Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 08-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
ter
CF Senior Member

Default Ford ecoboost vs 5.3 chevy

Cliffs: So does anyone have experience with ecoboost, and is better than the chevy?

I bought a 2005 5.3L sierra 1500 4 door and I now have 80K miles. It has been marginal in owner satisfaction. I get 16 - 18 mpg and it is pretty comfortable. I generally drive it in the winter and the C5 in the summer. So I am thinking of selling both and just driving a pickup. I wanted to get decent MPG, so I was considering the ecoboost. I stopped by the Chevy place today because I have $2K in credit card bonus cash. The Chevy 5.3 looked liked it got 1 mpg less than the ecoboost. For 1 MPG verses a 2K rebate, it looks like the Chevy is viable.
ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
smearig
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ter View Post
Cliffs: So does anyone have experience with ecoboost, and is better than the chevy?

I bought a 2005 5.3L sierra 1500 4 door and I now have 80K miles. It has been marginal in owner satisfaction. I get 16 - 18 mpg and it is pretty comfortable. I generally drive it in the winter and the C5 in the summer. So I am thinking of selling both and just driving a pickup. I wanted to get decent MPG, so I was considering the ecoboost. I stopped by the Chevy place today because I have $2K in credit card bonus cash. The Chevy 5.3 looked liked it got 1 mpg less than the ecoboost. For 1 MPG verses a 2K rebate, it looks like the Chevy is viable.
Does the 5.3 Chevy have 365 hp and 410 ft lbs of torque? The Chevy 5.3 isn't comparable to any of Ford's top 3 engines.
smearig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
Vette_Minded
CF Senior Member

Depends on what you want to do with it. If your going to use as a DD and for towing here and there then 5.3 is more then adiquite. If your worried about being able to out run the pickup next to you then it's probably not.
Vette_Minded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
redvette77
CF Senior Member

silverado2009 Michael_Ellis_ redvette77
Send a message via MSN to redvette77 Send a message via Skype™ to redvette77

The 5.3 engine of today is the same as in your 2005 Sierra, however, the transmission has been entirely replaced. Instead of the ancient four speed, there is a six speed in there, which improves fuel economy. Any Silverado/Sierra model year 2009 and later, with the 5.3 engine, will get 21mpg on the higway according to the window sticker. However, they actually do better than what the window sticker suggests in both and city and on the highway.

So, the 5.3 is just as economical as the Ecoboost Ford. If fuel economy is what you are worried about, then go for the Chevy. The Ford engine has more power and torque, so will more than likely tow a bit better, but I have no experience with it so cannot say for sure. And honestly, I am one of those people who could just never own a V6 truck.

So, take your pick I guess
redvette77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
ZippoMan
CF Senior Member

I've been hearing good things about the ecoboost F150.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
The JOe
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10-'12

the 5.3 is a fine engine, it just depends on what you plan on doing with it.

If you keep vehicles for a long time, i would go chevy... i just don't trust the heavy working turbos on the Eco's, as well as all the plastic piping/hoses surrounding that heat when time goes by.

i could be totally wrong but i have a hard time buying super complicated stuff especially when the warranty runs out.

If you don't keep the car out of warranty, i would probably go with the new ecoboost engine, they sure do sound good... but that worries me about it being too good to be true in time.

JOe

Last edited by The JOe; 08-10-2011 at 04:03 PM.
The JOe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
HyperX
U.S. Marines 89-93
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via AIM to HyperX Send a message via Yahoo to HyperX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ter View Post

Ooh ohh me me

I have a 5.3 Silverado 2010 edition, and just a few weeks ago I bought my wife a 2011 Lincoln MKS with the Ecoboost. The ecoboost is FAST and responsive, but in a heavy truck? I dunno. I think the v8 ecoboost is around the corner and that will surely rock. Personally, after driving the MKS, I would not buy it in a truck unless it's a v8 ecoboost.
HyperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
smearig
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippoMan View Post
I've been hearing good things about the ecoboost F150.
I need to go drive one. It's pretty low hassle when my friend is selling them and he has nothing but good things to say about the power. He does get people complaining about the mileage, though. Not really sure what people are thinking is going to happen with that much weight and power.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
ZippoMan
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smearig View Post
I need to go drive one. It's pretty low hassle when my friend is selling them and he has nothing but good things to say about the power.
Drive a new Focus while you're at it and let me know if it's any good
Old 08-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
smearig
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Drive a new Focus while you're at it and let me know if it's any good
I actually want to do that as well. My friend claims it handles better than the '12 5.0 and would be awesome if it wasn't completely underpowered.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
Michrider
CF Senior Member

Consumers Reports tested the Ford with an Ecoboost and 5.0. Both averaged 15 mpgs overall.

I'd be pissed if I spent extra for some super high tech engine promoted as so efficient, just to get roughly the same mpg as any other truck out there. They liked the exhaust rumble of the 5.0 though. The whine of the Ecoboost - not so impressive of a truck sound.

I'd bet many will be quite pissed about the real world mpgs they get with it. Big power in a full size truck takes fuel, no matter how you do it.
Michrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #12
ZippoMan
CF Senior Member

Quote:
My friend claims it handles better than the '12 5.0
That's pretty impressive. I need to see if my dealer has one with the handling package yet so I can take it for a spin.

Quote:
and would be awesome if it wasn't completely underpowered.
Exactly. The specs look good - 2.0L, 160hp, 6-speed DCT. They may have neutered it to get the 38-40MPG rating.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
max'svette
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvette77 View Post
Any Silverado/Sierra model year 2009 and later, with the 5.3 engine, will get 21mpg on the higway according to the window sticker. However, they actually do better than what the window sticker suggests in both and city and on the highway.
Please don't post BS.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet/...do%201500/2011
max'svette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #14
smearig
CF Senior Member

Quote:
That's pretty impressive. I need to see if my dealer has one with the handling package yet so I can take it for a spin.

Exactly. The specs look good - 2.0L, 160hp, 6-speed DCT. They may have neutered it to get the 38-40MPG rating.
The course he talks performance minded test drivers on has some off camber stuff and broken pavement that reminds you the Mustang is rocking a live axle. I commented on that when I drove a '12 5.0 and he said the Focus soaks it up no problem.

Of course the Focus won't be chirping tires shifting into 3rd, so I have no interest in it. My Insight is cheaper comparably equipped and gets a legitimate 42 mixed instead of a theoretically possible 38 highway.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
HyperX
U.S. Marines 89-93
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via AIM to HyperX Send a message via Yahoo to HyperX

Quote:
Originally Posted by max'svette View Post
Before my big lift and fat tires, I would get 23-24 on the hwy - because 4 cylinders would turn off, and Illinois is pretty flat. After the lift, I am getting 17-19 on the highway... Keep in mind, this is going 55 mph on HWY 14 from my house Cary, Il to Janesville, Wi. Flat, and 55. Going 65 or 75, and you were at like 17 MPG
HyperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #16
zsr22
CF Senior Member
BCS Bet for St. Jude '09-'10-'11

I have the Ecoboost in my F150 and I am very, very happy with it. I've been able to compare it to both a 2011 5.0 and a 2010 5.4 F150 and the difference is night and day. On the way to the property a few weeks ago I averaged right at 22 mpg. This was about an hour on the highway doing 70 mph and 40 minutes of back roads doing 60 mph. It would have been a little better had it not have been for 3 stretches of 35 mph through some small towns.
zsr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #17
CropDuster
CF Senior Member

cropdusterc6

The ecoboost is clearly a better engine spec wise, at least initially. It depends on how well it holds up over time.

Ecoboost
365HP @ 5000 RPM
420Lbs @ 2500 RPM

5.3 Chevy
315HP @ 5200 RPM
338Lbs @ 3800RPM
CropDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #18
lionsfan5454
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michrider View Post
Consumers Reports tested the Ford with an Ecoboost and 5.0. Both averaged 15 mpgs overall.

I'd be pissed if I spent extra for some super high tech engine promoted as so efficient, just to get roughly the same mpg as any other truck out there. They liked the exhaust rumble of the 5.0 though. The whine of the Ecoboost - not so impressive of a truck sound.

I'd bet many will be quite pissed about the real world mpgs they get with it. Big power in a full size truck takes fuel, no matter how you do it.
you <-------------------------> the point

They probably were stupid to call it the "Ecoboost". But, look at the power. It crushes the 5.3 V8 in torque and gets the same MPG.
lionsfan5454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #19
Truck Guy
CF Senior Member
Lord of the Tree
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

LMG VORTEC 5.3L V8 ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS
  • Horsepower 315@5200 rpm
  • Torque (lb.-ft.) 338@4400 rpm
vs.

EcoBoost 3.5L 4V DOHC V6
  • 365 @ 5000 horsepower
  • 420 @ 2500 lb.-ft. of torque

I'll take 420 lbs of torque at 2500 RPM
Truck Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #20
The Cripp
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CropDuster View Post
The ecoboost is clearly a better engine spec wise, at least initially. It depends on how well it holds up over time.

Ecoboost
365HP @ 5000 RPM
420Lbs @ 2500 RPM

5.3 Chevy***315HP @ 5200 RPM
338Lbs @ 3800RPM
Well... I know where I'd be going.

*** A 5.3 Chevy is no good, unless you're going to replace it with a 6.2.
The Cripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:54 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page Ford ecoboost vs 5.3 chevy

Tags
1500, 2006, 48, 50, 53, 53chevy, 54, chevy, ecoboost, fast, ford, forum, jumps, mph, nitrous, race, sale