Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 09-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #21
AGFNTB
CF Senior Member

Not sure if this will help you, but it worked for my Craftsman jack that had similar issue. This is an excerpt from another forum I am part of.

Quote:
I did a search for Craftsman jack leaks, and this seems to be the best thread that I could find. Nothing came up when I searched for jack 50240.

I bought a Craftsman jack (part #50240, 3000 lb capacity) a few years ago, and it has been leaking fluid for the last year or two, most noticeably when it is being stored and not when supporting a load. This failure is common for this jack if you Google that part number.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=craft...fp=KxYPMM6r3XA

Aside from the leak, the jack is pretty decent for the typical made in China crap (not too heavy aluminum/steel construction, was reasonably priced, goes higher than most HF jacks, starts out lower than most jacks).

From what I have seen, most people just ****can the jack when it begins leaking, as Sears gets something like $125 to fix it. Since that's about what I paid for the damn thing it the first place, it wasn't an option for me, and neither was blowing another $150 on a new jack. I also figure that the average person who posts "product reviews" online probably isn't able or willing to tear into the broken item to attempt a repair before throwing it out.

Fortunately, for many of us who own this jack, this leak can be fixed relatively easily. It appears that the pump piston (the one that the handle actuates, not the ram) is the culprit, but the leak actually comes from the pressure release valve (the one that is opened when you turn the handle to let the jack down). You will need an 11mm Allen wrench and a 12mm socket. Unbolt the jack handle from the frame with the 11mm Allen wrench (note that 1 side is left hand thread, the other side is normal). With the handle out of the way, remove the 12mm head bolt that holds the retaining tab for the pressure release valve U-joint. Then, unscrew the PRV all the way and pull it out, but be careful, as some fluid will spray out when you remove it, and there is a single ball bearing inside that may also shoot out. There is a small rubber O-ring around the PRV that needs to be replaced, so I used one that was just a little larger and fit more snugly in the bore. Oil the O-ring a bit and reassemble everything.

So far, so good. Cleaning up the puddle under the jack has been a daily task recently, but it's been together for 24 hours, with a fresh fill of jack fluid, and the floor is dry so far. Let's hope that it holds up.
AGFNTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #22
BobbyC3
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
Not so long ago, I ditched my old Sears jack that is by now some 35 years old...back when they built things in this country.....a replacement at Sears was about 250 bux or so.....

Harbor Freight....steel jack, lo profile to fit under wife's Miata....65 bux on sale....

if it lasts 1/2 as long, I will still be dead....

use jack stands....

Love my 4 year old Harbor Freight racing jack No problems, jack stands always.
BobbyC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #23
C5iveRacer
CF Senior Member

Location: My brain is on that ^ beach........my body is elsewhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyC3 View Post
Love my 4 year old Harbor Freight racing jack No problems, jack stands always.
Are you talking about this?

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=67408
C5iveRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #24
BobbyC3
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5iveRacer View Post
Yep, I've even jacked up my Tahoe, but it was at it's max. but did the job well.
BobbyC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:58 PM   #25
wcsinx
CF Senior Member

ANY hydraulic piston will fail prematurely with infrequent use like some of you guys are describing. Take it out and exercise it once in awhile.
wcsinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:21 AM   #26
Schwag One

Where did you buy the jack; Sears or K-Mart, because sears owns k-mart which sells craftsman products AND the products are made overseas...you pay for what you get
Schwag One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:28 AM   #27
The_Dude
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11

I took one to a hydraulic cylinder place and had it repaired for around $50.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:31 AM   #28
snide
CF Senior Member
CI 4-5-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Location: You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make him think. - snide The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard on duty.
Send a message via AIM to snide Send a message via MSN to snide Send a message via Skype™ to snide

Don't Craftsman tools have a lifetime warranty?
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:22 AM   #29
Lightfoot
CF Senior Member
CI 1 through 10 Vet

Same happened to a floorjack i bought at wally world. I opened the fill hole and put a few drops of brake fluid in the oil. (used the same trick to stop oil leaks on the pumps at my car wash years ago--Brake fluid softens and slightly expands the rubber seals and o-rings). I might use mine once a year--Been a couple years now, and mine still not leaking. Worth a try.

And for all the jack stand comments-where did the OP say he wasn't using jack stands?

Last edited by Lightfoot; 09-05-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #30
ProfMoriarty
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
And for all the jack stand comments-where did the OP say he wasn't using jack stands?
He didn't.

The comments were to illustrate the importance of using jack stands, independent of any mention or lack thereof of their use in the OP's post.
ProfMoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #31
Lightfoot
CF Senior Member
CI 1 through 10 Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfMoriarty View Post
He didn't.

The comments were to illustrate the importance of using jack stands, independent of any mention or lack thereof of their use in the OP's post.
isn't that special.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #32
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
St. Jude Donor '09
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: 1.Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me... 2.That which does not kill me will probably hurt like hell. 3. Islam is the enemy.
Send a message via AIM to Jughead

Quote:
I bought a 2 1/2 ton Sears Craftsman floor jack about 2 years ago, I think I have used it twice, maybe 3 times. I go to use it today and as I'm jacking the car it starts spewing oil out of the top of the piston like the Deepwater Horizon in the Gulf

Now it won't work at all.

I know Craftsman hand tools have a lifetime warranty because I have used it before but I'm wondering if this would apply to a hydraulic jack?

Anybody?

did you call the EPA or FEMA?
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:59 AM   #33
mgroshong
CF Senior Member

I have a mid sized craftsman jack ( can't remember the weight rating) and i use it semi regularly and it hasn't had one issue sense i got it in 2000. Idk if they stopped making them the same way (which i doubt) or people just fail at using a jack properly.

the key to keeping a jack from failing is to use it and when you do make sure it's fully shut when jacking. I have held the front of a car or corner of a car for days when tearing things apart. Of course this is not the recommended way to use a jack nor do i advise it with most people but it shows that the jacks work just fine. and i think it's user error or lack of use that makes these fail.
mgroshong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #34
C5iveRacer
CF Senior Member

Location: My brain is on that ^ beach........my body is elsewhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfMoriarty View Post
He didn't.

I honestly didn't think it was necessary to endorse the importance of jack stands. I thought that was common knowledge.

Never got around to using the jack stands because I never got the car off the ground due to the jack failure.

I guess when I get a new one I will go around my neighborhood offering to jack peoples cars so it gets some regular use
C5iveRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #35
Shrek
CF Senior Member

Quote:
It's a crap shoot! I bought this same US General from HF almost 7 years ago and have had zero issues with it. I recommended it to friends who then purchased them from venders at Carlisle. I think 2 out of 3 of those failed within the first 2 months.
Shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #36
J S Machine
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14
St. Jude Knife Maker

I have the non-aluminum jack from harbor Freight. It is the orange steel one - 2.5 tons I think - weighs about 500lbs. That thing is so fecking heavy it almost isn't worth it..

But about 8 years later it still works fine. It has a very slow leak but it isn't anything significant. doesn't matter anyway if you use jack stands.
J S Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #37
MardiGrasMan
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmikeee View Post
Lack of use can cause the o-rings to let go prematurely..
My Craftsman jack is 5 years old, no problems. I keep it clean and use it. Also, I'm a firm believer in jackstands.
MardiGrasMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #38
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't know what happened to your jack...my 2-ton Craftsman floor jack has worked great for years. I do, however, replace the jack oil every year or two.

Sears used to be great about standing behind their products...or at least servicing what they sell. No more. I had a Craftsman torque wrench repaired at the local Sears Service Center a couple years ago. Now, the locking ring broke on the same torque wrench. I drive to the Sears Service Center but it's closed down. I take the torque wrench to the Sears store and they inform me they don't service a torque wrench...they say call their toll-free service number. The national Sears 'service' center is no help at all. The only things I ever buy at Sears are tools but if they won't repair a Craftsman tool I'm losing faith.
Wayne O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #39
Gary79
CF Senior Member

I would take it back to Sears. they had a problem with their Chinese made jacks a few yrs ago. remind them of this and demand they replace it ....free.
Gary79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #40
BHP
CF Senior Member

Yep, Crapsman! I have a 35 year Harbor Freight jack that has never leaked or collapsed. It was made in Red China.
BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:13 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page Craftsman floor jack FAIL!

Tags
50240, 67408, craftsman, failing, floor, fluid, general, hydraulic, jack, joint, leak, repair, retaining, stand, tab