Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 04-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #41
Cozmo
CF Senior Member
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Cozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #42
Vetteman Jack
CF Senior Member
MO Events Coordinator
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Location: Jefferson City, MO Sometimes common sense isn't so common.

There were some really nice big trucks there - some of the custom touches were great.
Vetteman Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #43
HyperX
U.S. Marines 89-93
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via AIM to HyperX Send a message via Yahoo to HyperX

Any big rig priuses there?
HyperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #44
UniqueDoug
CF Senior Member

So how does lowering those trucks affect their ability to haul?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorchRedDriver View Post
I hear ya....road rage is a hard thing to control.
He does have a viable point. Instead of braking and slowing down 2 mph they literally cut you and all the cars behind you off. There is a span of two lane from Atlanta to SC (I85) where this would happen to me every trip at least 5 times in 60 miles.

Maybe you can explain the rationale from a truck driver's perspective better but to me it says "I would rather have 5+ cars brake than me cause I'm working and own the road".
UniqueDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #45
TorchRedDriver
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueDoug View Post
So how does lowering those trucks affect their ability to haul?

He does have a viable point. Instead of braking and slowing down 2 mph they literally cut you and all the cars behind you off. There is a span of two lane from Atlanta to SC (I85) where this would happen to me every trip at least 5 times in 60 miles.

Maybe you can explain the rationale from a truck driver's perspective better but to me it says "I would rather have 5+ cars brake than me cause I'm working and own the road".
Those trucks are only lowered for the show. They just let the air out of the air bag suspension when parked.

Your other question.

To bad it's not a perfect world out on the road and everyone was polite and respectful.

Your mainly talking about trucks that are speed limited by the company. Depends on the company policy as to what speed they are set at. I have heard some as slow as 62. Others 65 or 67. All different.

At some point the driver has to make a move to pass a slower truck. Even if it is only 1 or 2 MPH slower. It makes a difference if your talking 1 or 2 MPH over the course of a whole day driving 5 to 600 miles per day.

If a truck that is limited at 65 comes upon a slower truck and has to slow down, it is hard for them to pick a time to pull into the other lane when most cars are doing 70 plus MPH. Majority of the time people ignore a truck signaling to pull out to pass and try to cut them off. So there comes a time that a driver has to try and get over when there is an opening. I'm sure car drivers feel they are cut off at times. But most people have no idea how to drive anymore. They don't look ahead and pay attention and see what is about to happen.

There is very few trucks on the road that can pull over into the left lane and accelerate to match the speed of the cars so that they don't have to slow down. Trucks can weigh up to 80,000 pounds (oversize and weight permits increase that weight) and I know when I'm close to 80,000 my truck doesn't accelerate worth a crap (and I'm not speed limited). Most people have no idea what that weight even means and how it effects a truck.

As far as I'm aware, there is no law that says truck drivers are supposed to yield to all cars. Everyone shares the road equally.

The other point about staying in the left lane to pass a slower vehicle further ahead. Yep, I'm guilty. That's because every freaking body rides in the left lane now. It's a train in that lane now if it's busy. If I move over to the right lane after passing a slower vehicle and then need to move left again after a short time, then I'm screwed. I could sit there for awhile signaling to get over and nobody will let the truck over.

So I have to decide what to do. How fast am I closing on the slower vehicle up ahead? How many cars behind me? It's a royal PITA.

I have moved back into the right lane after passing a vehicle and the freaking cars behind me don't even speed up. They sit right next to me. OBLIVIOUS! Then I have to slow down and wait for them to eventually pass.

So it works both ways. For me, the biggest problem is people in cars not paying attention TO ANYTHING.

Also the fact that the left lane has now become the new right lane. Everybody, and I mean everybody rides in the left lane now. Doesn't matter that the left lane is supposed to be the passing lane. People merge onto the interstate and immediately shoot over to the left lane and then don't even do the speed limit.

Some states have 55mph speed limits for trucks and 65/70 for cars. Talk about screwed up. The Gov talks about limiting all trucks to 60mph. If they do that you will have a whole lot a problems with trucks in the way then.

Crap.....this was not to be a ranting thread.

Last edited by TorchRedDriver; 04-28-2013 at 11:57 PM.
TorchRedDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:04 AM   #46
TKgs2010
CF Senior Member

Quote:
I-75 Chrome Shop truck show was this weekend in Wildwood Florida.

Another great turn out.

I hope you like big fancy trucks.

Click the image to open in full size.

Lotta work into detailing those big boys, a lot of them are "show only" rigs. I have a couple of mine that we show in "working truck" class and it can easily take most of the day to detail out each truck, and mine are hardly ever dirty. Lots of toothbrush and creeper time on some of those long Petes.
TKgs2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:19 AM   #47
TKgs2010
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Those trucks are only lowered for the show. They just let the air out of the air bag suspension when parked.

Your other question.

To bad it's not a perfect world out on the road and everyone was polite and respectful.

Your mainly talking about trucks that are speed limited by the company. Depends on the company policy as to what speed they are set at. I have heard some as slow as 62. Others 65 or 67. All different.

At some point the driver has to make a move to pass a slower truck. Even if it is only 1 or 2 MPH slower. It makes a difference if your talking 1 or 2 MPH over the course of a whole day driving 5 to 600 miles per day.

If a truck that is limited at 65 comes upon a slower truck and has to slow down, it is hard for them to pick a time to pull into the other lane when most cars are doing 70 plus MPH. Majority of the time people ignore a truck signaling to pull out to pass and try to cut them off. So there comes a time that a driver has to try and get over when there is an opening. I'm sure car drivers feel they are cut off at times. But most people have no idea how to drive anymore. They don't look ahead and pay attention and see what is about to happen.

There is very few trucks on the road that can pull over into the left lane and accelerate to match the speed of the cars so that they don't have to slow down. Trucks can weigh up to 80,000 pounds (oversize and weight permits increase that weight) and I know when I'm close to 80,000 my truck doesn't accelerate worth a crap (and I'm not speed limited). Most people have no idea what that weight even means and how it effects a truck.

As far as I'm aware, there is no law that says truck drivers are supposed to yield to all cars. Everyone shares the road equally.

The other point about staying in the left lane to pass a slower vehicle further ahead. Yep, I'm guilty. That's because every freaking body rides in the left lane now. It's a train in that lane now if it's busy. If I move over to the right lane after passing a slower vehicle and then need to move left again after a short time, then I'm screwed. I could sit there for awhile signaling to get over and nobody will let the truck over.

So I have to decide what to do. How fast am I closing on the slower vehicle up ahead? How many cars behind me? It's a royal PITA.

I have moved back into the right lane after passing a vehicle and the freaking cars behind me don't even speed up. They sit right next to me. OBLIVIOUS! Then I have to slow down and wait for them to eventually pass.

So it works both ways. For me, the biggest problem is people in cars not paying attention TO ANYTHING.

Also the fact that the left lane has now become the new right lane. Everybody, and I mean everybody rides in the left lane now. Doesn't matter that the left lane is supposed to be the passing lane. People merge onto the interstate and immediately shoot over to the left lane and then don't even do the speed limit.

Some states have 55mph speed limits for trucks and 65/70 for cars. Talk about screwed up. The Gov talks about limiting all trucks to 60mph. If they do that you will have a whole lot a problems with trucks in the way then.

Crap.....this was not to be a ranting thread.
I think these companies that limit to 62 (Canadian outfits mostly, 62 mph=100kmh) are plain stupid, they can't even keep up with traffic. Their premise is fuel mileage, but if you spec and gear correctly you can get the mileage AND not be governed. My SMALLEST HP motor is a 550, the others ranging up to a '13 Volvo with a 650 ISX Cummins, all pulling overweight/oversize loads and on Thruway runs I can knock on the door of 7 mpg with the big Cummins, and still pull the hills and accelerate. In my opinion, you need to have some reserve for passing and/or hills regardless of total weight, proper gearing, specs and driving technique will get results.
TKgs2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:39 AM   #48
tomc8at
CF Senior Member

I would like to see them with their lights on at night...
tomc8at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #49
Zeek
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '07 & '11-'12-'13-'14
Official Sponsor of the 60 Day VacatioNN
10,000 poster in the "thread" Part II
Support Corvetteforum!

I will say this, if any of these trucks in the pictures were in front of me, I wouldnt mind tailing behind them.....Some really nice looking rigs!
Zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:06 AM   #50
The JOe
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10-'12

Freaking awesome! I'd love to attend a show like that
The JOe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:17 AM   #51
Hokie
CF Senior Member

very cool. I couldnt imagine the time it took cleaning them.
Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #52
Smoke-N-Shot
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

The truck bling was great...
Old 04-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #53
mikeerbC6
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In 3-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via AIM to mikeerbC6

Ive been to the Louisville show many times and I always love looking at the show/work trucks.i had a driver who would detail his truck all the time
mikeerbC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:00 AM   #54
gs568
CF Senior Member

Very cool. Not something that you see every day.
gs568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #55
Tormania
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Tormania

There's a show in Dallas???? When??? I would LOVE to check out Rigs like that. When I was a kid seeing big rigs (70s Baby!!) was always a hoot. Not only liked watching Smokey and the Bandit back in the day but even watched that old movie "Convoy" back then to see more trucks. Only saw BJ and the Bear a few times though.

Tormania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #56
jmc12
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I am going to stop in the shop tomorror morning...
jmc12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #57
TorchRedDriver
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormania View Post
There's a show in Dallas???? When??? I would LOVE to check out Rigs like that. When I was a kid seeing big rigs (70s Baby!!) was always a hoot. Not only liked watching Smokey and the Bandit back in the day but even watched that old movie "Convoy" back then to see more trucks. Only saw BJ and the Bear a few times though.
The Great American Truck Show.

August 22-24, 2013

http://www.gatsonline.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc12 View Post
I am going to stop in the shop tomorror morning...

I'm taking donations for my show truck. Go ahead and get me some 8" stacks for a 2002 Pete 379. Only about 2500 bucks.

I'll add your name to the display sign board.

TorchRedDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #58
jmc12
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Quote:
The Great American Truck Show.

August 22-24, 2013

http://www.gatsonline.com/

I'm taking donations for my show truck. Go ahead and get me some 8" stacks for a 2002 Pete 379. Only about 2500 bucks.

I'll add your name to the display sign board.

Where would you like me to ship that..
jmc12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:23 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page Big Rig truck show. Wildwood Florida. (BIG RIG pics)