Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 12-24-2011, 03:51 AM   #1
Turbo6TA
CF Senior Member

Default Why so many Indian doctors in the US?

First, I would like to say that I don't have any problems concerning people from India.

With that said ... I am just confused as to why all the Indian doctors here in the US now.

I just moved to Florida after living with my wife in the Philippines for the last 5 years. One of the first things I needed to do was to select a primary care doctor for my wife and myself. Since I have TriCare medical insurance (retired military), I just let TriCare select a doctor for both of us. She wanted a female doctor, and I wanted a male doctor.

Anyway, we both got doctors from India. Looking at the list of doctors that I could have picked from (had I not had TriCare do the selection), it seemed like 75% of all the doctors on the list had Indian sounding names.

My questions ...

1. What is it with all these Indian doctors here in the US? Don't we have medical schools in this country that graduate American born doctors anymore?

2. Do you suppose these Indian doctors are going to medical school in India and [then] getting jobs in the US .. or are they coming to the US and then going to medical school here after they arrive?

3. Do most young bright American kids that are of college age just not interested in going to medical school anymore, so they are "importing' Indians now to fill the quotas the medical schools need to reach in order to stay in buisness?

4. Are all these Indian doctors practicing medicine here in the US working on "green cards", or are they getting US citizenship after they graduate from US medical schools (if in fact they are even graduates of American medical schools)?

Anyone here in the medical flield have any idea as to what is happening here with all these non-American born doctors in the US now?

Thank's
Turbo6TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:05 AM   #2
jmc12
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Because where they come from they could not make any money...
jmc12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:18 AM   #3
Turbo6TA
CF Senior Member

I am sure that a doctor here in the US makes more money than a doctor in India .. but that would be true for just about all professions.

An airline pilot in India don't make as much money as an airline pilot in the US ... but you don't see a bunch of Indians flying for American air carriers (just because they pay more for pilots in the US)

Just seems like all this has to do with doctors and really no other professions.

In fact, even the majority of dentists are American born (at least what I have seen).
Old 12-24-2011, 04:36 AM   #4
jmc12
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Dumbng down of America?

http://deliberatedumbingdown.com/
jmc12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:39 AM   #5
Turbo6TA
CF Senior Member

What the hell I am doing up at 4:30 in the morning!
Old 12-24-2011, 04:46 AM   #6
Afy
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In II Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Afy

Actually doctors from India are typically already fuly qualified when they move to the US. They redo their medical school in the US to able to practise in the US. Yes a number of them do work on Green Cards and then get citizenship like everyone else.

As far as making money goes, I dont think there is much of a difference between what one makes in the US or India. Infact your lifestyle is probably better in India with chauffers, servants, maids et al.
A number of us Indians, do like the US and what it has to offer, often more than someof your own citizens. That is just how life pans out sometimes.
Afy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:51 AM   #7
Turbo6TA
CF Senior Member

Great answers ... thank's

Is there an actual shortage of American born doctors in the US?

Or a shortage of American born young people not wanting to go to med school anymore?

I still don't understand the disproportion of foreign doctors here ... wasn't like that years ago
Old 12-24-2011, 05:40 AM   #8
DDSLT5
CF Senior Member

There were quite a few "Indian" physicians in my residency - all were born in the USA, making them AMERICAN! Guess what else? All were hard working and damn smart. I've also encountered some who came over from India - also hard working and damn smart. Indian parents push their children to excel and be a benefit to society. "American" parents mostly don't give a damn, and are too busy being their kids' best friend.

My advice? Judge based on skill and personality, not skin color.
DDSLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:08 AM   #9
teenVette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I've worked with Indians in the IT career field, and they all were very smart and really qualified. A lot of them dream to come back to the US. The money they can make in the US goes a long way back in India.
teenVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:14 AM   #10
Turbo6TA
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDSLT5 View Post

My advice? Judge based on skill and personality, not skin color.
No problem at all ... In fact, both myself and my wife both are very happy with our primary care doctors which are both of Indian ancestry.

I just didn't understand why there are so many Indian doctors now in the US. I just thought that maybe there was shortage of doctors now in the US, so that was the reason for so many foreign doctors here now .. at least I was under the inpression that the majority of these doctors were in fact "foreign" born.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:14 AM   #11
Platoface
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11

Because Indian food sucks, or as Indians say it, our food sucks.

So they come here and eat our sacred cows.
Platoface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:24 AM   #12
pgp
CF Senior Member

I think many Americans specialize instead of going into family practice. That would be my guess along with the other answers.

This too from DDSLTS
Indian parents push their children to excel and be a benefit to society. "American" parents mostly don't give a damn, and are too busy being their kids' best friend.
pgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #13
GS Ragtop
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgp View Post
I think many Americans specialize instead of going into family practice. That would be my guess along with the other answers.
That was going to be my guess as well.
GS Ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:20 AM   #14
Platoface
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11

I wouldnt wish anyone to go into family practice.

I see what it does to our providers.

Most turn from wide eyed ideologicals to real world cynicals in 2-3 years coming out of residency.
Platoface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #15
sla07
CF Senior Member

Not sure the reasons but I will say this...most doctors from the "outside" probably have way more exposure to oddities/diseases/cases then any American born doctor would see...that being said, they probably have a tendency to look at their patient at a higher level and possibly diagnose better based on their outside experience...it not to say that the American doctors wont cut it...it just seems to me that outside of the US, especially in thir world country's, the doctors would have seen and done way worst, upping their knowledge and experience...

This is just an opinion btw as I have no real baking on it lol
sla07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #16
sla07
CF Senior Member

Not sure the reasons but I will say this...most doctors from the "outside" probably have way more exposure to oddities/diseases/cases then any American born doctor would see...that being said, they probably have a tendency to look at their patient at a higher level and possibly diagnose better based on their outside experience...it not to say that the American doctors wont cut it...it just seems to me that outside of the US, especially in thir world country's, the doctors would have seen and done way worst, upping their knowledge and experience...

This is just an opinion btw as I have no real backing on it lol
sla07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #17
PeterK
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo6TA View Post
Great answers ... thank's

Is there an actual shortage of American born doctors in the US?
o
There is a huge shortage of doctors in US. That's why the immigration services are offering a sweet deal to foreign physicians who are qualified to practice in US. If they agree to work for five years in the area where there is a shortage of physicians, typically mid-west and southern states, they will get an immigration visa
PeterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:20 AM   #18
AU N EGL
CF Senior Member

as long as they are very good at what they do and have very good bedside manners( we all should have this ), to me that is all that matters.
AU N EGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #19
KarlK
CF Senior Member

ever lived in India?
KarlK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #20
jcsperson
CF Senior Member
NC Events Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDSLT5 View Post
There were quite a few "Indian" physicians in my residency - all were born in the USA, making them AMERICAN! Guess what else? All were hard working and damn smart.

Indians who have immigrated to the U.S. tend to be educated, professional people. They would almost have to be to have the financial means to get here. As parents they encourage their kids to excel in school. I teach middle school in a college town and we have an ethnically diverse student body. The only group that outperforms the Chinese or Korean kids are Indians. You could give me a whole classroom full of them.
jcsperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:45 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page Why so many Indian doctors in the US?

Tags
american, doctors, forums, india, indian, indiandoctors, indians, list, lot, lots, physicians, states, united, us, usa