Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #41
vetteshop
Supporting Vendor
St. Jude Donor '13
 
vetteshop's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2001
Default

"I can race to win on sunday,feed the chickens on monday"
vetteshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #42
Black94LT1
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In 10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12
 
Black94LT1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2000
Location: Ypsilanti MI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Love him or hate him the man is a American/NASCAR icon.

Tonight on Speed @ 10PM is the show "The Day". Its about #3 and that fateful day.
Love him or hate him, the portion of that program right around the 30 minute mark where they show the accident and the post accident actions, interviews, etc. really shows how shook up everyone was. Ken Schrader and brodcast team could bearely hold it together for the TV cameras and look on Mikey's face when Schrader came up to him in Victory Lane told it all.
Black94LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #43
J S Machine
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13
St. Jude Knife Maker

 
J S Machine's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2008
Location: Maker of Sharp Objects, AL - Roll Tide
Default

Regardless of what anybody's opinion of him is, The guy could falt out drive the wheels off of a car. Bottom line.
J S Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #44
Dan Dlabay
CF Senior Member

 
Dan Dlabay's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: Kettering Ohio
Default

I was at the2001 Daytona 500 and saw the crash. I admit when I heard Dale had died I shed a tear. I got to see him win the 98 Daytona 500 and see him win his last race at Talladega in 2000. I still miss him. He was the best driver who did what it took to win.
Dan Dlabay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #45
hendrix68
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13-'14
 
hendrix68's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2002
Default

His success from 1986 through 1995 is one of the great periods of dominance in NASCAR history. During those ten seasons, Earnhardt won six Winston Cup titles, finished second twice and third once. His only disappointing season in that period came in 1992, when he finished twelfth. But in the modern points system, he still would have made the chase. Remarkable stuff.
hendrix68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #46
BADRACR1
CF Senior Member
 
BADRACR1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2008
Location: East Ridge TN
Default

I honestly didn't care much for him until about '96 or so, when Jr started coming up. Seeing how he was around him and how proud he was when his son did well showed a whole new side of him. If you read much about him the man was actually very generous. It was the track image he wanted, and the Intimidator personna served the purpose well.
I don't think he raced dirty. He was very competitive, yes. So were a lot of other drivers. I followed NASCAR from about '92 on and never missed a race until '06 or so. If you watch a lot of the old races you'll see it wasn't just E hat drove that way. He was just very successful at it. Like him or hate him, the man could do things in a car no one still can't touch. And at the time he died he was still in top form. I like Smoke because he has a lot of the same style, and while I don't care much for Shrub's personality that young man has a lot of the same style in his driving too.
I still miss the 3 every week on the track. It's like the 43. For old time fans when you see the 43 you still think of the King. I wish RCR would put the 3 back on the track. I don't really think E would have wanted it removed, but I do understand Harvick's hesitation in the beginning to try to drive that car.
If you get bored sometime look up the story of the '98 Daytona race and the lucky penny. It will give some insight into his real character.
BADRACR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #47
Wadoka
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran
 
Wadoka's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Default

We'll see... speculate, the fly-over will form up for Missing Man this year, just because?
Wadoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #48
BobbyC3
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13
 
BobbyC3's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Common courtesy and common sense are not common.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96LT4 View Post
I miss the old man, and watching him race. Been gone now 10 years.

Click the image to open in full size.
Dale made Nascar, 10 years ago today......still can't grasp why he died that terrible day. Micheal Waltrip won and it was a very bad day for him as well
BobbyC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:54 PM   #49
Gary96
CF Senior Member
 
Gary96's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2007
Location: Independence Kentucky
Default

Earnhardt was the best driver in the history of Nascar. He could take a "junk" car and still win with it. He did more for the sport than any other driver ever. It's because of Dale that today's drivers get paid like kings. Earnhardt wanted to win more than any other driver out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSHP1295 View Post
Basically everyone drove that way back in the day, but since he was the dominant driver he was dirty. NASCAR hasn't been the same since. Its been a steady decline and the empty bleachers prove that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Dlabay View Post
I was at the2001 Daytona 500 and saw the crash. I admit when I heard Dale had died I shed a tear. I got to see him win the 98 Daytona 500 and see him win his last race at Talladega in 2000. I still miss him. He was the best driver who did what it took to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo4stealth View Post
Just ONE example out of many instances. Punting Terry Labonte on the last lap at Bristol to steal a win and then laughing about it afterwards. Classless, at best.
Yeah, it was about as classless as Labonte hitting Dale three times to take the lead from Earnhardt the lap before. Go back and watch the replay of that race. I'm sick of people saying it was dirty of Earnhardt to win the race that way. Labonte got what he deserved that race.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Polo View Post
My racing bug had been replaced by more interesting racing in the ALMS and F1.
Last week in the Formula One Austrian Grand Prix, Rubens Barrichello, driving for team Ferrari, led the race from start to finish, but did not win. "How might that happen?" you may ask. Well, just as he was about to cross the finish line, team Ferrari ordered him to slow down and pull over to let teammate and F1 points leader Michael Schumacher pass him for the win.

Yeah, F1 is better. And some people here say that Nascar is fixed.

Last edited by Gary96; 02-18-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Gary96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:08 PM   #50
Vetteman Jack
CF Senior Member
MO Events Coordinator
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor

 
Vetteman Jack's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Jefferson City, MO Sometimes common sense isn't so common.

Default

Haven't really watched much NASCAR since his passing.
Vetteman Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:56 PM   #51
Markm10431
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09,'13, '14
 
Markm10431's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2002
Location: Jax FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadoka View Post
We'll see... speculate, the fly-over will form up for Missing Man this year, just because?
i think it would be a nice touch
Markm10431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #52
Les
CF Senior Member
 
Les's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Sierra Foothills CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADRACR1 View Post
I honestly didn't care much for him until about '96 or so, when Jr started coming up. Seeing how he was around him and how proud he was when his son did well showed a whole new side of him. If you read much about him the man was actually very generous. It was the track image he wanted, and the Intimidator personna served the purpose well.
I don't think he raced dirty. He was very competitive, yes. So were a lot of other drivers. I followed NASCAR from about '92 on and never missed a race until '06 or so. If you watch a lot of the old races you'll see it wasn't just E hat drove that way. He was just very successful at it. Like him or hate him, the man could do things in a car no one still can't touch. And at the time he died he was still in top form. I like Smoke because he has a lot of the same style, and while I don't care much for Shrub's personality that young man has a lot of the same style in his driving too.
I still miss the 3 every week on the track. It's like the 43. For old time fans when you see the 43 you still think of the King. I wish RCR would put the 3 back on the track. I don't really think E would have wanted it removed, but I do understand Harvick's hesitation in the beginning to try to drive that car.
If you get bored sometime look up the story of the '98 Daytona race and the lucky penny. It will give some insight into his real character.
This comes close to expressing my thoughts except that I was always a fan of him as a person and of his driving. He could do amazing things with a car even when it wasn't set up all that well. The recent features about his death that day by ESPN and tonight on the national news had me fighting back the tears all over again. Truthfully, I'll never get over it completely and I'm not a bit ashamed to admit it.
__________________
08 Jetstream Blue Z06 w/ Comp Grey wheels & 2LZ- and LeMans Blue 69 coupe, original 427(now 439), L88 hood, forged alum. pistons(9.5 comp), Barry Grant Holley DP, Edel. Perf. RPM Airgap intake, Edel. Perf. alum. heads, Ultradyne solid flat tappet cam(243/251 @.050,.586/.601 lift) Jet Hot coated Hedman headers, mandrel 2 1/2" exh. w/ Dynomax Ultraflos & X pipe, TH400 w/ B&M cooler, Continental 2600 RPM stall TC, 3.55 gears, QA1 adjust. shocks, MT ET Street Radials, 1/4 mile in 11.37 @ 119.7 MPH
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #53
slewfoot1956
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14
 
slewfoot1956's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2008
Location: SOMEWHERE IN THE SOUTHWEST-ARMY AVIATOR 75-95
Default

Remember all the coke commercials withhim and a few others in the movie theaters?
slewfoot1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:42 AM   #54
OSHP1295
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13
 
OSHP1295's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Z51 View Post
I've never been much of a NASCAR fan so I never really understood the whole Dale Sr thing. When I did watch, he seemed to be a complete *** on the track - wrecking people who were "in his way". Which I understand that kind of action is what makes circle track racing appealing to so many, but if anybody else drove with the same disregard for the other drivers in the EXACT same manner, they were booed and were hated by the fans. Yet, this was how Dale Sr seemed to always drive - his style. I never understood the double standard for him. He came across to me as a very dirty racer - certainly not the kind I respect.
You should've stopped right there, because the rest shows how little you do know.
OSHP1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #55
Gary96
CF Senior Member
 
Gary96's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2007
Location: Independence Kentucky
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Z51 View Post
I've never been much of a NASCAR fan so I never really understood the whole Dale Sr thing. When I did watch, he seemed to be a complete *** on the track - wrecking people who were "in his way". Which I understand that kind of action is what makes circle track racing appealing to so many, but if anybody else drove with the same disregard for the other drivers in the EXACT same manner, they were booed and were hated by the fans. Yet, this was how Dale Sr seemed to always drive - his style. I never understood the double standard for him. He came across to me as a very dirty racer - certainly not the kind I respect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSHP1295 View Post
You should've stopped right there, because the rest shows how little you do know.


I guess you haven't watched too many races over the years. Most racers have knocked another driver out of the way to get the position or the win. It happens most races by several drivers. It seems like they always made a point to replay it over and over when Dale Sr. did it.
Gary96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #56
slewfoot1956
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14
 
slewfoot1956's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2008
Location: SOMEWHERE IN THE SOUTHWEST-ARMY AVIATOR 75-95
Default

Here's a fair question.

If Dale Earnhardt hadn't died. Would he be the "big icon" he has been made into today or gone off into Michael Waltrip land not knowing when to give it up?

There were many great drivers along side him and to make him out as the best is bullsht. He gets himself killed and overnight he is now Mr Nascar?

Last edited by slewfoot1956; 02-19-2011 at 09:25 AM.
slewfoot1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #57
OSHP1295
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13
 
OSHP1295's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewfoot1956 View Post
Here's a fair question.

If Dale Earnhardt hadn't died. Would he be the "big icon" he has been made into today or gone off into Michael Waltrip land not knowing when to give it up?
He was already an icon and to compare him to MW is ridiculous. He finished 2nd in the points in 2000 and had a very strong showing at Daytona in '01 before the crash. He wasn't done yet.
OSHP1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #58
slewfoot1956
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14
 
slewfoot1956's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2008
Location: SOMEWHERE IN THE SOUTHWEST-ARMY AVIATOR 75-95
Default

Sounds like you all are talking about Cpt:Tuttle!
slewfoot1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #59
CaptnJack
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2010
Location: Mahopac NY
Default

Let the haters hate nothing you can do about it ............... I enjoyed watching Dale race and I am sorry he is gone.

When I did the Richard Petty experience in Las Vegas I gained a whole lot of respect for what these guys do, and thier lives are in danger the minute they get behind the wheel. I only did 165 mph in Dale jr #8 thatas scarey as hell getting so close to the wall and the G-orce is tremendous. I also did the Mario Andretti ride along and did 185 MPH that was insane there is not a whole lot between you and the concrete.
CaptnJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #60
hendrix68
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13-'14
 
hendrix68's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary96 View Post
Yeah, it was about as classless as Labonte hitting Dale three times to take the lead from Earnhardt the lap before. Go back and watch the replay of that race. I'm sick of people saying it was dirty of Earnhardt to win the race that way. Labonte got what he deserved that race.
You're really reaching here. Labonte was WAY faster than Earnhardt at the end of that race. He didn't have to hit Dale intentionally to get around him. Any contact they had was incidental. In fact, it looked like Dale got into Labonte when they were side by side. Not vice-versa. The bottom line is Earnhardt took him out to win.

On the other hand, is this incidental contact? Watch the fans cheer when Dale gets black flagged. Justice served.

hendrix68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:50 AM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page Dale Earnhardt Sr #3
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
500, bad, dale, day, daytona, dirty, earnhardt, flyover, man, missing, played, racer, remember, sr, very


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:28 AM.


Emails & Password Backup

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2