant Colonel Jay Kopelman walks down the hallway of a compound housing U.S. Marines in Fallujah, Iraq, he's startled by a noise. He shouts and raises his gun, his nerves still on edge from having just patrolled the dangerous streets of a city in the grip of violence. His adversary? A five-week-old stray puppy. "There's fear in his eyes despite the bravado," writes Kopelman in FROM BAGHDAD, WITH LOVE. "He's only a puppy, too young to know how to mask it, so I can see how bravery and terror trap him on all sides while testosterone and adrenaline compete in the meantime for every ounce of his attention. Recognize it right away."

The "little outlaw" has been named Lava in a nod to the nickname of his rescuers' regiment --- the 1st battalion, 3rd Marines, otherwise known as the Lava Dogs. In a breach of military policy, the Lava Dogs have been secretly caring for the tiny canine. "The newest grunt" has been "de-flead with kerosene, de-wormed with chewing tobacco, and pumped full of MREs [Meals Ready to Eat]."

Although the soldiers enjoy Lava's energetic company and take comfort in the routine of caring for him, Kopelman included, they avoid talking about what will become of the puppy when they move on. And then something happens. Perhaps it's when Lava falls asleep head first in Kopelman's boots. Or maybe it's the morning he wakes up to find Lava curled in a ball at the bottom of his sleeping bag. "Once I decide to save Lava," Kopelman says, "it becomes an unprogrammable mission I don't have the smarts to reassign or the guts to walk away from."

What begins is Kopelman's five-month effort to get Lava out of Iraq and into the United States, no small feat in a war-torn country where red tape runs deep and the well-being of one dog is of little consequence except to the few who have come to care for the "cute but fairly drastic breach of military law." What is truly remarkable is that even after Kopelman leaves Iraq, the wheels keep turning to get Lava out of the country, thanks to a group of people determined to complete the mission.

Along with Kopelman's first-person account, in which he conveys the harsh realities of life in Iraq, are the stories of those who worked to help him bring Lava home. There is Sergeant Matt Hammond, a Marine recovering from life-threatening wounds who looked after Lava when Kopelman was transferred to another base, and who later arranged a special convoy to take the pup to Baghdad; Anne Garrels, an NPR journalist who sheltered Lava in Baghdad's dangerous Red Zone; "Sam," an Iraqi who risked his life obtaining vaccination papers (and dog biscuits) for Lava; and John Van Zante, director of public relations at the Helen Woodward Animal Center in California, who wonders "what the heck possessed a three-tour, tough-guy Marine to try to save a little puppy in the middle of a war."

Indeed, with death and destruction rampant in Iraq, why should the fate of a single puppy be of much importance? In the pages of FROM BAGHDAD, WITH LOVE, Lieutenant Colonel Jay Kopelman shares his and Lava's remarkable story --- one that is heartwarming and heartbreaking, inspiring and candid. Kopelman explains how and why, in the midst of war, he forged a life-altering friendship with "a mangy little mutt."

Last edited by 2 Ag R8Cs; 10-31-2013 at 09:29 AM.
2 Ag R8Cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
tex929rrr
CF Senior Member

Thanks - I just bought both books.
tex929rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
2 Ag R8Cs
CF Senior Member

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina

I just checked back today to see if the one day sale was legit. It turns out that if you buy the book today it will cost $9.59

From Baghdad with Love: A Marine, the War, and a Dog Named Lava [Kindle Edition]
Jay Kopelman (Author), Melinda Roth (Author)
4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (207 customer reviews)
Digital List Price: $11.99 What's this?
Print List Price: $14.95
Kindle Price: $9.59
You Save: $5.36 (36%)
2 Ag R8Cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:49 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page Kindle owners, deal of the day $1.99 dog story