Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 04-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #21
VetteSlave
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

When I was a kid in college Citizen Kane was noted as the #1 movie to date (72-73 era) and was a mandatory watch and written essay report for the films course I took.
I just looked, and after all these years it is still #1 according to the American Film Institute--> http://www.afi.com/100Years/movies10.aspx
VetteSlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #22
3D87C4
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69427 View Post
Pardon me if I'm not clear on your post point, but Rosebud had additional "meaning" in relation to the movie.
Something I didn't know till I watched

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RKO_281

Other than that, the notion of folks who had never seen Citizen Kane makes me feel very old.
3D87C4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #23
PostShawn
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigalante View Post
Casablanca is better, IMHO.

I'm not a fan of that movie (Citizen Kane). Saw it in film school a couple times and I just don't think it's all that. There were some nice shots and good cinematography. But over all story I think is a bit plain once you find out the key meaning of it. Maybe back then it had more achievements other then a couple technical things. There was one shot where the director wanted the camera lower so they dug a hole in the studio floor and put the camera in there. Things like that were crazy back then to do. But in today's standards I don't see it being the best movie of all time as many lists say.

With that said you should watch it. It is part of film history and if you want to open your horizon to other movies then go for it. I'm glad I've seen it. I don't have to think it's the best movie ever though. The Maltese Falcon came out the same year and I think it's a better movie personally. Check that one out too.

Last edited by PostShawn; 04-20-2012 at 01:16 PM.
PostShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #24
krackenvette
CF Senior Member

Well, it was good. But, maybe as there werent many films back then it could be considered great. Orson did think outside the box, but stage acting probably was an influence to create different sets,with sealing etc.
I think there is more to see when I see it again.
I thought Rosebud was the early life he had being striped away from his Mom/Dad and never being able to grow up. But, if it is the sled, I can see that too.
But, 12 oclock high is an awesome movie, as mentioned earlier.
I feel if the movie institute believes its the best, well, that is their business and they can vote however they want. I feel it set standards and let directors/writers etc have more liberty in how they shot films.
krackenvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #25
Gary '09 C6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markm10431 View Post
...for the quintessential cold war drama, it's hard to beat the Bedford Incident

...or the original Failsafe (with Henry Fonda).
Gary '09 C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #26
lakota
CF Senior Member

From movie, quote from Mr. Bernstein, it's 1941 in the movie;

Bernstein: A fellow will remember a lot of things you wouldn't think he'd remember. You take me. One day, back in 1896, I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry, and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in, and on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl
lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #27
1Patriot
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakota View Post
From movie, quote from Mr. Bernstein, it's 1941 in the movie;

Bernstein: A fellow will remember a lot of things you wouldn't think he'd remember. You take me. One day, back in 1896, I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry, and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in, and on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl
There is so much truth to this statement. Sometime times when you are waiting to sleep at night, we become amused at the tibits of memory that are fleeting recollected from our lives.
1Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #28
dpd3672
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDriver View Post
You need to watch the documentary "The Battle Over Citizen Kane" - the historical context for this film is almost as good as the film itself.

Citizen Kane is consistently voted the best film of all time. Orson Welles was a genius, and Citizen Kane was a technical tour de force, doing many things that had never been done in films before (and which many thought were impossible). Sets with ceilings on them,
"impossible" depth of field, Welles' use of sound, and much more that was new and innovative for the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D87C4 View Post
Something I didn't know till I watched

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RKO_281

Other than that, the notion of folks who had never seen Citizen Kane makes me feel very old.
I saw this movie before I saw Citizen Kane. I thought it was fantastic. It made me appreciate CK more, although I've always been a fan of older movies.
dpd3672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #29
Kenny94945
CF Senior Member

Op...It is worth watching for the hours it takes.

As above, sound quality, camera angle are worth noting as is historical context.
Kenny94945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #30
su8pack1
CF Senior Member

Good old movie.
su8pack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #31
wugak
CF Senior Member

I tried to go down the AFI top 100 list once.... some gems on there that you MUST see but then you get to things like Lawrence of Arabia that make you want to claw your eyes out. I don't need every movie I watch to be from Ridley Scott or heaven forbid Michael Bay... but some of the old ones are impossible to watch.
wugak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #32
1998prince
CF Senior Member

I watched Citizen Kane and Casablanca once. Didn't get either of them.
1998prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #33
utah997
Circles are Hard
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
Support Corvetteforum!

One of my all time favorite movies. Love it!
utah997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #34
gpotski
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah997 View Post
One of my all time favorite movies. Love it!
gpotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #35
grady
CF Senior Member

Mitchell Kennedy

Back from the era of great acting. Definately in my top ten list. Catch The Third Man (another Orson Wells and Joseph Cotton masterpiece) on TCM this Saturday night if you are into old school film.

Yes 12 Angry Men and Failsafe are great and are because of Henry Fonda. His best actor performance in Grape of Wrath is wonderful.
grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #36
su8pack1
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady View Post
Back from the era of great acting. Definately in my top ten list. Catch The Third Man (another Orson Wells and Joseph Cotton masterpiece) on TCM this Saturday night if you are into old school film.

Yes 12 Angry Men and Failsafe are great and are because of Henry Fonda. His best actor performance in Grape of Wrath is wonderful.
Henry Fonda was nominated that year (1940), but Jimmy Stewart won for The Philadelphia Story.
su8pack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:34 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page Citizen Kane, has anyone sen this movie?