Northern California Northern California

C2 Historic Race car

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 10:16 AM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

As far as I know from racing our Spitfire back in the 70s, you had to use the orignial block, heads, etc. Probably could use factory racing parts if available.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 674 Posts

Have you had the opportunity to get behind the wheel yet? Putting out 438 horsepower with stock-type cast iron heads on a small displacement 327 is impressive. Should make for one helluva ride.
Mike T.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:24 PM
choivette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way to go old man, glad to see that u can really enjoy your retirement now. Any chance we might see this jewel at Tahoe? Keep us informed when u will be racing, would love to be there, would be even better if u and I could be on the track together, I would struggle to keep up with you but it would be fun
Old 05-19-2013, 05:13 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by choivette
Way to go old man, glad to see that u can really enjoy your retirement now. Any chance we might see this jewel at Tahoe? Keep us informed when u will be racing, would love to be there, would be even better if u and I could be on the track together, I would struggle to keep up with you but it would be fun
Won't be at Tahoe, but I will let you know when we plan on taking it out. May need that lucky rock of your's in my pocket. I have a feeling it is going to be a while before I come to grips with the handling and power of the car and with the tires you run in historics.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:18 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice find Larry! Enjoy it!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:34 PM
5angell
Instructor

Larry nice ride enjoy your NEW TOY have a lot track time enjoy
Old 05-20-2013, 11:24 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 5angell
Larry nice ride enjoy your NEW TOY have a lot track time enjoy

Thanks Tony,

Just got it up on stands and started looking at it. Already see that I need to pull the rear end and either put in one of the spares or fix the one that is in there. You know a lot of people around the Stockton area. I have a log book from 1974 and the driver is Gary Meek from Stockton. I am going to try and find the complete history of the car and there is a chance that someone raced it before Meek did.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:58 AM
vetteguy22
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Great pics of some nice cars. Thanks for passing them along.
Looks like fun Larry. Hope you get to enjoy out on the track soon.
Rob
Old 05-23-2013, 08:59 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,547 Likes on 3,011 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I've raced against your car when it was owned by the Gallants. It was always fast.

A bit of trivia: He was the driver; she was the engine builder.

Enjoy!

Jim
Old 05-26-2013, 11:19 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
I've raced against your car when it was owned by the Gallants. It was always fast.

A bit of trivia: He was the driver; she was the engine builder.

Enjoy!

Jim
Thanks Jim. I raced against Dan when he had a Spitfire like mine in GP. I am not sure if she was building the engines in those days. Anymore info on the car is always welcomed. I might be asking you a few questions about tires, gear ratio's, etc.

Larry
Old 05-26-2013, 11:36 PM
laurieb
Instructor

I'm kind of new to the forum and checking out the local threads. Your new toy looks like loads of fun. Congratulations on a cool historical find, and I hope you enjoy it thoroughly.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:55 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by folsomlarry
Thanks Jim. I raced against Dan when he had a Spitfire like mine in GP. I am not sure if she was building the engines in those days.
That pre-dates my awareness of them so I can't be of any help there.

Anymore info on the car is always welcomed. I might be asking you a few questions about tires, gear ratio's, etc.
I wish I could tell you more but that's pretty much all I know.

I ran 3.70 gears all the time. They were a good match for my engine which makes a lot of torque. Even with 3.70 I would reach my engine's redline at Thunderhill well before Start/Finish.

AFAIK, everyone else in the known universe runs 4.11 or 4.56. But their engines don't make power until RPM reaches nosebleed levels.

As for tires.... I ran Hoosier TDs. They work well and cost less than Goodyears.

Jim
Old 05-27-2013, 09:02 AM
NSTY C5
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Larry, Congrats, should be a lot of fun.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:25 AM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

I ran 3.70 gears all the time. They were a good match for my engine which makes a lot of torque. Even with 3.70 I would reach my engine's redline at Thunderhill well before Start/Finish.

AFAIK, everyone else in the known universe runs 4.11 or 4.56. But their engines don't make power until RPM reaches nosebleed levels.

As for tires.... I ran Hoosier TDs. They work well and cost less than Goodyears.

Jim
Thanks Jim,

The car came with 2 spares rears, 4:11 and 4:55 and I am guessing that the one that I have to pull is a 3:70. Looking at some of the tire rules for the various groups it looks like you can also run street tires, but we are thinking that you would have "chunking" problems with them.

Larry
Old 05-27-2013, 12:48 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by folsomlarry
Thanks Jim,

Looking at some of the tire rules for the various groups it looks like you can also run street tires, but we are thinking that you would have "chunking" problems with them.

Larry
Um, maybe, sorta.... Hoosier makes a "Street TD" (I think that's what they call it) which has a DOT rating but it really isn't a tire you'd want to use on the street. The overall carcass thickness is very thin and they wouldn't survive normal road hazards which real street tires barely notice.

I've never used the Street TDs. Those who have used them feel they use the same soft, gooey tread compound as their regular TDs and might even be the same tire, just with a different logo.

In any event, if you run with General Racing, HMSA or CSRG you'll have to use a bias ply tire. The only three choices are Hoosier, Goodyear, and Avon. And that's by club rule, not availability.

Jim
Old 05-30-2013, 11:02 AM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Jim
Took out the leaking rear end yesterday. It was actually a 4:30, so I am going to put in the 4:11 assembly.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:22 PM
redvetteman81
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How's it coming with that rear end.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Historic Race car

Old 06-06-2013, 10:15 AM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redvetteman81
How's it coming with that rear end.
Probably start putting it back together today. I am going to put in the 4:11 assembly. Talked to Karen Gallant yesterday and she said that her husband had fabricated a cradle for the rear end that fit on a floor jack and made it a simple operation. I sent a note to the guy I bought the car from and hopefully he can find it, along with a fake headlight bezel that he has. She also said the Meek was the original owner and that the car was first raced as a "big block" car.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:42 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Gonna have it ready for Vette Magic Saturday????

Old 06-09-2013, 11:47 AM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
Gonna have it ready for Vette Magic Saturday????

Hi Doug.
We were busy for a few days doing a garage sale at my mom's house in El Sobrante, so didn't even get out to the show yesterday. I think we will try and make a track day sometime in July to see what the car and driver can do. Might try and make a historic race towards the end of the season, or just another track day.

Quick Reply: C2 Historic Race car