Northern California Northern California

CARB survey letter - required response?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 04:01 PM
SilverC1
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default CARB survey letter - required response?

I just got a letter from CARB (California Air Resources Board), asking me (or maybe telling me) to respond to a survey that was being sent to "randomly selected" owners of 1978 model year or older cars. (Mine is a '59).

The survey is supposedly about "activities of 1978 and older vehicles", and the results of the survey will be used to "update models that inform air quality programs"....

Whatever that means. I am guessing that the models they are updating are computer models of vehicle emissions....

The letter says that there are 7 short questions related to vehicle usage, and 2 optional open-ended questions. The letter doesn't say what happens if I just don't respond. If I DO respond, they will know who the response comes from, as I will have to enter a code assigned to me and my vehicle. They also say, "Please respond within 60 days of receiving this letter."

At the end, they say that if I have any questions as to my "rights" as a research participant, they provided the name and phone number of some individual at CARB.

Has anyone else here gotten this letter? Do you plan on responding? I don't necessarily trust the intentions of the survey....
The following users liked this post:
spireland (07-31-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 09:52 PM
lilcuda
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 173 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

They are trying to figure out how to eliminate all gas cars, in my opinion. They care nothing about the old car hobby. I would ignore it.
Old 07-29-2023, 10:19 PM
Ratboy
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

I haven't received it (yet), but I have a '76 Cadillac, which doesn't get the emissions exemption. I'm hoping as the years go by they'll shift the exemption to later models based on low usage/impact. I imagine the testing equipment and expertise is becoming a challenge on these old beasts, so maybe they're trying to gauge it. Tell them you only take it out on your birthday! If I do get the letter, I'll probably reply, but it sure would be nice to know what they plan to do with the data.Seems like everything CARB does is in a vacuum.
Old 07-30-2023, 06:10 PM
SilverC1
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I went ahead and answered the survey. They basically wanted to know:
- what county is the car mostly used in
- approximate odometer reading
- approximate miles put on in a year
- how frequently driven (the multiple choices went down from daily, weekly, to once a month, to a few times a year).

The two somewhat surprising questions were:
- where the car is kept - enclosed garage, car port, out in the open, etc.
- what is done with the gas tank if the car isn't going to be used in a while, with multiple choices from "nothing", to draining the gas tank, and various choices involving adding fuel stabilizer.

My guess is that they might be looking into fuel evaporation effects from little-used cars.

I drive my car once a month or so, and don't do anything special regarding gas, other than add a valve-seat lubricant (an ounce or so every tankful) as a lead substitute.

I think I get some degree of fuel evaporation from the carbs, in between uses.

What CARB plans to do with this info is unclear, but it probably won't be helpful to old car owners....
spireland (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 06:47 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverC1
I went ahead and answered the survey. They basically wanted to know:
- what county is the car mostly used in
- approximate odometer reading
- approximate miles put on in a year
- how frequently driven (the multiple choices went down from daily, weekly, to once a month, to a few times a year).

The two somewhat surprising questions were:
- where the car is kept - enclosed garage, car port, out in the open, etc.
- what is done with the gas tank if the car isn't going to be used in a while, with multiple choices from "nothing", to draining the gas tank, and various choices involving adding fuel stabilizer.

My guess is that they might be looking into fuel evaporation effects from little-used cars.

I drive my car once a month or so, and don't do anything special regarding gas, other than add a valve-seat lubricant (an ounce or so every tankful) as a lead substitute.

I think I get some degree of fuel evaporation from the carbs, in between uses.

What CARB plans to do with this info is unclear, but it probably won't be helpful to old car owners....
Interesting.

It's nice to hear CARB may actually understand that a lot of cars that are owned by enthusiasts aren't actually driven that often and have little impact on emissions.

The adversarial relationship most people have towards this type of activity is going to hurt enthusiast in the long run. Not talking, not communicating, will get hobby owned vehicles lumped in with gross polluters and just banned. That's so far from what most of us actually want though that's what seems to be happening with the black and white attitude most are taking now.
The following 5 users liked this post by spireland:
Bayshore Vette (08-22-2023), Desert Nomad (08-12-2023), DWillys (08-08-2023), GotCorvette? (10-03-2023), LS WON (10-06-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 05:59 PM
Desert Nomad
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Well, I'm glad I found this thread concerning the letter from CARB which I received about two weeks ago. At first I was suspicious as it came from Sacramento and it targeted older cars. I searched CARB's web site and could not find any reference to this subject. I took it to my monthly Corvette Club meeting today in hope of getting input from others. None of the others had received a letter like this but most have later year models, only a few have older cars but they hadn't received any letter. General consensus among club members was to not answer it. Most agreed, they didn't trust the intentions of the survey. That said, I may answer it because if you don't state your case for older cars, you have no excuse later when California finally wants to crush them all. I kind of agree with what "spireland" said above.
The following 2 users liked this post by Desert Nomad:
Bayshore Vette (08-22-2023), GotCorvette? (10-03-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 09:26 PM
Nosferatu333
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Toss it in the garbage. Not required.
Navy Blue 210 (08-17-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 12:26 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

What people don't quite get is the auto enthusiast are extremely passionate about the hobby,a lot of car enthusiasts vote/can vote. Get a few hundred thousand irate car enthusiasts pissed off and Sacramento just might back off. If there was a lawmaker in Sacramento that was a friend to the car enthusiasts that person would pretty much have it made. It's only a matter of time before Sacramento comes for our cars.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:49 PM
lilcuda
Burning Brakes

There is recent news on this front. California claims they aren't looking to restrict classic cars, but given their stance on anything gas powered (even stoves), I don't trust what they say. I need to figure out which state to make my exit to.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...ge/ar-AA1hpEMf
LS WON (10-06-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 12:15 AM
Waterline
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Trying to outlaw pre 1978 cars

I saw on the news today, 10-5-23, that CA is trying to outlaw cars from 1978 and older. That idiot Newsom wants them all off the road. Part of saving the world I guess.
Old 10-06-2023, 02:18 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by lilcuda
There is recent news on this front. California claims they aren't looking to restrict classic cars, but given their stance on anything gas powered (even stoves), I don't trust what they say. I need to figure out which state to make my exit to.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...ge/ar-AA1hpEMf

Landscapers and gardeners will be prohitited to using gas powered blowers. Commiefornicate wants to ban the sale of all gasoline vehicles by 2035 or is it 2030? Seems to change but all I know is that they want to get us all into electric vehicles as well as push those driver less automonous vehicles. Sounds like they want more CONTROL over us with an infrastructure that will not support these EV's.
Old 10-06-2023, 02:45 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by LS WON

Commiefornicate wants to ban the sale of all gasoline vehicles by 2035 or is it 2030
That's new ICE vehicles. As stated people are extremely passionate about our cars,hopefully if they do come after them this will ignite a massive voter drive and let Sacramento it's not gonna happen. I honestly think this is the reason Sacramento hasn't tried it yet on a full scale effort. I suggest people join The SEMA Action Network to stay up to date on the issue. One positive in all this,the aftermarket is a multi billion dollar industry that stands to lose a lot if the hobby goes away. My only passion really are my cars,I'll move out of this **** hole before I give up my cars.

The following 2 users liked this post by Z51JEFF:
LS WON (10-06-2023), Waterline (10-06-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 07:02 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
That's new ICE vehicles. As stated people are extremely passionate about our cars,hopefully if they do come after them this will ignite a massive voter drive and let Sacramento it's not gonna happen. I honestly think this is the reason Sacramento hasn't tried it yet on a full scale effort. I suggest people join The SEMA Action Network to stay up to date on the issue. One positive in all this,the aftermarket is a multi billion dollar industry that stands to lose a lot if the hobby goes away. My only passion really are my cars,I'll move out of this **** hole before I give up my cars.

I am not far from you been wanting to leave Commiefornicate for decades now. It will happen very soon.
Old 10-06-2023, 07:05 PM
lilcuda
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LS WON
I am not far from you been wanting to leave Commiefornicate for decades now. It will happen very soon.
The big question is where to escape to?
Old 10-06-2023, 07:11 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lilcuda
The big question is where to escape to?
You can Private message me on that one. We have been very patient on this one. It all comes down to your personal likes, dislikes, costs and lifestyle.
I am born and raised here so I have seen the changes go from great to horrid.
Old 10-06-2023, 07:41 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,149 Likes on 737 Posts

CA is doing a number on the trucking industry. They are also looking to do a ZERO emissions train engine system . No diesel engines to hall freight trains.

These people are insane. The sad part is they are importing people to replace the working voters and use welfare + illegal immigrant voters. The saddest part , is other states are following in their insanity.
The following 2 users liked this post by BLUE1972:
LS WON (10-06-2023), Navy Blue 210 (10-07-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 08:55 PM
drive it
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 97 Posts

CA killed AB220 in 2021-that would have changed the smog check exemption from 1975 to 1983. The Guvenator is the idiot that stopped the rolling exemption at 1975. So I don't trust those fools one bit. I would throw it in the trash.
LS WON (10-06-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To CARB survey letter - required response?

Old 10-06-2023, 10:57 PM
Waterline
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Smog

I live in CA and has changed for the worst in the last 50 or so years. I live in Sonoma county, but own 2 houses in Lake County as well. I register all my vehicles in Lake County. No smog checks, lower taxes and much cheaper insurance cost on houses and vehicles.
LS WON (10-06-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 11:22 PM
lilcuda
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Waterline
I live in CA and has changed for the worst in the last 50 or so years. I live in Sonoma county, but own 2 houses in Lake County as well. I register all my vehicles in Lake County. No smog checks, lower taxes and much cheaper insurance cost on houses and vehicles.
Until CARB changes the laws. Eventually, when they see that many of us are not drinking the electric car kool aid, they will tighten restrictions and previously smog exempt areas will have to get smogs. Either that or they will make gas be $20 a gallon.
LS WON (10-06-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 01:28 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

People bitchin an moanin about the bullshit in California but the sheople have the power to change it.

Quick Reply: CARB survey letter - required response?