Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 12-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
Dbl6gun
CF Senior Member

Default HOA's.... How much power DO they have & WHAT homeowners do LEGALLY to fight back?

I am asking because my wife and I found a larger/newer home for sale that we would love to buy, found out that that neighborhood has a HOA.... got online to research this HOA and got spooked!

I spent 4 hours at this HOA's website trying to get a feel for how this HOA operates.... and got a very BAD feeling.

I read all of their meeting minutes and their covenants/by laws.....
Looks like you almost need to submit a written request to even move your coiled up garden hose from one side of the garage to the other! <--- I exaggerated the garden hose example to illustrate a point.

HERE is that HOA's website (The juiciest parts are found in the meeting minutes):
http://www.cottonwoodspringshoa.com/

FYI:
Both my wife and I make good money, have nice things and we take good care of our home, yard, property, etc... We take pride in our home and we keep it well maintained where we currently live, we do NOT have a HOA. I can see the good side to HOAs ....and I am also seeing the DARK side!

Is there ANYTHING legally a homeowner can do to blunt the power of a HOA that is populated by a bunch of busybody-Nazi-control-freaks?

I have a live-let-live outlook for he most part..... I mind my own business ...and get VERY P.O'ed when someone sticks their nose in my personal business...
My wife loves to create and maintain flower beds and the thought of having to "submit a plan, a drawing and a request" to plant roses versus another type of flowering plant seems ABSURD to me!!! <--- Flower example NOT exaggerated!

I can see how an HOA can do good things to help maintain tranquility in a neighborhood.... and I am now seeing how an HOA can totally STOMP on a homeowner's property rights to the extreme!

My wife and I have decided against purchasing a home in that neighborhood.

Last edited by Dbl6gun; 12-08-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Dbl6gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
...Mark...
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl6gun View Post
My wife and I have decided against purchasing a home in that neighborhood.
So why the thread?
...Mark... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
GTrain
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14

This one looks good to me......I won't live in a neighborhood without one. And you should count yourself lucky that there is one that enforces the rules. Some just don't do a thing.

Read the requirements, if what turns out to be basic requirements is just too much for your sense of personality, move elsewhere. The issues in most HOA's are around people that won't pay, boats, trailers, fences and new buildings. The rest is just common sense....

I don't care how much money one has or makes, there are ALWAYS arsholes that just don't give a crap. You can be in the ballerest neighborhood and one **** just said "f-you all" and THAT is when the HOA is the best thing you can have.
GTrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06
Support Corvetteforum!

rwscissors2

HOAs are just, in their own way, another level of government, with all of the positives and negatives that that entails.
Scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
pewter99
Auctioneer Administrator
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepower View Post
So why the thread?
looks like he edited about the time you posted...
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
Dbl6gun
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepower View Post
So why the thread?
I have never lived in a home that had a HOA..... I've heard horror stories of HOAs making some homeowner's existence unbearable. So the point of this thread is to learn if there is any legal recourse for the homeowner to restrain a HOA ... IF that HOA is run by over-reaching, over bearing control freaks.

I DO see how an HOA can help, if a complete dirtbag buys a home in your neighborhood and decides to paint this new house Pepto-Bismol-PINK and trash his property and house because he is a total slob..... I'd side with the HOA.... but.... I am also seeing the flip side too!

WHAT IF.... the HOA is run by a bunch of bored, power-hungry Busy-Bodies ...that have nothing better to do, than make homeowner's lives expensive AND miserable?!? IS there ANY tangible LEGAL recourse OTHER than NOT moving in there OR moving away?

Last edited by Dbl6gun; 12-08-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
DJ_Critterus
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09

Go with your gut feeling. If you were to move in I guarantee the stuff that you are worried about now will always haunt you and you'll never be comfortable there.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #8
pewter99
Auctioneer Administrator
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:

WHAT IF.... the HOA has a bunch of bored, power-hungry Busy-Bodies ...that have nothing better to do than make homeowner's lives expensive AND miserable!

we have one who tries......
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
DJ_Critterus
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewter99 View Post
we have one who tries......
There was an old lady in my parent's neighbor hood who was like this. It's amazing how quick she shut up when Mom videotaped her house and pointed out every little flaw at one of the HOA meetings. HOA pretty much stays away from the culdesac where my parents' house is now
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #10
Dbl6gun
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTrain View Post
This one looks good to me......I won't live in a neighborhood without one. And you should count yourself lucky that there is one that enforces the rules. Some just don't do a thing.

Read the requirements, if what turns out to be basic requirements is just too much for your sense of personality, move elsewhere. The issues in most HOA's are around people that won't pay, boats, trailers, fences and new buildings. The rest is just common sense....

I don't care how much money one has or makes, there are ALWAYS arsholes that just don't give a crap. You can be in the ballerest neighborhood and one **** just said "f-you all" and THAT is when the HOA is the best thing you can have.
I see the point you are making and for the most-part do agree..... but having to ASK PERMISSION to plant roses versus lillies.... (not an exaggerated example)... seems like that HOA is going overboard in it's control!!
Old 12-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
smearig
CF Senior Member

You sound like the kind of person who should buy in a non-HOA neighborhood. If you're the type who gets filled with rage when a neighbor doesn't bring in his trash cans, works on a car in his driveway or lets his grass get long, then you should buy in an HOA.

I can't handle HOAs or even city governments so I live in an unincorporated area of our county.
smearig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #12
mojo1
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Send a message via AIM to mojo1

There will be tons of stuff written the may not be applied, I have seen a lot of junk in ours but never had a problem. I just went through them to get project approved and it wasnt that bad. But seems as though you already made up your mind.
mojo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #13
F40
CF Senior Member

I would never live anywhere with out an HOA they will stop a lot of problems.If you maintain your property no problem.
F40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #14
mojo1
CF Senior Member

Quote:
I see the point you are making and for the most-part do agree..... but having to ASK PERMISSION to plant roses versus lillies.... (not an exaggerated example)... seems like that HOA is going overboard in it's control!!
I doubt they would ever worry about plants, even though its in writing, you think they can keep track to down to that level, no way and not only that they wont care.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #15
TexBlade
CF Senior Member

Love the HOA'S, would not live anyplace without one!!! Keeps the cars off the front lawns and the Campers, Boats, and RVís out of the alleys and from becoming permanent fixtures in the driveways year around!
Old 12-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #16
Bingo Fuel
CF Senior Member

Wait, they have HOAs in the Tri-Cities?
I thought it was all mobile homes.
Bingo Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #17
Dbl6gun
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1 View Post
There will be tons of stuff written the may not be applied, I have seen a lot of junk in ours but never had a problem. I just went through them to get project approved and it wasnt that bad. But seems as though you already made up your mind.

Almost made up my mind..... I am still mentally processing this HOA thing. I DO see (ideally) how an HOA CAN be beneficial! I am also seeing a dark side. This HOA thing is new territory for me. The part that really spooks me, is... it looks like they can foreclose on a home, EVEN if the so-called HOA violations are petty!

Your HOA board members may be good honest folks now... but fast forward to several years from now, you could end up with Gestapo-Nazi types..... other than selling and moving, WHAT legal recourse would a homeowner have?

I believe in the concept of "Checks & Balances" ... and legal recourse if you are unfortunate enough to have over-reaching HOA board members. So far, I am not seeing much, if any, "Checks & Balances" where HOAs are concerned.

So far, my gut is sending up warning flags.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #18
belmor
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to belmor Send a message via Yahoo to belmor

I wouldn't do it, find a place in a nice neighborhood that self polices these types of issues.

~B~
belmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #19
mojo1
CF Senior Member

They can put a lien on a home but I dint think they can for close,last 3 houses I have bought have been with HOA and never had a problem, over 20 years worth, I would not worry at all about an HOA, but thats just me, I have faith.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #20
Dbl6gun
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo Fuel View Post
Wait, they have HOAs in the Tri-Cities?
I thought it was all mobile homes.

We have the full spectrum ..... Depends on what floats your boat!

What part of the country do you live?
(since you carefully left that out of your profile)
Old 12-08-2010, 11:33 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page HOA's.... How much power DO they have & WHAT homeowners do LEGALLY to fight back?

Tags
back, board, directors, fight, have, hoa, hoas, homeowners, information, kind, lawyer, legally, pa, power, request