Northern California Northern California

Motorcycles? Please watch out for them.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 07:53 PM
mel3535
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Motorcycles? Please watch out for them.

I hope it's ok to post this here, but beside fast cars I love my bikes. Beside the track, I ride the back roads a lot and often I see other cars including Corvette's out there. Lot of us go out on a nice Saturday afternoon to ride or drive, be it suited up in your leather race suit on your sports bike,guy on a Harley, some young "kid" in his import or his corvette, we all share this road and if we watch out for each other we all benefit.

Anyways, I myself have been hurt really bad by someone who was going too fast and lost control and crossed the double yellow, I have lost a really good friend due to the same thing, and I often see cars crossing double yellow while riding all over the bay area, so I made this video to try to raise the awareness about staying in control of what you ride/drive and staying in your lane. Take 5 min. of your time to watch this and post it in your Facebook or whatever, my hope is that if we can raise the awareness about this, we can stop people from getting hurt.

Again, I hope it's ok to post this here, and thanks for your time!

Old 03-17-2014, 08:13 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I totally agree with you. I don't ride a bike, but often I take the back road from Montclair into Moraga if the Caldecott is congested. Pinehurst is the name of the road. I can't stand following a car that straddles the centerline. The one lane road is very narrow and 20-25 mph is pretty much it because of the sharp, blind curves. Most of the times these cars are not going fast. The drivers are lazy or stupid or just bad drivers. It takes just a little effort to stay on your side of the road. Most of these cars are not going fast, the drivers are just plain lazy. One car I followed was more on the opposing lane than his own all the way down this 5 mile stretch. I kept hoping there wouldn't be a bike, motorcycle or car coming the other way. God please save us from stupid people.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:23 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Yeah brother, bout 17 years ago I just about had my leg torn off by someone crossing a double yellow.
The side of my bike was pretty torn up but my leg healed up pretty good after about a year.. Been riding 40 years and this was the only mishap I had.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:47 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Ya I agree and the same goes for the two wheelers with their crazy passing in corners.

Bikes are much more maneuverable and many riders take advantage.

Stop high speed lane splitting and weaving in traffic and maybe more bikers will live another day.

Ya I too rode sport bikes back in the day and got crazy on them too.

Fortunately I survived to pass some wisdom on.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:48 AM
mickey_7106
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree. normally i try to give them as much room as possible cause some of those guys get way to close for my liking.

BTW there is no way in hell im gonna let a group of bikers stop me for any reason. specially after what happened to the family a while ago in NY or FL?

Originally Posted by Boomer111
...Stop high speed lane splitting and weaving in traffic and maybe more bikers will live another day...
Old 03-19-2014, 01:37 PM
DUMAN
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by mickey_7106
i agree. normally i try to give them as much room as possible cause some of those guys get way to close for my liking.

BTW there is no way in hell im gonna let a group of bikers stop me for any reason. specially after what happened to the family a while ago in NY or FL?

total respect for bikes but bicycles are a totally different story.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:23 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
I totally agree with you. I don't ride a bike, but often I take the back road from Montclair into Moraga if the Caldecott is congested. Pinehurst is the name of the road. I can't stand following a car that straddles the centerline. The one lane road is very narrow and 20-25 mph is pretty much it because of the sharp, blind curves. Most of the times these cars are not going fast. The drivers are lazy or stupid or just bad drivers. It takes just a little effort to stay on your side of the road. Most of these cars are not going fast, the drivers are just plain lazy. One car I followed was more on the opposing lane than his own all the way down this 5 mile stretch. I kept hoping there wouldn't be a bike, motorcycle or car coming the other way. God please save us from stupid people.
***** it's a good thing I've retired from back road riding my Yamaha RD400 I used to tear it up on Pinehurst going from CV to Moraga......right now there is a dual sport Suzuki sitting dead in my garage because I gave up on MC riding in. California. If the punks don't take you out, the unlicensed/uninsured " new citizen " is just around the corner
Old 03-22-2014, 11:56 AM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

I don't ride anymore because of the volume of traffic and crazy drivers. When I move out of the bay area I'll mount up again.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:27 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
***** it's a good thing I've retired from back road riding my Yamaha RD400 I used to tear it up on Pinehurst going from CV to Moraga......right now there is a dual sport Suzuki sitting dead in my garage because I gave up on MC riding in. California. If the punks don't take you out, the unlicensed/uninsured " new citizen " is just around the corner
It is a fun road for a good ride. My C6Z enjoys it. I stay in my lane though and hope the "idiot" isn't coming toward me in the opposite lane.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:21 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Agreed...and I applaud you for trying to make a difference...and I would have wanted to slap the hell out of that kid for driving like that (and having an idiot attitude when you were talking to him).

In reality, you're also up there obviously riding way too fast for the street. Somewhat hypocritical to be honest.

Even if you're staying in your lane, you're riding too fast to allow for errors (by you or others). For example, perhaps if you were going slower, you would have avoided that other biker you crashed into, just sayin'. That made me cringe to watch that, what an idiot that guy was and I'm glad you made it out alive. What happened to him?

Trust me, I know it's hard to impossible to go slow when I'm on a bike...I almost died a couple of times on the street and from there on out I just took it to the track. After 5 years solely dedicated at the track, I decided to hang up the leathers.

I decided that my expensive track hobby had to have a lower priority, and if I'm not going to pay to play at the track, then I had better just stop. Since then, two of my buddies also died at the track.

Motorcycling is a dangerous activity, increased 100 fold when you ride fast on the street. I also know a former AFM'er who after decades of riding fast up on the hill never had an incident. One of the better riders I've met. He too recently died on Hwy 9. It can obviously happen to anybody.

Best of luck out there and ride safely.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Agreed...and I applaud you for trying to make a difference...and I would have wanted to slap the hell out of that kid for driving like that (and having an idiot attitude when you were talking to him).

In reality, you're also up there obviously riding way too fast for the street. Somewhat hypocritical to be honest.

Even if you're staying in your lane, you're riding too fast to allow for errors (by you or others). For example, perhaps if you were going slower, you would have avoided that other biker you crashed into, just sayin'. That made me cringe to watch that, what an idiot that guy was and I'm glad you made it out alive. What happened to him?

Trust me, I know it's hard to impossible to go slow when I'm on a bike...I almost died a couple of times on the street and from there on out I just took it to the track. After 5 years solely dedicated at the track, I decided to hang up the leathers.

I decided that my expensive track hobby had to have a lower priority, and if I'm not going to pay to play at the track, then I had better just stop. Since then, two of my buddies also died at the track.

Motorcycling is a dangerous activity, increased 100 fold when you ride fast on the street. I also know a former AFM'er who after decades of riding fast up on the hill never had an incident. One of the better riders I've met. He too recently died on Hwy 9. It can obviously happen to anybody.

Best of luck out there and ride safely.

Well said. Bikes are dangerous, you take your chances when on them, and then there the other vehicles you half to worry about and someone crossing into your lane. Be safe. Peace.

Get notified of new replies

To Motorcycles? Please watch out for them.

Quick Reply: Motorcycles? Please watch out for them.