Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 10-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #61
Milton Fox
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I wouldnt turn down any year...
Milton Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:31 PM   #62
Craig Brumley
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5R USA View Post
1968...I've never heard one owner give rave reviews for this model year.
And the build quality was so bad, Car and Driver gave it back without testing it, stating it was "unsafe".

...kind of like Car and Driver is now...
Craig Brumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:41 PM   #63
Polar_Bear
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via MSN to Polar_Bear

'84. I was there- twice as bad as the less-than-stellar late 70's- early 80's C3's.

Crossfire motor you couldn't keep running correctly
bizarre 4+3 manual... but the Automatic was actually worse.
Z51 suspension that acted like it was bolted to the chassis. Would beat your kidney's into submission, knock teeth fillings out, and literally shake the (poorly constructed) body and interior parts to pieces.

Ironically, the later C4's ('94-'96) turned into decent cars. I'd take one over a C5 to this day.
Polar_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #64
UniqueDoug
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar_Bear View Post

Ironically, the later C4's ('94-'96) turned into decent cars. I'd take one over a C5 to this day.
A '96 over an '02 Z06???
UniqueDoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #65
JRD77VET
CF Senior Member
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Send a message via AIM to JRD77VET

Ok, there were some bad apples in the basket but look at what it has evolved into

Started with a 6 cylinder which became a V-8. Then some more performance both engines and handling.

Then independent rear suspension. The next year brought in four wheel disk brakes. Big blocks poured on raw power.

A new body style brought in more power and better handling. Then smog motors took away power.

Another new body style and ( at the time ) world class handling. Power was on it's way back up. The ZR1 was serious power.

Another new body style and a new engine design plus better weight distribution. Soon it was 400 horsepower PLUS 30 mpg on the highway.

Now in addition to a world class powerhouse at half the entry price of most of the exotics, you have a literal 200 mph super car.

The corvette has had an amazing journey
JRD77VET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #66
Polar_Bear
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via MSN to Polar_Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueDoug View Post
A '96 over an '02 Z06???
Ya know, it's a personal thing, but I never liked the C5, and I really didn't like C5 Z06. I know they turn in some decent performance numbers, but I never could warm up to the bodystyle. The C6 is the car that rekindled my interest in Corvettes.
Polar_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #67
vetteshop
Supporting Vendor
St. Jude Donor '13

I worked at Chevy dealers from 1983-2005 specializing in Vettes.Nothing came close to the 84
vetteshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:30 PM   #68
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm going with 1976 - The wood grain siding was miserable.

Click the image to open in full size.
BuckyThreadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:39 PM   #69
Scream And Fly
CF Senior Member

People can laugh and argue about how "bad" the '84 Corvette was, even though it remains to this day one of the best-handling factory cars ever produced and in many cases will out-corner a C5.
Scream And Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:42 PM   #70
Petew1971
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Kit
Petew1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:13 AM   #71
Aggravated4life
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In II Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream And Fly View Post
People can laugh and argue about how "bad" the '84 Corvette was, even though it remains to this day one of the best-handling factory cars ever produced and in many cases will out-corner a C5.
Aggravated4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:48 AM   #72
Zymurgy
Support Corvetteforum!

1983 because there really weren't any:

A total of 43 - 1983 model Corvettes were built, but there were so many quality problems with them it was decided to halt production until they could be corrected. By the time the problems were corrected, it was so late into the model year that the car was brought out as a 1984 model which was run for a year and a half. The 1983's were never sold to the public and the only one that is known to still exist is in the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY
Zymurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:52 AM   #73
Resolute
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post
Everyone wishes the 1968 Corvette was a great car, but it was a disastor.
"Are you guys holm skooled"?
Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:02 AM   #74
Aggravated4life
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In II Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgy View Post
1983 because there really weren't any:

A total of 43 - 1983 model Corvettes were built, but there were so many quality problems with them it was decided to halt production until they could be corrected. By the time the problems were corrected, it was so late into the model year that the car was brought out as a 1984 model which was run for a year and a half. The 1983's were never sold to the public and the only one that is known to still exist is in the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY
I never heard that story...(sounds very plausible too)the story I read was when they were building the 83 Vette,and production was behind(probably your story is true)the 83 models met all the EPA/CAFE/Crash/Gubbermint standards for 1984 they decided to release the car a little later as 84 models instead.

I never read or heard that the quality control problems alone extended the 83 into an 84 model year but it does make alot of sense.Would not surprise me one bit.

Aggravated4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:04 AM   #75
Z51JEFF
CF Senior Member

Location: Fremont Ca. I will do No business with ANY company that boycotts Arizona.
Send a message via AIM to Z51JEFF

Quote:
How bout one with an engine that turned the world on it's head, and broke just about every record there was to break, and pretty much still holds them 20 years later for a true production vehicle.

Click the image to open in full size.
This is a great picture.Anybody got the pictures of the C1-C2-C3-C5-C6 endurance record holders?.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:14 AM   #76
JustinStrife
CF Senior Member

Justinstrife justinstrife unholy z06
Send a message via AIM to JustinStrife Send a message via MSN to JustinStrife Send a message via Yahoo to JustinStrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueDoug View Post
"Potentially falling apart"??? Link??

For what it's worth, the '97 to '01's were prone to piston slap, and I have read nothing that indicates the condition is a durability issue. I did not have piston slap on my first '99, '01, or do I on my current '99... From what I have read, it is an annoyance that goes away in a minute or so...
My 2000 doesn't have it, but my 2001 does. Very annoying for the first couple of minutes then it goes away. 39k and the motor is still going strong(just check the oil every so often...)
JustinStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:25 AM   #77
onedef92
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

1968 C3.

Karl E. Ludvigsen, author of "Corvette: America's Star-Spangled Sports Car:The Complete History" said the cars had so many production quality control issues, the editors of Motor Trend magazine dubbed the car unsuitable for testing.

Last edited by onedef92; 10-16-2009 at 07:32 AM.
onedef92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:31 AM   #78
onedef92
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggravated4life View Post
I never heard that story...(sounds very plausible too)the story I read was when they were building the 83 Vette,and production was behind(probably your story is true)the 83 models met all the EPA/CAFE/Crash/Gubbermint standards for 1984 they decided to release the car a little later as 84 models instead.

I never read or heard that the quality control problems alone extended the 83 into an 84 model year but it does make alot of sense.Would not surprise me one bit.

I heard the C4's introduction was delayed due to anticipated government-mandated passenger side airbags for all production 1984 U.S. vehicles and 11-th hour problems with the digi-dash's legibility in direct sunlight and cold temp conditions.

Of course, such federal legislation was never passed, but the controversial "breadbox" on the C4 remained until the re-skinned interior in 1990.

At the NCM, there's an analog gauge cluster that was engineered as a back-up, but never put into production.
onedef92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:44 AM   #79
CorvetteMike2004
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Vettes

All year vette's are good. At the time of their particular build, they were cutting edge cars. Ive never had many problems over the years with all the vette's I have had.

JMO..............I think who the "owner" of a particular vette means more than how chevrolet built it. If you are a RUB, you will probably have problems with any vette you buy.

I bought a 89 C4 new in January of 89. 240K and runs and looks good. I aint no RUB either. Flame on bashers.

I have heard some people here in OT dont even own a vette
They are probably the biggest bashers.

Im a biker. Bikers dont play these games like which year is worst. All year harleys are good. Bikers compliment each others bike. I even wave to the guys on the foriegn bikes. We are all 2 wheel brothers.

Complimenting someone else's vette is something I dont see much here.

Corvette Mike
CorvetteMike2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:25 AM   #80
joeking
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

According to most people the 1968 C3 would be the worst year produced however I believe all Corvettes are nice cars. The 74-82 models would probably be the ones I would hesitate to buy due to high production numbers and low engine horsepower and no chrome bumpers. I like the 68-73 models and I really enjoyed driving my 69 Corvette with a 350/350 engine and a four speed with the convertible top.
joeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:25 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page Worst year factory Vette ever?

Tags
1969, 1984, 1985, bad, buy, c3, c5, corvette, corvettes, made, performance, th700, transmission, worst, year, years