Big Turnout at Hooked on Driving @ Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:35 AM
California Don
Drivin' The Dream
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big Turnout at Hooked on Driving @ Thunderhill

If you missed the run to Maxwell and then to Thunderhill, you really missed a good time. 72 cars made the cruise! Oh, one little ole C7 decided to join us....
I really hate to say this, but, from a distance the rear of the C7 looks like a Camero....
Attached Images   
Old 10-25-2013, 04:25 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Default HOD at Thunderhill

This was a very fun event on the luncheon fun run on Wednesday and I really enjoyed my first track day yesterday. Got to finally solo by myself without my coach on my last session. Saw Steve and Richie and some of the other Northern California Forum guys at the track also. Wanted to give Richie a big Thank You for loaning my buddy Al a set of tires after Al developed a flat on his first session.
Keith
Old 10-25-2013, 04:44 PM
California Don
Drivin' The Dream
Support Corvetteforum!

I meant to post the map of the raceway. If you hot shot drivers think you are cool, just put your foot in it and fly up to #5 "The Cyclone" and make a 90 degree blind turn down hill. Wear Depends just in case.
Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2013, 11:51 AM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

The wife timed David Ray driving the C7 with a passenger for a few laps and the best she recorded was a 2:07. I know a few C6Z's owners that can't beat that.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Had a blast at the HoD NCM event! Nice hanging with a bunch of other Vette drivers and the weather was awesome! Here is some in car video of the first session of run group D

Old 10-28-2013, 12:53 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like another fun Corvette event at TH. Sorry to miss these but good to know there are new folks filling in the ranks.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Werks
Had a blast at the HoD NCM event! Nice hanging with a bunch of other Vette drivers and the weather was awesome! Here is some in car video of the first session of run group D

Nice in car video and great job of driving. Is that gear selector reading in the video accurate? Are you running the course primarily in 5th and 6th gears where it looks like you achieved max speed on the front straight just before turn 1 at around 145+ mph at around 6500 RPM or so in 6th gear?
Old 10-28-2013, 05:34 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Boat Racer
Nice in car video and great job of driving. Is that gear selector reading in the video accurate? Are you running the course primarily in 5th and 6th gears where it looks like you achieved max speed on the front straight just before turn 1 at around 145+ mph at around 6500 RPM or so in 6th gear?
I think it is off by 2 gears. I'm assuming that Ron's car was just like mine and I was 3rd and 4th gear only, with speeds down the straight a little over 140 MPH and about 6,500 RPM in 4th.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:18 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
I think it is off by 2 gears. I'm assuming that Ron's car was just like mine and I was 3rd and 4th gear only, with speeds down the straight a little over 140 MPH and about 6,500 RPM in 4th.
Okay, that makes more sense to me (unless Ron is running really low gearing). I was in 3rd and 4th also and couldn't figure out why Ron would have been in 5th and 6th.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:15 PM
Werks
Drifting

Originally Posted by Boat Racer
Thank you! In regards to the gear selector I have not calibrated the gear selector yet so it's reading 2 gears high, like Rich mentioned I'm in 3rd and 4th only. Here is a video from my second session of the day

Fastest lap of the day was the last lap in this video and I managed to get into the 1:56's. Looking over the video I think I'm still leaving an easy 3-4 seconds on the table but my tires were close to being heat cycled out and I'm rusty. The rest of the day I spent taking people for rides so nothing spectacular as far as lap times but hopefully I made a few peoples day

Rich, almost forgot! Thank you and your guys for rushing to get my car back together before the event. Everything that you guys do for all of us vette owners is really appreciated!

Last edited by Werks; 10-28-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:56 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Are you using a GoPro for your video? What setting(s) are you using? I can't seem to get good shots of the track, it seems to want to set exposures for the inside of the car, so the outside (track) is overexposed.

Any advice is appreciated...........

ps...great driving, those are some fast times
Old 10-30-2013, 01:20 AM
Werks
Drifting

Originally Posted by harrydirty
Are you using a GoPro for your video? What setting(s) are you using? I can't seem to get good shots of the track, it seems to want to set exposures for the inside of the car, so the outside (track) is overexposed.

Any advice is appreciated...........

ps...great driving, those are some fast times
Thanks! In regards to the video I'm using an Aim SmartyCAM. It actually has integrated GPS and track maps. So when I pull the video off of the camera it comes out just as you see on the video's above with track maps, speed etc. etc. already overlaid over the video (so no rendering or video editing needed).
Old 10-31-2013, 11:05 AM
PipeDr
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was there last week (Torch Red # 202) as well. Santa Clara Corvettes made a great showing. The drive from Maxwell was fun, the parade laps were very nice and Thursday was absolutely an awesome day. Fabulous weather, great race track conditions, no damage to my car and got race with my friends.
Regarding your Go Pro camera. I am using 1080-60 Setting. Seems to work very well for action sports. I have the camera mounted with a Suction Cup to the roof of the car. Very little vibration. Looks incredible on the big Screen TV.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:24 PM
ImaRoadDog
Instructor

That's funny. I just noticed in your first picture of the C7 Corvette that my wife is standing behind it (at least she is from the neck down). It was a fun day. We led the pack from Maxwell to Thunderhill and the view looking back at 71 cars was awesome.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:54 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by PipeDr
Regarding your Go Pro camera. I am using 1080-60 Setting. Seems to work very well for action sports. I have the camera mounted with a Suction Cup to the roof of the car. Very little vibration. Looks incredible on the big Screen TV.
Do you use your GoPro to capture track action in your vette? I assume the GoPro is trying to set exposure level by some center weighting method, so I'm wondering if the 1080-60 setting changes that. I assume my problem is that my GoPro is giving the car interior more priority in setting exposure, thus rendering the interior well, but overexposing the exterior/track portions. Any thoughts?
Old 11-01-2013, 12:49 PM
bigdog1250
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Werks, those are some great times! Well done. Can't wait to get my Z out to the track. Last time I was there I was piloting a different Z... 370z.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Werks
Drifting

Originally Posted by bigdog1250
Werks, those are some great times! Well done. Can't wait to get my Z out to the track. Last time I was there I was piloting a different Z... 370z.
Thanks! Once you get your new Z out on the track you are going to love it, they are a blast to drive!
Old 11-01-2013, 11:00 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by StArrow68
Sounds like another fun Corvette event at TH. Sorry to miss these but good to know there are new folks filling in the ranks.

Get notified of new replies

To Big Turnout at Hooked on Driving @ Thunderhill

Quick Reply: Big Turnout at Hooked on Driving @ Thunderhill