Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette Sponsored by
Bondurant School of HPD

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 07-07-2007, 11:25 PM   #1
ddecart
CF Senior Member
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Do Prescriptions Expire? Not the meds, the script.

Talking the letter of the law here and not normal everyday practice.

Suppose you're given a prescription for a certain medical condition, like muscle relaxants for back pain or something of the sort. You take a few of them and stash the bottle in the medicine cabinet. Supposing the meds stay good forever, is there a time after which your swcript expires? Is it technically illegal to take those same leftover meds weeks/months later when the same condition resurfaces? Do scripts expire?

Not talking about refills.

Last edited by ddecart; 07-08-2007 at 09:53 AM.
ddecart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:27 PM   #2
Wadoka
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

I've got an antibiotic prescription that expires one calendar year from the date it was issued. "No refills after 5/17/2008"
Wadoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #3
FresnoRog
CF Senior Member

Oops, I reread it. Umm no it's not illegal I don't believe.

Last edited by FresnoRog; 07-07-2007 at 11:33 PM.
FresnoRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:31 PM   #4
JimTN
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I've got an antibiotic prescription that expires one calendar year from the date it was issued. "No refills after 5/17/2008"
I don't think that's the question. What about the medicine in the bottle, if it's still good? Is it LEGAL to still take it 2 years later?

I think it depends on the particular medicine and the doctor.
JimTN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:31 PM   #5
CGGorman
CF Senior Member

My wife has two fresh scripts lying on the table from a doctor appointment she had yesterday. Both have all the microprint and watermark security features, and both say "void if more than one entry per blank" in fine print, but neither have any fine print indicating an expiration date on either front or back, hand written or otherwise.

YMMV...

OH!...I should've read the OP closer...nevermind...

Have no idea about that, but I've never seen a medication bottle that didn't list an expiration date. I always assumed that was "to ensure freshness and best flavor" and not legaleeze.

Last edited by CGGorman; 07-07-2007 at 11:34 PM.
CGGorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:35 PM   #6
barkingowl
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

You can buy muscle relaxants anywhere in Mexico Dave. Road trip?
barkingowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:37 PM   #7
tuktuk
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In 9 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

In CA and thru my mail order, the script is no good one year after it's written. Dunno if that's state or national. I'd imagine national, as I'd guess it's regulated by the FDA.

I could be wrong.

EDIT: Wait, RIF, maybe I misunderstood? I'm talking about for getting refills. As far as I know, there are no federal agents who will descend on your home if you take a pill more than a year after you bought it.
tuktuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:45 PM   #8
Just J
Molon Labe
Cruise-In Photographer
CI 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

I work in the prescription benefit management industry. While there are variations in state law, in general :

1) Prescriptions expire 1 year after they are written. "Expired" means they can't be filled, not that you can't take the drugs.
2) Drug expiration varies by drug, storage condition, processing, etc. In general, if you got a manufacturer's package, you can rely on the drug expiration date (not the prescription expiration date) on the package. If the drug was counted into a prescription bottle or otherwise removed from the manufacturer's container, there should be an expiration date on the prescription label. This date is likely to be conservative (i.e., the drug may well be "good" longer), but can occasionally represent an actual expiration date (depends on the systems and processes used to process the drug). In any event, I am not aware of any law against taking drug that has expired, but I don't recommend it. At a minimum, you run the risk of the drug being ineffective.
3) Controlled substance prescriptions, especially for "Class 2" drugs (what I like to call the fun drugs ) will, in most states, have added limitations and restrictions. Typically these includes a limit on the number of refills, a limit on the length of time the prescription covers, and limits on how long you can wait to fill them.
Just J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:46 PM   #9
Muffin
CF Senior Member

I wager one year.
Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:49 PM   #10
Jay13
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '06 & '09 & '11

Location: . [Rotorhead] "You seem to be a douche. What I'm getting at is just STFU" [/Rotorhead]

To answer your question, I am not aware of anything that makes a scipt in your hand expire. The expiration dates are, I believe, to make sure that you are taking fresh medicine and seeking the advice of your physician periodically. But I am not aware of any law that says you can't slam that 4 year old percodan in your medicine cabinet -- its your property.

The "Refill x times before xx/yy/zzzz" is different and usually just drives me to get the refill even if I don't need it at the time.
Jay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:51 PM   #11
ddecart
CF Senior Member
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just J View Post
3) Controlled substance prescriptions, especially for "Class 2" drugs (what I like to call the fun drugs ) will, in most states, have added limitations and restrictions. Typically these includes a limit on the number of refills, a limit on the length of time the prescription covers, and limits on how long you can wait to fill them.
That's kind of what I'm wondering. One of those controlled substance sorts of drugs. While the black helicopters probably have better things to do, would there technically be a violation of law if a certain drug were taken some period of time after the initial script was dispensed, even if it was for the same recurrent medical condition?
Old 07-07-2007, 11:54 PM   #12
tuktuk
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In 9 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddecart View Post
That's kind of what I'm wondering. One of those controlled substance sorts of drugs. While the black helicopters probably have better things to do, would there technically be a violation of law if a certain drug were taken some period of time after the initial script was dispensed, even if it was for the same recurrent medical condition?
the pharmacy just wouldn't fill it, if you tried to get a refill and the script was out of date. i've done it many times accidentally. and even on triple-script sort of regulated meds.

nobody has ever come to get me in a black helicopter. rhinestone studded hot pink copter, sure, but never black. that's so boring.
tuktuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:55 PM   #13
ddecart
CF Senior Member
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuktuk View Post
the pharmacy just wouldn't fill it, if you tried to get a refill and the script was out of date. i've done it many times accidentally. and even on triple-script sort of regulated meds.

nobody has ever come to get me in a black helicopter. rhinestone studded hot pink copter, sure, but never black. that's so boring.
Not a refill, leftovers from a previous dispensing.

And for you on the fancy copter
Old 07-08-2007, 12:07 AM   #14
Just J
Molon Labe
Cruise-In Photographer
CI 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddecart View Post
IANAL, but no, I don't believe it is illegal to take a drug prescribed for you, no matter when you take it.

Prescription expirations, as mentioned above, apply only to the filling of the prescription. Drug expirations are advisory and intended to ensure the drug will be effective and safe, but once the drug is in your hands neither drug nor prescription expirations limit when you can take the drugs.

Of course, there are other legal restrictions that impact prescription drug use at any time (must be prescribed for you; must not overdose in an attempt to commit suicide, must not drive while under the influence of a drug that might impair your ability, etc.)
Just J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:13 AM   #15
tszpara
CF Senior Member

Although the laws may vary in some states most have the same guidelines.

Prescriptions are good for one year.
I don't care if you have 1 or 100 refills left on it. 1 year and it's expired.

Controlled substances are good for 6 months. So you might get a prescription for 30 days worth of valium with 5 refills.

Some controlled substances cannot be refilled and are only good for one fill.

You do need to keep it in the original container. So putting your valium in the prozac bottle or a ziploc baggie is a no no even if you have a valid prescription.
tszpara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:58 AM   #16
87 Shark
CF Senior Member

Varies by state and what schedule drug it is, but in most cases, if you were written a prescription with 1 refill, and didn't use the refill within 6 months after the initial prescription was filled, the pharmacy cannot give you a refill, even though you have 1 unused one because the 6 months have passed.

You must also fill the prescription within 30 days of it being written in most states.

The pharmacy can call your Dr. and have them authorize another prescription for the same med, but your Dr. may want to see you first, depending on what the med is for, especially for the "happy" drugs like Opiates or anti-anxiety/muscle relaxants.

Schedule 2 drugs cannot be written to have refills in any state as far as I know, nor can they be "called in" but that's a different subject.
87 Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:02 AM   #17
MARK'S_C5TT
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to MARK'S_C5TT

for controlled substances, (AAS, Narcotics, etc) they most certainly do
MARK'S_C5TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:02 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page Do Prescriptions Expire? Not the meds, the script.

Tags
c2, california, canada, drug, expiration, expire, long, medical, prescription, prescriptions, refill, refills, scripts, tn, veterinary