Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
Mark_Milner
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Default [Geek] Laptop Hard Drive Advice 5400 vs 7200 RPM

I'm planning on replacing the 160 Gb hard drive in my Thinkpad T61. It is a WDC1600BEVS running 5400 rpm, 12 ms, 8 Mb Cache, and 1/5 Gb/s.


I was originally planning on 320 Gb last fall, but time flies, and I haven't done it yet, and now 500Gb are common.


I'm looking at ones from MicroCenter.


Hitachi Travelstar 500 GB in 5400 and 7200 rpm
16 Mb cache, 12 ms seek, latency 4.2 ms, up to 3.0 GB/s



Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVTRTL
and
Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT
both
8 Mb cache, 12 ms seek, latency 5.5 ms, up to 3.0 GB/s



Seagate Technology Momentus ST905003N3A1AS-RK 500GB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard Drive
16 Mb cache, 12.5 ms write, latency -- ms, up to 3.0 GB/s


Seagate Technology Momentus ST905003N1A1AS-RK 500GB 5,400 RPM SATA 3Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard Drive
8 Mb cache, -- ms seek, latency -- ms, up to 3.0 GB/s



Basic feeling is that 7200 vs 5400 is faster, however, it isn't all that simple. The 16 Mb cache is important, but then being a laptop, the expense of battery life, heat, and noise has to be considered.


Then I have to wonder if the two year old T61 might be limited in handling the 7200 rpm or 500 GB drives. I ran into that years ago when adding large drives to old computers which couldn't handle the ATA of the new drive.



Thoughts? Opinions?
__________________
---------------------------------------------
The baddest coupe in the Corvette Valley
Not related to Martin Milner, but maybe John Milner.
Mark_Milner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
NoOne
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 1999
Location: West Bloomfield MI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Milner View Post
I'm planning on replacing the 160 Gb hard drive in my Thinkpad T61. It is a WDC1600BEVS running 5400 rpm, 12 ms, 8 Mb Cache, and 1/5 Gb/s.


I was originally planning on 320 Gb last fall, but time flies, and I haven't done it yet, and now 500Gb are common.


I'm looking at ones from MicroCenter.


Hitachi Travelstar 500 GB in 5400 and 7200 rpm
16 Mb cache, 12 ms seek, latency 4.2 ms, up to 3.0 GB/s



Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVTRTL
and
Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT
both
8 Mb cache, 12 ms seek, latency 5.5 ms, up to 3.0 GB/s



Seagate Technology Momentus ST905003N3A1AS-RK 500GB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard Drive
16 Mb cache, 12.5 ms write, latency -- ms, up to 3.0 GB/s


Seagate Technology Momentus ST905003N1A1AS-RK 500GB 5,400 RPM SATA 3Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard Drive
8 Mb cache, -- ms seek, latency -- ms, up to 3.0 GB/s



Basic feeling is that 7200 vs 5400 is faster, however, it isn't all that simple. The 16 Mb cache is important, but then being a laptop, the expense of battery life, heat, and noise has to be considered.


Then I have to wonder if the two year old T61 might be limited in handling the 7200 rpm or 500 GB drives. I ran into that years ago when adding large drives to old computers which couldn't handle the ATA of the new drive.



Thoughts? Opinions?
Do you REALLY need the space?

If not the 64gb SSD's are getting to around 100 on sale.

They are silly fast and really notice it in a laptop since laptop drives are always slower than desktops. It equals out the performance of desktops/laptops.

My 2.26ghz Core2 Duo laptop with a SSD is WAY faster than my wife's 2.93Ghz Core i3 w/ a 10,000rpm Velociprator in it.
__________________
During his 1956 presidential campaign, a woman called out to Adlai Stevenson: "Senator, you have the vote of every thinking person!" Stevenson called back: "That's not enough, madam, we need a majority!"
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
TabuIsMe
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11, '14
 
TabuIsMe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Send a message via AIM to TabuIsMe Send a message via Yahoo to TabuIsMe
Default

I just ordered a 300 gb 10k RPM velociraptor, didn't get it yet, so no comment on performance yet, but you should check into SSD drives too.
TabuIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
Thunder22
CF Senior Member
 
Thunder22's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: NY/NJ
Default

Get the fastest RPM drive you want to afford in the size that you need. The hd speed, cpu and RAM determine the responsiveness of a computer, and the HD speed is usually the most overlooked, so get a fast RPM drive.
Thunder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
calwldlife
CF Senior Member
 
calwldlife's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Cal Ca
Default

I will throw my opinion in.
I like the low speed drives.
calwldlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
ZippoMan
CF Senior Member
 
ZippoMan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Orange County, CA
Default

I'd go with a 320GB WD Scorpio Black (7200RPM). I've used a bunch with great success.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
65 Drivr
CF Senior Member
 
65 Drivr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Location: Nassau County, Long Island NY
Default

Do you use the laptop on battery alot?
The 7200rpm drive will use the battery up faster than the 5400rpm
65 Drivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #8
Mark_Milner
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Default

I'm not on the battery a lot, but I am on the road a lot.

If I were home, I wouldn't worry and just keep all of it on an external drive, but I like to have it all accessible and that means having it easily accessible rather than a stack of DVDs.

I could just carry a portable drive and dump everything to it. But then it all travels across the USB line for transfer.

And at $90 for an external portable 500 GB drive or $100 for a 1TB external desktop drive, I can be into a 500 GB internal drive and not hassle with carrying a portable drive around all the time. Plus access is faster.
__________________
---------------------------------------------
The baddest coupe in the Corvette Valley
Not related to Martin Milner, but maybe John Milner.
Mark_Milner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #9
NoOne
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 1999
Location: West Bloomfield MI
Default

Get both:

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/214703

Got pretty good reviews, extremely fast and lots of space.
__________________
During his 1956 presidential campaign, a woman called out to Adlai Stevenson: "Senator, you have the vote of every thinking person!" Stevenson called back: "That's not enough, madam, we need a majority!"
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:37 PM   #10
Romeo Barrera
CF Senior Member
 
Romeo Barrera's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 1999
Location: West Melbourne FL
Send a message via Skype™ to Romeo Barrera
Default

I upgraded to a WD 7200 RPM drive and while the performance is great, there is alot more vibration. The vibration seems to be common amongst all the 7200 RPM drives. The guy who got a Velociraptor..........you'll burn one up trying to run it in a laptop/netbook. Seagate Momentus XT is something to look into as it has 4 gigs of SLC flash cache (read only) that improves load performance once it's 'learned' the programs you use...... No One beat me to it.
Romeo Barrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:21 AM   #11
Mirroredshades
CF Senior Member
 
Mirroredshades's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Hookers and Blow NC
Default

I would go with the slower drive simply for battery life alone. Plus, a two year old T61 is a good laptop but it isn't a rocket ship anyway. Spend the money on more RAM. That will give you a better performance boost

Mirroredshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:33 AM   #12
Bluefire
CF Senior Member
 
Bluefire's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: Hillsboro OR
Default

Go with an SSD. They use less power too.
Bluefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:00 AM   #13
NoOne
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 1999
Location: West Bloomfield MI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirroredshades View Post
I would go with the slower drive simply for battery life alone. Plus, a two year old T61 is a good laptop but it isn't a rocket ship anyway. Spend the money on more RAM. That will give you a better performance boost

HD speed is the #1 performance factor all other things being equal.
__________________
During his 1956 presidential campaign, a woman called out to Adlai Stevenson: "Senator, you have the vote of every thinking person!" Stevenson called back: "That's not enough, madam, we need a majority!"
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:54 AM   #14
EHS
CF Senior Member
 
EHS's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
HD speed is the #1 performance factor all other things being equal.
EHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:54 AM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page [Geek] Laptop Hard Drive Advice 5400 vs 7200 RPM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
25, 5000, 5400, 7200, digital, drive, fastest, forum, hard, laptop, netbook, rpm, sata, wdc1600bevs, western


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Emails & Password Backup

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2