Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 04-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Tormania
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Tormania
Default Let's talk sandboxes!!

Well the little one is now over 2 years old and I'm thinking of building a sandbox in the backyard for him. Someplace to get after it with the Tonka truck and loader waiting for him. I've seen the pre-fab plastic ones at the toy stores and I'm not a real fan. I want something bigger. So I'm looking at building a 5'x5' sandbox and approx 10-12" deep. I have found some decent plans for building it myself online but was curious what others have done themselves.

Also, the other important piece is the cover for the sandbox, to keep it clean and dry when not in use. But some of the special covers are way too expensive. I really just need a tarp with some snap fasteners, but amazingly I am having trouble finding one outside of going the custom tarp route. So any solutions that CFOT has used would be welcomed.

Thanks!
Tormania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
ParkRat
CF Senior Member

You are going to regret putting in a sandbox.
ParkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Tormania
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Tormania

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkRat View Post
The wife keeps telling me this as well. Outside of the potential mess of sand which I am aware of what else am I missing?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
CrustyOldGuy
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkRat View Post

I put one in with a nice tarp cover and the kids played in it like twice. Well if you call throwing sand and dumping it on each other's heads "playing".

The tarp got put back on only if I was home so it turned into a giant cat box.

I wouldn't bother with one, but hey, I think about 10 people told me the same thing and I still did it.
CrustyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
TurboTnZ06
CF Senior Member

We have this one in the back yard by the pool and our outdoor shower for washdowns after playing in the sand. Works well. Box has cover.

Click the image to open in full size.
TurboTnZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
St. Jude Donor '09
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: 1.Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me... 2.That which does not kill me will probably hurt like hell. 3. Islam is the enemy.
Send a message via AIM to Jughead

Quote:
Zoonotic Diseases From Sandboxes

The following are the more important diseases that people can potentially contract from exposure to sand and sandboxes. Please refer to individual disease information sheets for additional details.

Cutaneous larval migrans:

This condition can be caused by various species of hookworms, some of which infect cats and dogs. Eggs of the parasites are passed in the feces of infected animals, and release larvae which can penetrate a personís skin. The larvae then travel under the skin causing irritation and inflammation.

A playground sandbox contaminated with cat feces was implicated as the cause of an outbreak of cutaneous larval migrans at a day sports camp in the southern United States.

This condition is very rare in northern regions such as Canada.

Visceral and ocular larval migrans:

These conditions can be caused by various species of roundworms, some of which infect animals such as cats, dogs and raccoons. Eggs of the parasites are passed in the feces of infected animals. If the eggs are accidentally ingested, they hatch inside the body, releasing larvae that then migrate through various internal organs (visceral) and occasionally the eye or brain (ocular or neurological larval migrans), causing irritation and inflammation. The ocular form can result in blindness.

Infection is most likely to occur in young animals and children. Also, frequent playing in a sandbox was associated with the presence of antibodies (indicating exposure) against one of the parasites that can cause this condition (Toxocara) in a study of children in Brazil.

These conditions are very rare in northern regions such as Canada, but if the disease does occur, it can be quite devastating.

Toxoplasmosis:

An infection caused by the protozoal parasite Toxoplasma gondii. Cats shed oocysts (which are similar to parasite eggs) in their stool that can become infective after about 24 hours. Most infections do not cause illness, or may cause mild flu-like symptoms. Serious infections can occur in people who are immunocompromised (e.g. HIV/AIDS, transplant or cancer patients), but are rare in people who are otherwise healthy. In pregnant women Toxoplasma can seriously affect the unborn baby.

Bacterial infections that cause diarrhea:

Several species of bacteria that can cause diarrhea in people can be passed in the stool of animals. These include Salmonella, E. coli and Campylobacter. They are all transmitted by ingestion, or contamination of the hands or food that is then transferred to the mouth. The role of sandboxes in the transmission of these bacteria is unclear, but the potential certainly exists.

Reasons I dodged that bullet.
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Gary79
CF Senior Member

nobody puts the lid back on except you and you are at work most of the time. and the first time cat schnit is found that will be the end of that, everyone will freak out. when I was little I just dug in the dirt on the side of the house between house and sidewalk, and also in the city park across the street. played for hours with our 10 cent tootsietoy cars, jeeps. this was back in the 50's. I don't think they make kids out of the same stuff anymore.
Gary79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
Tormania
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Tormania

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTnZ06 View Post
We have this one in the back yard by the pool and our outdoor shower for washdowns after playing in the sand. Works well. Box has cover.

Click the image to open in full size.
Too funny. Grandpa saw that very one at Costco and offered to get it, but I had already been kicking around the idea of building one first.

But some of the posts here have me having 2nd and 3rd thoughts about it. Hmmm......
Old 04-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
1Patriot
CF Senior Member

All children should experience a sand box during their childhood. Did all your parents die of some strange diseases?? Were they maimed for life from having sand poured on their heads? Did they die from sand getting in their mouth occasionally?

What a bunch of wimps our population is becomming.

You can make a cover with 2x2 strips and a piece of blue tarp. Staple the tarp to the frame and keep a couple of bricks handy to hold down the cover when the wind clows. If you want the water to run off of the cover, add a basket ball underneath.

Now, let the kids have a great time and break out the camera.
1Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
jasper711
CF Senior Member

Back when I was a kid, no family was without a sandbox and we spent many hours constructing road projects and volcanoes in those things. I even talked my friend into trying his Lionel train once, that didn't go so good.

(strangely, none of us hankered to build solar projects or shut down each other's projects with environmental permitting requirements )

When our kids were little, my dad built a 4 x 8 sandbox complete with hinged lid to keep cats out. In today's overstimulated environment, I'm not sure the kids went out there more than once.
jasper711 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:09 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page Let's talk sandboxes!!