Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 06-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #1
1911fool
CF Senior Member

Default ancestry.com

Has anyone tried it?
What are your thoughts?
Is there anything better?

1911fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
jimkmyc5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

My sister is into it. She has several of our "branches" out six, and seven generations. Most of my family is from Virginia, North Carolina and Tennesee and found two people from the Todd side of our family from the 1650s. Pretty crazy stuff. Revolutionary war vets, a few folks who made the trip over from Europe, and civil war vets (or should I say the "war of Northern aggression".)...my family were Confederates.

I don't know what kind of money she has wrapped up in it. From what I've seen, it gives you hints on where to look but you pay for the hints.
I'll let her keep working at it......

BTW, I am aware that the first paragraph is full of grammatical errors, run on sentences and sentence fragments.....
jimkmyc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
pkazsr
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Just by using Google I found out stuff about my family that wasn't talked about at reunions.
pkazsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:55 AM   #4
Red Racer
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09
a.k.a. Night Train

Lots of valuable, interesting information to be found there.

I found out that my great-great grandfather was born in Georgia in 1825. Also saw the census of 1920 with my mother (now 93) listed as a 6 month-old female infant. That was moving.
Red Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
Ironswims
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11, '13

Better? You could hire a researcher. http://ancestrybinders.com
Ironswims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
su8pack1
CF Senior Member

I've been using it for years. Lots of good info out there.
su8pack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
Gary79
CF Senior Member

familysearch.org. and it's FREE. I ain't paying $155. I don't need my ancestors to tell me I'm cheap. lol a couple years back, I did a free trial of ancestry.com. they couldn't find my paternal grandparents. I knew their names and other info, but ancestry.com couldn't find them. so, no go. it was a test of their system.
with familysearch.org. I found my paternal German ancestors back to the late 1840's. on my mom's side, they were also German. I have her dad's name, his brother's name, her mother's maiden name. they arrived in Nebraska in the 1870s. that's it. the problem is there are no records. family search.org only shows 3 records in their data base for Nebraska. whereas, Illinois has over 1600 records in the data base. family search has German records back to the 1600, and also ship manifests.

I learned a lot about my paternal grandfather, and grandmother. their families were both from SW Germany, and settled along with other families from SW Germany in McHenry county Illinois. They migrated from the Koblenz area in Germany, and were from the area around Trier, one of the oldest cities in Europe. I also learned my father's complete first name, which he didn't like, didn't use, did not ever tell me or my brother. most of my paternal relatives are buried in St Mary's cemeteryin McHenry county Illinois.

try familysearch.org first. see how far you get. remember census takers sometimes got info wrong and some would anglo-size a name. they did what they wanted and what they thought was right. my grandmothers maiden name was anglo-sized in the 1870 & 1880 census, but in the 1890 census is back to it's original German spelling. I also found out that my father had a baby sister that died between 1-2 yrs old about 2-3 yrs before he was born. she appears in the 1910 census but not the 1920 census.

good luck!!!

Last edited by Gary79; 06-25-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Gary79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Mod75
CF Senior Member

Ancestry is addictive, so is the genealogy process.
15 years ago when we started it was hard to find information, now its pretty easy.

LDS churches have lots of info also, as well researchers for hire.
Mod75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
nj02vette
CF Senior Member

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ

I'm on the fence.

On one hand it's kinda cool. On the other, I don't really like my current extended family, so why would I want to do some more research?
nj02vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
Z Factor
CF Senior Member

I wonder how well any of these companies do for tracing your heritage back to your ancestors who immigrated here from other countries(i.e. the first to set foot in America)?
Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #11
BigJoe
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Factor View Post
I wonder how well any of these companies do for tracing your heritage back to your ancestors who immigrated here from other countries(i.e. the first to set foot in America)?
Exactly. I'm only a second generation American. My mother was born in Sweden and came here when she was 7-8 years old (she's 92 now). I can see these ancestry sites working great if you are a 10th generation American, but not so much if most of the records are buried in Europe.
BigJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:55 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page ancestry.com