Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-05-2007, 12:15 AM   #1
SteveR.
CF Senior Member
 
SteveR.'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2001
Location: Norman OK
Send a message via ICQ to SteveR.
Default Graphite lubricant in car's ignition cylinder?

Is it OK to use graphite lubricant in a car's ignition cylinder? This is on my wife's '06 Vue. The key is a little stiff in the ignition cylinder. I know some of these have electronics inside, and it wouldn't be good to get graphite on the electronics. This key doesn't have a chip (that I can see, no contacts, etc.). So is it normal to lube a car's ignition cylinder with graphite? Am I going to cause more problems than I solve?
SteveR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:18 AM   #2
jabez
CF Senior Member

 
jabez's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2004
Location: Milpitas ca
Send a message via ICQ to jabez Send a message via AIM to jabez
Default

Do both keys stick?
jabez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:19 AM   #3
SteveR.
CF Senior Member
 
SteveR.'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2001
Location: Norman OK
Send a message via ICQ to SteveR.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabez View Post
Do both keys stick?
All keys are "rough" going into the cylinder. I don't believe it is a worn key.
SteveR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:21 AM   #4
e3pres
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

 
e3pres's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2000
Location: Chattanooga TN
Send a message via AIM to e3pres
Default

I've used it on a couple of old cars (i.e. 60's-70's) with no problems. I would think that as long as is doesn't have VATS or something similar that it would be okay.
e3pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:25 AM   #5
vetteweiser
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'13- '14
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!
 
vetteweiser's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2002
Location: Punta Gorda, FL

@GeneF77
Default

06, should be under warranty. I wouldnt put any graphite in it I'd just bring it back to the dealer. Or Costco...
vetteweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:28 AM   #6
Demonic85
CF Senior Member

 
Demonic85's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: sw Ohio
Default

My key does that sometimes on my '07 Focus, I just give it a little wiggle and it pops right out. I think its just cause its newish.
Demonic85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:59 AM   #7
indy99
CF Senior Member
 
indy99's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2005
Location: the land of a never ending frame-off resto-mod. May Visa have mercy on my soul.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Ever21 View Post
My key does that sometimes on my '07 Focus, I just give it a little wiggle and it pops right out. I think its just cause its newish.

Just so you know.....the Focus is notorious for ignition key problems, it requires an ignition key cylinder switch replacement. Newish is not the problem. Get it repaired now before you get stranded. I KNOW.
indy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:01 AM   #8
ZippoMan
CF Senior Member
 
ZippoMan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Orange County, CA
Default

pure graphite spray is fine for keys, don't use WD40 though.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:04 AM   #9
Joe0121
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '06
 
Joe0121's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Mount Vernon OH
Send a message via AIM to Joe0121 Send a message via MSN to Joe0121 Send a message via Yahoo to Joe0121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy99 View Post
Just so you know.....the Focus is notorious for ignition key problems, it requires an ignition key cylinder switch replacement. Newish is not the problem. Get it repaired now before you get stranded. I KNOW.
At my old job we had an old Ford van and the key would stick all the time. The SSgt in the Ops section was the only one who new how to get the darn thing out, so it would stick and I'd park it at the shop and walk by his office and say "Damn key is stuck again" Next day the Key would magically be out of the ignition and all would be well.
Joe0121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:52 AM   #10
bowtiebandit
CF Senior Member
 
bowtiebandit's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2003
Location: Columbia MD
Send a message via AIM to bowtiebandit
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR. View Post
Is it OK to use graphite lubricant in a car's ignition cylinder? This is on my wife's '06 Vue. The key is a little stiff in the ignition cylinder. I know some of these have electronics inside, and it wouldn't be good to get graphite on the electronics. This key doesn't have a chip (that I can see, no contacts, etc.). So is it normal to lube a car's ignition cylinder with graphite? Am I going to cause more problems than I solve?
It's a known issue with this body style, there is a TSB on it for the Equinox so I imagine it would cross over also. Your supposed to pull the cylinder and lubricate the housing if memory serves, can't remember my password to Dealerworld or I'd post it for ya.
bowtiebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:14 AM   #11
repo
CF Senior Member
St Jude Donor '14
 
repo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2001
Default

Short term fix. Don't do it.
repo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #12
CGGorman
CF Senior Member
 
CGGorman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2004
Location: Smile, it's just the internet.
Default

Did you try deburring the keys on a wire wheel? Round over the sharp edges a hair and they should slide in easier...
CGGorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #13
rws.1
CF Senior Member
 
rws.1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: East Lansing MI
Default

yes it can be used...
rws.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:05 PM   #14
SteveR.
CF Senior Member
 
SteveR.'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2001
Location: Norman OK
Send a message via ICQ to SteveR.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by repo View Post
Short term fix. Don't do it.
Seems that way to me too, but I've used dry graphite lube on door locks and it seemed to last years.

I may try minor key deburring, don't want to wear the key out though.

Is the cylinder lube used in the TSB just a standard dry graphite lube?

How difficult is it to remove a key cylinder?
SteveR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #15
Chicago
CF Senior Member
 
Chicago's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: D.G. IL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteweiser View Post
06, should be under warranty. I wouldnt put any graphite in it I'd just bring it back to the dealer. Or Costco...
Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #16
Entropy
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
 
Entropy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2005
Location: central America
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR. View Post
Seems that way to me too, but I've used dry graphite lube on door locks and it seemed to last years.

I may try minor key deburring, don't want to wear the key out though.

Is the cylinder lube used in the TSB just a standard dry graphite lube?

How difficult is it to remove a key cylinder?
Many vehicles today use magnetic recognition, and the graphite might screw that up.

It's under warranty take it in.

Pulling a key cylinder used to be easy, but as a theft deterrent it's much more complicated these days.

It's under warranty take it in.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:12 PM   #17
SteveR.
CF Senior Member
 
SteveR.'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2001
Location: Norman OK
Send a message via ICQ to SteveR.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 stingray owner View Post
Many vehicles today use magnetic recognition, and the graphite might screw that up.

It's under warranty take it in.

Pulling a key cylinder used to be easy, but as a theft deterrent it's much more complicated these days.

It's under warranty take it in.
3yr/36k mile warranty, ~37k on the car.
SteveR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:54 PM   #18
bowtiebandit
CF Senior Member
 
bowtiebandit's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2003
Location: Columbia MD
Send a message via AIM to bowtiebandit
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR. View Post
3yr/36k mile warranty, ~37k on the car.
Call the dealer and asl if they'd consider covering it. I know here 1k it wouldn't be an issue to cover it,especially with known problems.

PM me your email addy and I'll send you what I can TSB wise..probably wont be until tomorrow though. I'd try a new key first though.
As far as the grease..it's usually red and I have no clue whats in it.
bowtiebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:22 PM   #19
jfb
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Cincinnati, Oh USA
Default

Graphite won't hurt a magnetic strip, but if the key has a pellet like our Corvette keys do or if there is any kind of electronics in the key, I would not use graphite!!! Graphite is a good conductor of electricity. Call a dealer and ask if graphite can be used on the lock cylinder.
jfb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #20
SteveR.
CF Senior Member
 
SteveR.'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2001
Location: Norman OK
Send a message via ICQ to SteveR.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtiebandit View Post
Call the dealer and asl if they'd consider covering it. I know here 1k it wouldn't be an issue to cover it,especially with known problems.

PM me your email addy and I'll send you what I can TSB wise..probably wont be until tomorrow though. I'd try a new key first though.
As far as the grease..it's usually red and I have no clue whats in it.
Thanks, will do.
SteveR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:40 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page Graphite lubricant in car's ignition cylinder?
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
car, cylinder, graphite, hurt, ignition, ignitions, lock, lube, lubricant, lubricate, lubrication, remove, stiff, stuck, switch


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:15 PM.


Emails & Password Backup

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2