Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 03-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Petew1971
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Default Whats the best way to remove paint from plastic

Friend has an old vehicle and cant find the center caps for the wheels new so they want to paint the ones they have.

What will remove the paint without messing up the plastic?
Petew1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
et1199
CF Senior Member

possibly oven cleaner depending on the paint. i used to use that on model cars.

if that doesnt work a jack hammer, but he'll have to have a gentle touch
et1199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
Petew1971
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by et1199 View Post
possibly oven cleaner depending on the paint. i used to use that on model cars.

if that doesnt work a jack hammer, but he'll have to have a gentle touch
I heard brake fluid works also but never tried it
Old 03-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
et1199
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petew1971 View Post
I heard brake fluid works also but never tried it
i know brake fluid aint good for paint. dont know what it would do to plastic. i have used the oven cleaner on model cars alot. takes it off clean without touching the plastic at all. like i said, im sure the type of paint will affect results though.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
X-ZZ4
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In II Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via AIM to X-ZZ4

Grinding wheel.

X-ZZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
Petew1971
CF Senior Member

Quote:
i know brake fluid aint good for paint. dont know what it would do to plastic. i have used the oven cleaner on model cars alot. takes it off clean without touching the plastic at all. like i said, im sure the type of paint will affect results though.
I have some old Tundra center caps I can test a few things on..theres gotta be something that is made for this though
Old 03-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
Petew1971
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-ZZ4 View Post
Grinding wheel.

nothing like a nice rough finish for paint to stick to
Old 03-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
X-ZZ4
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In II Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via AIM to X-ZZ4

Quote:
nothing like a nice rough finish for paint to stick to
X-ZZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
85 Dave
CF Senior Member

Just paint over the existing paint. Sand smooth and paint.
85 Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #10
Petew1971
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85 Dave View Post
Just paint over the existing paint. Sand smooth and paint.
might come down to that
Old 03-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
et1199
CF Senior Member

from googling a lot of sites are saying pine sol. let it soak for a couple hours then use a toothbrush to scrub it. dont add water. rinse and repeat.

dont gloss over the jack hammer idea previously mentioned by the good looking intelligent forum member
Old 03-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #12
Petew1971
CF Senior Member

Quote:
from googling a lot of sites are saying pine sol. let it soak for a couple hours then use a toothbrush to scrub it. dont add water. rinse and repeat.

dont gloss over the jack hammer idea previously mentioned by the good looking intelligent forum member
weird the stuff that will take paint off ..I have 4 old tundra center caps I can soak each one in different chit and see which one works
Old 03-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #13
et1199
CF Senior Member

Quote:
weird the stuff that will take paint off ..I have 4 old tundra center caps I can soak each one in different chit and see which one works
do it. i love science experiments. post results with pics (including calculator, gun and kitchen utensil)
Old 03-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #14
CordMcNally
CF Senior Member

O'Reilly's has some aircraft paint stripper that is made to work with plastics, I believe.
CordMcNally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #15
Petew1971
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiems View Post
O'Reilly's has some aircraft paint stripper that is made to work with plastics, I believe.
thanx for the info man
Old 03-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #16
et1199
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiems View Post
that sounds more expensive and less exciting than pine sol
Old 03-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #17
RotorHead
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'08, '14
GATORS Chomp OU 4 St. Jude '09

Send a message via MSN to RotorHead

http://www.kleanstripauto.com/

Go to this website and look under aircraft on the left.
RotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #18
kenv
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work

Found this on the web-------

If the paint stuck to the plastic is latex or water based paint, you can use a sponge and soapy water. However, when the paint is oil-based (like mine was) you need to use care in removing in it as you might damage the plastic. You can, of course, try to scrape paint off plastic but you run the risk of scratching it with the tool you use. In the case of my plastic chair, I didn't want to scratch it so I decide to try 4 different readily available household products and report their results. In order of gentlest to harshest, here are the 4 paint removal products I tried:

Vegetable Oil

Yup, that's right. In my case, I had Canola oil so that's what I used. I applied the oil to my rag and scrubbed the affected area. It took a bit of time, muscle and I did use my fingernail through the rag but I was able to remove most the paint. Another plus, none of the color came off.

Pinesol (Orange)

I used the Pinesol concentrate directly on my rag and scrubbed. I still had to use a bit of elbow grease but the paint did come off more easily. Again, no discoloration.

Rubbing Alcohol

The rubbing alcohol was particularly effective. A lot less scrubbing and the paint came off the plastic easily. There was a small amount of color left on the rag but I could see no visible difference on the chair.

Paint Thinner

Using the same method as the 3 previous products, I applied the paint thinner to my rag and scrubbed the area. The paint came off a little but not a lot more easily than the rubbing alcohol. However, a lot of color was left on my rag. The discoloration that occurred was slight and unfortunately, it could not be picked up in the picture.

I tried the 4 above methods on my paint splattered chair and a painted pvc pipe. You can see the pictures by clicking on the link below.

Page:12Next Page »SharePrint
Save
Flag
Close Please log in to flag content
Close Insider's Guide on How to Remove Paint from Plastic Type in your e-mail address below to receive an automated reminder to come back and read this piece of content. Your e-mail address will not be used for anything other than the automated reminder.Your email address:
Related Video How to Use Paint Stripper By 5min How to Remove Deep Dents on a M3... By 5min How To Apply Paint to Ceilings a... By 5min You Searched - removing pai...close - X
If this is not what you were looking for, please check out the results below, or search again.
View all 298 results on this topic
A Beginner's Guide to Removing Paint from...
Removing Paint from Plastic
Removing Paint from Carpet
Remove Paint from Wood Surfaces Mechanical...
Tips for Removing Paint from Concrete
How to Remove Paint from Wood or Metal Comments+ Post a New CommentView CommentsType in Your Comments Below

Erika Northman

10/21/2009Dan, I didn't remember about brake fluid but I have heard that one, too. Oven cleaner is a first for me. Thanks for your additions. Dan Chisler
(Guest)

10/21/2009The old time method is to use brake fluid to remove paint from plastic it takes a while but really works without any melting of the plastic . I also heard to use oven cleaner but have not uet tried it. Faith Draper

08/11/2009Great tips, bookmarking this for future reference! Comments 1 - 3 (of 3) You Searched - removing pai...close - X
If this is not what you were looking for, please check out the results below, or search again.
View all 298 results on this topic
A Beginner's Guide to Removing Paint from...
Removing Paint from Plastic
Removing Paint from Carpet
Remove Paint from Wood Surfaces Mechanical...
Tips for Removing Paint from Concrete
How to Remove Paint from Wood or Metal

Close Arts & EntertainmentBooksHumorMoviesMusicPeople TelevisionAutomotiveBusiness & Finance Business to BusinessCareers & Job Searching LegalMarketingNonprofit InformationReal EstateHealth & WellnessAlternative MedicineDiseases & ConditionsDrugs & MedicationsFitness & ExerciseMental HealthHome ImprovementDecorating & DesignGardeningLifestyleBeautyCrafts & HobbiesDating & RelationshipsDieting & Weight LossFertility & PregnancyFood & WineGreenHolidaysParentingPetsShopping & FashionWeddingsNewsHistoryNews videoOpinion and EditorialPoliticsSocietyEducationGamblin gLocalMemoirsPoetryProseReligion & SpiritualitySeniorsShort storiesSportsRecreationTechnologyScience Tech TutorialsVideo GamesTravelSearchAudio LibrarySlideshow LibraryVideo LibraryAbout UsAbout UsBoard of DirectorsManagementCareersPress RoomContact UsHelpTutorialsSubmission
GuidelinesPerformance
PaymentsFAQPublishTextAudioImageSlidesho wVideoAssignment DeskCommunityForumThe BlogPromotional ToolsRSS & WidgetsContestsNewsletterContributor SearchFeatured
ContributorsCommunity
Guides
Decorating & DesignGardeningOther Categories »More:Paint RemovalRemoving PaintPinesolPlasticPaintOil PaintPaint Tipsadvanced »
Log in | Sign up/Publish | Community | Help Close Log in with OpenID | Forget your password? Home | About Us | Help | Advertise | Media Solutions | Need Content? | The Blog | RSS/Widgets | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Site Map | Copyright Infringement | Disclaimer
© 2010 Associated Content, Inc. ExpandShareTweet
Share on Facebook
Post a comment
3 5Helpful?Most Commented TodayFDA Proves that E-Cigars Are Harmful to Your Health39 CommentsThis, that and the Other35 CommentsA Little Love.32 CommentsA Day at the Depot28 CommentsWho's Beeping You Now?27 CommentsIdioms25 Comments

"EVERY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD ONE"

The only thing that stops me from being rich is the lack of money.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole
kenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #19
Torqaholic
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09

Brake fluid is instant death for plastic!

You can probably get paint off of plastic if you have patience. And I mean like days of keeping it wet with either mineral spirits or that orange peel solvent.

I just found out last week that "Goo Gone" is made of orange peel. You might try some of that but like I said it will require days of keeping the paint saturated with it IF it is going to work.

Before repainting wipe with isoprophyl alcohol and use a primer. It helps if you have samples to test. Mistakes are not reversible.
Torqaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #20
Petew1971
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
Found this on the web-------

If the paint stuck to the plastic is latex or water based paint, you can use a sponge and soapy water. However, when the paint is oil-based (like mine was) you need to use care in removing in it as you might damage the plastic. You can, of course, try to scrape paint off plastic but you run the risk of scratching it with the tool you use. In the case of my plastic chair, I didn't want to scratch it so I decide to try 4 different readily available household products and report their results. In order of gentlest to harshest, here are the 4 paint removal products I tried:
thanx for the write up man
Old 03-02-2010, 07:19 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page Whats the best way to remove paint from plastic

Tags
cap, caps, center, chrome, corvettepaintstripper, household, items, nmsc, oil, paint, plastic, remove, test, vegetable, whats