Northern California Northern California

Recommendations for ceramic coating place in the bay area?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 01:15 PM
hades1
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Recommendations for ceramic coating place in the bay area?

Hey, thinking of doing ceramic coating on my black c5z. Any recommendations for a good place to get it done (preferably in the North bay, but willing to travel for the right place)?
Also, to anyone that has done ceramic coating: happy with the results and how much did it cost?
Old 10-10-2019, 02:10 PM
FRChilln
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Jeff @ Immaculate Reflections in Brentwood
The following users liked this post:
GoFast908Z (12-16-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 03:34 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

When I had my shop, I was headed away from sealants and going exclusively ceramic. On my test car that I did 4 years ago it still looks stunning, and anything on it just wipes right off. Ceramic is the only way to go. I always tell tell the story of going through an obscure part of the San Joaquin Valley in early March. The insects were incredibly heavy and the car got covered, the windshield was so bad it was almost translucent. I was actually pretty disappointed as I didn't feel anything should stick, but they were so heavy, it was dead bugs, piled on top of dead bugs. Pulled into a gas station, and decided to see if the bugs would wipe off. Took a littler water, sprayed the hood, and the bugs wiped right off and the hood was pristeen. The guy pumping gas next to, made a mess in his pants, he was so amazed. Got home, washed and it looked just like I had just did the ceramic and never went through bug country.
I was charging anywhere from $600+ based on paint correction for a 2 year warranty(Feynlab Heal Lite), up to $5000 for a lifetime warranty(Ceramic Pro). On a non daily driver I would go with a two year warranty type, since it is not subject to the conditions a daily driver is.
As an FYI I tested roughly 25 products and settled in on Feynlabs as my go to product, it brings out what the paint mfr is trying to do, way more than the other ceramics, plus the Heal Lite hides swirls and fine scratches constantly, no other ceramic will do that, Ceramic Pro(nice shine, great warranty) car must be paint corrected, and Kamkaze Miyabe and ISM, it had a better shine than Ceramic Pro, but not as much durability as the other 2, but it was lower in price. If you want to call me a ceramic nerd/geek, I was and proud of it
Of the others, they just did not meet my shop's standards, but your experience may vary.
Also while I am on the subject a ceramic coated car needs to be washed with a car wash specifically for ceramics. Those washes contain a very, very minor acid that keep the coating pristeen and a couple even add a very, very thin refresh coating. I know the 55 gallon drums of Meguiar's at Costco is cheap but Not a big deal, just a different set of products to use.
Jeff @ Immaculate Reflections is awesome. As a fellow detailer his work is next to no one else and respected.
The following 2 users liked this post by Grzldvt1:
GoFast908Z (12-16-2019), LS WON (10-11-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 05:21 PM
hades1
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks so much for the info

"I was charging anywhere from $600+ based on paint correction for a 2 year warranty(Feynlab Heal Lite)" <== that's a great price.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:23 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

Apollo Restoration in Walnut Creek, CA
Lambo's, Porsche, Tesla's, etc. He's not cheap though...
Old 10-10-2019, 11:20 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hades1
Thanks so much for the info

"I was charging anywhere from $600+ based on paint correction for a 2 year warranty(Feynlab Heal Lite)" <== that's a great price.
The beauty of using Feynlabs Heal Lite is paint correction can be very minor, as it fills in the swirls, by letting it sit in the sun. That warranty was mine, not Feynlabs, unlike Ceramic Pro which backs the product and installation, henceforth more expensive. I was getting $300-$500 on a full(interior and exterior)Zaino detail that I would guarantee for a year, for a little more I could add a year, and give any competition a run for their money, plus deliver a car that was stunning versus nice. I also had a Norcal exclusive on Feynlab products. Even the Ceramic Lite product is outstanding and available to the public for the DIY. I was about to use it and get back into the $300-$500 price and give a better value to the customers. But sold the shop instead.
hades1 (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 05:49 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
When I had my shop, I was headed away from sealants and going exclusively ceramic. On my test car that I did 4 years ago it still looks stunning, and anything on it just wipes right off. Ceramic is the only way to go. I always tell tell the story of going through an obscure part of the San Joaquin Valley in early March. The insects were incredibly heavy and the car got covered, the windshield was so bad it was almost translucent. I was actually pretty disappointed as I didn't feel anything should stick, but they were so heavy, it was dead bugs, piled on top of dead bugs. Pulled into a gas station, and decided to see if the bugs would wipe off. Took a littler water, sprayed the hood, and the bugs wiped right off and the hood was pristeen. The guy pumping gas next to, made a mess in his pants, he was so amazed. Got home, washed and it looked just like I had just did the ceramic and never went through bug country.
I was charging anywhere from $600+ based on paint correction for a 2 year warranty(Feynlab Heal Lite), up to $5000 for a lifetime warranty(Ceramic Pro). On a non daily driver I would go with a two year warranty type, since it is not subject to the conditions a daily driver is.
As an FYI I tested roughly 25 products and settled in on Feynlabs as my go to product, it brings out what the paint mfr is trying to do, way more than the other ceramics, plus the Heal Lite hides swirls and fine scratches constantly, no other ceramic will do that, Ceramic Pro(nice shine, great warranty) car must be paint corrected, and Kamkaze Miyabe and ISM, it had a better shine than Ceramic Pro, but not as much durability as the other 2, but it was lower in price. If you want to call me a ceramic nerd/geek, I was and proud of it
Of the others, they just did not meet my shop's standards, but your experience may vary.
Also while I am on the subject a ceramic coated car needs to be washed with a car wash specifically for ceramics. Those washes contain a very, very minor acid that keep the coating pristeen and a couple even add a very, very thin refresh coating. I know the 55 gallon drums of Meguiar's at Costco is cheap but Not a big deal, just a different set of products to use.
Jeff @ Immaculate Reflections is awesome. As a fellow detailer his work is next to no one else and respected.
This is something that you can't do it yourself? You must have a shop do the Ceramic coating?
Old 10-12-2019, 04:31 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LS WON
This is something that you can't do it yourself? You must have a shop do the Ceramic coating?
No you can do it yourself, these are two very easy coatings, Feynlabs Ceramic Lite
or Kamikaze Miyabe and ISM
LS WON (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 01:53 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

No you can do it yourself, these are two very easy coatings, Feynlabs Ceramic Lite
or Kamikaze Miyabe and ISM
Thanks Steve. This ceramic coating costs less than Zaino after having to use all the different Zaino product numbers and extra extra labor after those repeated Zaino coatings?
Old 10-12-2019, 05:15 PM
hubris140
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I recently discovered Ceramic pro opened their own shop in Walnut Creek: instagram.com/ceramicpro_contracosta

I haven't used them yet but plan to in the coming months.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:09 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Thanks Steve. This ceramic coating costs less than Zaino after having to use all the different Zaino product numbers and extra extra labor after those repeated Zaino coatings?
Yes it does. As much as I hate to say it but it might be time to move on from Zaino.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:18 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hubris140
I recently discovered Ceramic pro opened their own shop in Walnut Creek: instagram.com/ceramicpro_contracosta

I haven't used them yet but plan to in the coming months.
So Ceramic Pro did not open a shop, an established shop is using Ceramic Pro. Ceramic Pro has a 5 mile wide radius as an exclusive territory, which is ridiculous. Literally flooding the market. I see about 6 shops in the general Walnut Creek area doing Ceramic Pro. Definitely an excellent product and their warranty is next to none, but you have quite a choice of shops to go to
Old 10-13-2019, 03:13 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Yes it does. As much as I hate to say it but it might be time to move on from Zaino.
If I should switch then do I need to remove all existing coats of the Zaino? If so with what? (What's the process?)
Or is it just better and easier to wait till the Zaino wears out then apply new ceramic coat?
Old 10-14-2019, 02:06 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

If I should switch then do I need to remove all existing coats of the Zaino? If so with what? (What's the process?)
Or is it just better and easier to wait till the Zaino wears out then apply new ceramic coat?
To remove Zaino get two bottles of Isopropyl Alcohol at your local drugstore and mix it with the same amount of water, use that mix to wash the car. The mix will remove the Zaino and prepares the surface for a Ceramic.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:17 PM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Received 687 Likes on 374 Posts

There are many consumer grade coatings you can get. They are more forgiving to use.

The pro grade stuff has a much smaller window of when you can buff it off after application and so on. But the pro grade stuff tends to last longer. Maybe you get 3+ years out of a pro grade coating and less than half that out of a “lite” version.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:50 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TheRobSJ
There are many consumer grade coatings you can get. They are more forgiving to use.

The pro grade stuff has a much smaller window of when you can buff it off after application and so on. But the pro grade stuff tends to last longer. Maybe you get 3+ years out of a pro grade coating and less than half that out of a “lite” version.
Well the application I would be doing is by hand. If it only lasts 1 year I can get that with the Zaino. By pro grade do you mean have a shop apply it and then ceramic will last 3 years+?
What is the typical life of ceramic coating with one application?
Old 10-16-2019, 01:07 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Well the application I would be doing is by hand. If it only lasts 1 year I can get that with the Zaino. By pro grade do you mean have a shop apply it and then ceramic will last 3 years+?
What is the typical life of ceramic coating with one application?
Order the Feynlabs Ceramic Lite it is meant for the DIY. I would also buy the equivalent of Z-8, the Spray Sealant. I am going on 3+ years with Feynlabs and it still looks as good as they day I put it on. It is meant for the DIY, One coat is all you need, the site claims 1+ year of durability and that is reasonable as they can't control what a DIY does to their car.

Also look at my answer in this post as to how I tested 25+ ceramic products at my shop - Ceramic Coating Testing

Last edited by Grzldvt1; 10-16-2019 at 01:17 AM.
LS WON (10-16-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Recommendations for ceramic coating place in the bay area?

Old 10-16-2019, 12:42 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Order the Feynlabs Ceramic Lite it is meant for the DIY. I would also buy the equivalent of Z-8, the Spray Sealant. I am going on 3+ years with Feynlabs and it still looks as good as they day I put it on. It is meant for the DIY, One coat is all you need, the site claims 1+ year of durability and that is reasonable as they can't control what a DIY does to their car.

Also look at my answer in this post as to how I tested 25+ ceramic products at my shop - Ceramic Coating Testing
As much $$$ I have spent on the Zaino over the years I probably should use up what I have left before trying out this new Feynlabs Ceramic Lite.
I know that Zaino is more labor intensive especially when you have a bad back and neck but in my mind (Body-OUCH!) I would feel better if the Zaino didn't go to waste.
I read the instructions for application and the instructions are very specific. Is it really necessary to claybar before applying Feynlabs and taping off the vehicle? What about the Feynlab wash instead of using alcohol? Is this safer or better in ANYWAY over the alcohol for the paint finish The alcohol would cost a lot less $$$$ than that wash.
A 120ml Bottle for $21.95, is this enough for one application that is suppose to last 1 year?
Old 10-16-2019, 11:19 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

As much $$$ I have spent on the Zaino over the years I probably should use up what I have left before trying out this new Feynlabs Ceramic Lite.
I know that Zaino is more labor intensive especially when you have a bad back and neck but in my mind (Body-OUCH!) I would feel better if the Zaino didn't go to waste.
I read the instructions for application and the instructions are very specific. Is it really necessary to claybar before applying Feynlabs and taping off the vehicle? What about the Feynlab wash instead of using alcohol? Is this safer or better in ANYWAY over the alcohol for the paint finish The alcohol would cost a lot less $$$$ than that wash.
A 120ml Bottle for $21.95, is this enough for one application that is suppose to last 1 year?
Agreed use the Zaino up first, then come back and discuss ceramics, it is a changing industry. Rubbing alcohol will not hurt your paint. it is not a harsh chemical at all You dot have to tape anything off.

Last edited by Grzldvt1; 10-16-2019 at 11:20 PM.
LS WON (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 10:58 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Agreed use the Zaino up first, then come back and discuss ceramics, it is a changing industry. Rubbing alcohol will not hurt your paint. it is not a harsh chemical at all You dot have to tape anything off.
Thanks again Steve, The Zaino has got to be too labor intensive for me as far as my back and neck condition. (Getting older) I want to go the route of EZ one time applications and or the longest lasting applications with less work if possible. I don't know if I'll claybar again even though I have had this Corvette for 15 years and it's been a Zaino car ever since I ordered it back in 2004. (2005 model). Time sure does fly considering I only clay bar this car once when It was new and drove it less but NOW it's my daily driver so it will get more usage and exposure to the elements.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for ceramic coating place in the bay area?