Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 05-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
Tormania
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Tormania
Default Infiniti G37 owners....tire wear question.....

Figured I'd get more traffic here than in Other Cars......I have a 2010 G37S Sedan and just rolled over 13K miles. While changing the oil this weekend I was checking the tires and I noticed that all 4 are wearing pretty much the same, the outsides have worn down about twice as fast at the insides on all 4 tires. Those that have the Ss know that you can't rotate the tires do do the tire design and size differences with the fronts/rears, similar to our Vettes.

Has anyone with a G37 noticed similar tire wear on their OEM tires?? No feathering or such, just a more worn tires on the outside on all 4 corners. If I could I'd remount the tires on the other wheels for the other side but just can't do that either, the outside MUST stay on the outside.
Tormania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
65 Hardnoks
CF Senior Member

Are they Firestone tires?
65 Hardnoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
NavyC5
CF Senior Member
CI 3-4-5-6-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'06-'08-'09-'10

I've got two friends that have G37s....neither has complained about unusual tire wear.
NavyC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
Andrew37
CF Senior Member

currently have an 04' coupe and did have an 08' sedan... the 08' never had any problems and my 04' has ridiculous camber (on purpose) so obviously it wears on the inside but it's supposed to...

obvious answer is to get the alignment checked as well as the camber/toe... dealer should do this free if everything is stock and you've got warranty.
Andrew37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
Boomer111
CF Senior Member

Common problem with the G series cars.

Factory set up towards handling.

The front end does not allow for camber adjustments needed for proper wear.
Boomer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
65 Hardnoks
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer111 View Post
Common problem with the G series cars.

Factory set up towards handling.

The front end does not allow for camber adjustments needed for proper wear.
Well, that's a heck of a way to put a major car line into production.

Where's the OP? Probably out enjoying his Infiniti.
65 Hardnoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
AU N EGL
CF Senior Member

out side tire has more wear then the inside? that is POSITIVE camber and that is bass ackwards for handling
AU N EGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
GZire
CF Senior Member

You can't rotate by dismounted and moving side-side?

Anyhow, go over to G35Driver and ask there.
GZire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
Tormania
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Tormania

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL View Post
out side tire has more wear then the inside? that is POSITIVE camber and that is bass ackwards for handling
That's my thoughts. I put Z06 alignment specs on my 2000 C5 and my rears wear more on the insides by design, but the fact that all 4 of the G37s tires are wearing more on the OUTSIDE is just plain baffling. I do drive kinda zippy, even in the G37, but nowhere near hard enough to warrant such accelerated tire wear on the outside of the tires. And it's so uniform across all 4 tires it makes me think the car is dialed for that sort of wear. Guess I'll need to join up at the G35/37 forum and ask the peeps there. Thanks guys!
Old 05-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
Blue Lion
CF Senior Member

I had an 07 G35 coupe and didn't even get 19k out of the factory Bridgestones. Like you I couldn't rotate them. I had the sport suspension and I think they are sticky, soft tires for handling. But I had hoped for many more miles than that before they wore out.
Blue Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:00 PM   #11
Tim2K4Vert
CF Senior Member

I had an '05 G35 Coupe with the Sport package. I got about 22k miles on my stock tires.
Tim2K4Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:07 PM   #12
vettfixr
CF Senior Member

The G35 Coupe is based on the 350 Z. Nissan had a lot of problems with tire related wear on the 03 and 04 models, to the point where there was a class action suit against them. The tires would scuff and the noise after a while was unbearable, not to mention the loss of tread. Their response was to alter the wheel alignment and give customers a new set of tires. From my time on the Z forums it appears that the suspension geometry on those models was the real cause but it would have cost a fortune for Nissan to replace the front suspension on all their Z models. Subsequent years were better but I've never heard of anyone getting a lot of mileage out of their front tires. On the plus side my Z was the best handling car I've ever owned and was the easiest to drive. The handling was telepathic!

If I were you I'd get in touch with Infinity to see if there are any service bulletins or at least get their recommendation on alignment specs.
vettfixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:45 PM   #13
Boomer111
CF Senior Member

My sons 05 had the problem. His wore on the inside, and the best camber he could get was around -0.8. Tires seem to be doing better now.

He went to a stiffer spring to raise the front end up a tad to get the front camber to -0.8, it was well above -1.0 before.

I misread the the OP's problem, thinking it was same as my sons G35.
Boomer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #14
wcsinx
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew37 View Post
currently have an 04' coupe and did have an 08' sedan... the 08' never had any problems and my 04' has ridiculous camber (on purpose) so obviously it wears on the inside but it's supposed to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormania View Post
That's my thoughts. I put Z06 alignment specs on my 2000 C5 and my rears wear more on the insides by design
Nooooo

No car and/or suspension setup is supposed to wear tires unevenly. The kind wear you're talking about is more about a mismatching of suspension setups to driving style.

Driving aggressively on a conservative setup will typically give you outside wear likely indicating a need for more negative camber among other things. And vice versa driving conservatively on an aggressive setup will often yield inside wear.

Again, this is not how things are ever "supposed to" be. It is just how things will be if you don't setup your suspension to match your driving conditions and habits.
wcsinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #15
GZire
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettfixr View Post
The G35 Coupe is based on the 350 Z. Nissan had a lot of problems with tire related wear on the 03 and 04 models, to the point where there was a class action suit against them. The tires would scuff and the noise after a while was unbearable, not to mention the loss of tread. Their response was to alter the wheel alignment and give customers a new set of tires. From my time on the Z forums it appears that the suspension geometry on those models was the real cause but it would have cost a fortune for Nissan to replace the front suspension on all their Z models. Subsequent years were better but I've never heard of anyone getting a lot of mileage out of their front tires. On the plus side my Z was the best handling car I've ever owned and was the easiest to drive. The handling was telepathic!

If I were you I'd get in touch with Infinity to see if there are any service bulletins or at least get their recommendation on alignment specs.
Yup not a lot you could do with the stock suspension to adjust, that was one issue. It was more prevalent on the Z's than on the G's.

I also think another issue is the cars tended to bring in a lot of people who were not used to higher performance cars, so there were tons of complaints about noisy brakes, brake dust, etc.
GZire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #16
Tormania
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Tormania

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcsinx View Post
Nooooo

No car and/or suspension setup is supposed to wear tires unevenly. The kind wear you're talking about is more about a mismatching of suspension setups to driving style.

Driving aggressively on a conservative setup will typically give you outside wear likely indicating a need for more negative camber among other things. And vice versa driving conservatively on an aggressive setup will often yield inside wear.

Again, this is not how things are ever "supposed to" be. It is just how things will be if you don't setup your suspension to match your driving conditions and habits.
I know what you are saying BUT if I have more negative camber dialed in on my C5 and it's lowered a bit it does wear the inside rears more. I obviously can't drive it like I'm on a track when I'm on the street. Not excessive wear on the inside but when I'm to the wear indicators on the outside, the insides are smooth.

Perhaps the stock settings on my G37S is such that it wears the outsides more cause of more aggressive driving but it's not like the car is getting track-type cornering when I'm driving it, just seems excessive based on my driving style and that the car is only a year old.

Bummer that it appears that you can't adjust the stock suspension very much to help dial in some more negative camber and balance that out. Maybe the sport suspension allows more adjustment then the stock suspension. Really need to ask the G35/37 peeps in their forum...eventually.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #17
Motor City Vette
CF Senior Member

I've got a 2010 G37 coupe with 13k...no problems
Motor City Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #18
plaster
CF Senior Member

08 G37 coupe, tires replaced at about 30k. Now have about 8k on PZero's and still look good.
Earlier G35's had problems, but I never heard of 7's having any problems.
plaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #19
vettfixr
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZire View Post
Yup not a lot you could do with the stock suspension to adjust, that was one issue. It was more prevalent on the Z's than on the G's.

I also think another issue is the cars tended to bring in a lot of people who were not used to higher performance cars, so there were tons of complaints about noisy brakes, brake dust, etc.
I forgot about the brake dust. My Z was the absolute worst car on the planet for brake dust. It was so bad I actually changed pads at about 10K miles. I couldn't put up with it any longer. The pads I put on made no dust and stopped just as well as the stock ones. Other than the brake dust issue and tire wear it was a great car.
vettfixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:43 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page Infiniti G37 owners....tire wear question.....

Tags
accelerated, alignment, coupe, end, front, g37, g37s, g37x, infiniti, life, owners, rotate, specifications, tire, tires, wear