Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
SLO VETTE
CF Senior Member
 
SLO VETTE's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2001
Default Septic tank experts: is Rid-X any good? Or bad?

Subject says it all.....

Question is for family member with a residential tank, about 1250 gal, with 3 dry wells for the liquids. Tank and wells running perfect thus far for about 2 decades, and it gets annual pumping and inspection.

I've read conflicting reports on Rid-X, and the septic service (who's continually serviced the system) has said absolutely do not use it. I'm just wondering it that's to ensure their continued service bill.
SLO VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
The_Dude
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11
 
The_Dude's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2001
Location: abiding
Default

Why bother if you're pumping annually. Our septic guy told us every 5 years was fine.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Czarvette
CF Senior Member
 
Czarvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2009
Location: Rain Festival Headquarters, Upstate NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO VETTE View Post
Subject says it all.....

Question is for family member with a residential tank, about 1250 gal, with 3 dry wells for the liquids. Tank and wells running perfect thus far for about 2 decades, and it gets annual pumping and inspection.

I've read conflicting reports on Rid-X, and the septic service (who's continually serviced the system) has said absolutely do not use it. I'm just wondering it that's to ensure their continued service bill.
Heard the same from our septic guy. Problem supposedly is that it liquifies the sludge which is then transported to your leach field, where it resolidifies and clogs up the leach field.

Better to have the tank pumped on a regular basis. The purpose is to remove the sludge that settles in bottom of the tank, but annual pumpings sound way too often. How much sludge is really in there after a year?
Czarvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
jmc12
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
 
jmc12's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: Sarasota Fl. U.S.A.
Default

I have heard not to use it, no matter if you use it are not, you still need to pump the tank at least every two years..

With that being said (pump every two years) after I bought my house, within two years it needed to be pumped.. When the guy took the cover off he said, I bet this has never been pumped out, see how thick the crust is, he had to break it apart with a shovel..

Last edited by jmc12; 06-04-2013 at 02:22 PM.
jmc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
98vert6spd
CF Senior Member
 
98vert6spd's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2004
Location: Lovin Life Oh
Default

pump every 3-5 years and dont do anything else to it.

Also if you have a pump in it that pumps the water into the field, i tend to replace those with normal sump pump rather than grinder pumps.

I could be wrong but heres my mentality on it.

If the pump sucks up a solid somehow which could happen, or a tampon string or who knows what. Rather than the pump grind it up and send it into my leach field, id rather it burn up the pump. then i go to HD and pick up another sump pump for 129 or even free if the old one was still under warranty and im back in business as opposed to having a bunch of solids in my leach field.

I do this with all of my rental properties and my house. has worked so far.
98vert6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
Mirroredshades
CF Senior Member
 
Mirroredshades's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Hookers and Blow NC
Default

I was watching hgtv or something and they said that flushing a thing of yogurt once a month is better than the $8 treatments. Don't know if it's true but we go through a ton of yogurt.

Mirroredshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
SLO VETTE
CF Senior Member
 
SLO VETTE's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2001
Default

I guess this question is like asking which pizza is better, pepperoni or mushroom?



Thanks for the info though.
SLO VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
UNX PGMR
CF Senior Member
 
UNX PGMR's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2000
Default

Total waste of money.

According to RID-X (http://www.rid-x.com/faq.shtml)
Q: How does RID-X work?

A: RID-X Septic Tank System Treatment contains billions of 100% natural active bacteria and enzymes to break down household waste. By adding RID-X, you restore the delicate balance of beneficial bacterial and enzymes needed to help keep your system operating at full efficiency.

But according to Washington State University http://clark.wsu.edu/horticulture/sm...-additives.pdf

The simple act of using the system promotes the growth of bacteria needed to make the system work. The amount of
bacteria or enzyme in an additive dose remains small compared to the bacteria already in a tank and therefore provides little, if
any, benefit in wastewater breakdown. In addition, if many of the bacteria in your tank died due to introduction of a harmful
substance, introduced bacteria will likely die as well. One study of 48 septic tanks found no difference in sludge level between
tanks that used bacterial additives and those that did not (McKenzie, 1999).
UNX PGMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
The_Dude
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11
 
The_Dude's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2001
Location: abiding
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirroredshades View Post
I was watching hgtv or something and they said that flushing a thing of yogurt once a month is better than the $8 treatments. Don't know if it's true but we go through a ton of yogurt.

I eat a lot of yogurt, so it gets in there one way or the other.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
EuroRod
CF Senior Member
 
EuroRod's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Default

My tank is 27 years old. Never flushed. Never pumped. Never put in additional bacteria.

Never had a minutes problem.

My garden is built over my septic field, and it grows great veggies!
EuroRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
Mirroredshades
CF Senior Member
 
Mirroredshades's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Hookers and Blow NC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
I eat a lot of yogurt, so it gets in there one way or the other.
That's what I'm sayin Dude.

Mirroredshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
jmc12
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
 
jmc12's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: Sarasota Fl. U.S.A.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroRod View Post
My tank is 27 years old. Never flushed. Never pumped. Never put in additional bacteria.

Never had a minutes problem.

My garden is built over my septic field, and it grows great veggies!

I bet it is getting close to pump time, you have to have a lot of solids in there.. That is about how old my house is..

What hapenned was the crust got so high it would not let water out, that is what the guy told me..
jmc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
The_Dude
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11
 
The_Dude's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2001
Location: abiding
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc12 View Post
I bet it is getting close to pump time, you have to have a lot of solids in there.. That is about how old my house is..

What hapenned was the crust got so high it would not let water out, that is what the guy told me..
It's not fun when it decides to backup.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #14
Railroadman
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13
 
Railroadman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester NY
Default

Septic guy told me use Rid-X and buttermilk. You're scaring me with these "don't ever" stories!
Railroadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #15
The_Dude
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11
 
The_Dude's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2001
Location: abiding
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroadman View Post
Septic guy told me use Rid-X and buttermilk. You're scaring me with these "don't ever" stories!
It may be a waste of money, but I seriously doubt it's harmful.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #16
Mirroredshades
CF Senior Member
 
Mirroredshades's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Hookers and Blow NC
Default

When I bought my house, it hadn't been done in 15 years. It was about 1/3 full of chit. Don't know why people think it needs to be done every few years. Unless you are related to Gozar.

Mirroredshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #17
corvettezman
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13
Support Corvetteforum!
 
corvettezman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Home of the VOLS ! Knoxville, TN. Tennessee
Default

Click the image to open in full size.
corvettezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #18
The_Dude
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11
 
The_Dude's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2001
Location: abiding
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirroredshades View Post
When I bought my house, it hadn't been done in 15 years. It was about 1/3 full of chit. Don't know why people think it needs to be done every few years. Unless you are related to Gozar.

We let it go for something like 8 or 9 years. Septic guy said it was time, and that the recommended interval was 5. We don't have a pump in our system though.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #19
Bingo Fuel
CF Senior Member
 
Bingo Fuel's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: I Lack Boundaries
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNX PGMR View Post
Total waste of money.

According to RID-X (http://www.rid-x.com/faq.shtml)
Q: How does RID-X work?

A: RID-X Septic Tank System Treatment contains billions of 100% natural active bacteria and enzymes to break down household waste. By adding RID-X, you restore the delicate balance of beneficial bacterial and enzymes needed to help keep your system operating at full efficiency.

But according to Washington State University http://clark.wsu.edu/horticulture/sm...-additives.pdf

The simple act of using the system promotes the growth of bacteria needed to make the system work. The amount of
bacteria or enzyme in an additive dose remains small compared to the bacteria already in a tank and therefore provides little, if
any, benefit in wastewater breakdown. In addition, if many of the bacteria in your tank died due to introduction of a harmful
substance, introduced bacteria will likely die as well. One study of 48 septic tanks found no difference in sludge level between
tanks that used bacterial additives and those that did not (McKenzie, 1999).
^ This

Adding RID-X is like adding a teaspoon of salt to the ocean.
Try not to use bleach in your laundry or drain cleaners that kill off the bacteria.
If you're concerned about solids getting into the drainfield,
install an in-expensive filter on the out-flow side of the septic tank.
When you have your tank pumped, they remove the filter, hose it off and re-install it.
Bingo Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #20
Swany00
CF Senior Member
 
Swany00's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2005
Location: Sacramento Ca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroRod View Post
My tank is 27 years old. Never flushed. Never pumped. Never put in additional bacteria.

Never had a minutes problem.

My garden is built over my septic field, and it grows great veggies!
nice
Swany00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:00 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page Septic tank experts: is Rid-X any good? Or bad?
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rant: Septic system ChaosPhoenixFix Off Topic 32 04-25-2014 07:55 PM
Septic/gray water question Railroadman Off Topic 36 12-05-2013 02:06 PM
Septic tank experts come on in... 1Asterisk Off Topic 18 09-19-2013 04:53 PM
one second plumer... Atomic Punk Off Topic 3 08-01-2013 08:16 AM
Experience with septic mound systems? Dale1990 Off Topic 13 08-12-2012 09:19 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Emails & Password Backup

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2