Northern California Northern California

Anyone Know Who Crashed Their C6 on Mt Hamilton?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 02:52 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 636 Likes on 342 Posts

Default Anyone Know Who Crashed Their C6 on Mt Hamilton?

Silver C6 Roadster was really mangled, looked like a rollover. Passenger was Ok, but the driver was in pretty rough shape. Witnesses said speed was a factor.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:34 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Well, is wasn't JoAnne and I.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...-clara-county/

That's a most tempting stretch of roadway, too. I haven't been up that way in a long time as I like to go all the way up to the observatory and the Corvettes don't like the road quality up that high (and the cops up there are real holes about front plates and the like.)

This incident was down low where the road is open and can be taken at speed so a mistake could chuck you off the side big time

About time for our cars to get done, Steve.

Is that JoAnne's Corvette in the way back in the shop in the one pic on your site?

Z//
Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

My silver C6 is safely in the garage.

Was this the accident that was in the mercury this morning showing the air lift?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:16 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
My silver C6 is safely in the garage.

Was this the accident that was in the mercury this morning showing the air lift?
I think there were 2 corvettes crashed... one red one on hamilton and a silver one....I seen a silver one getting pulled out of a ditch on kpix this am...
Old 02-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 115 Posts

I saw it on the news last night. KPIX showed the license plate which I think was 6SSZ559
Old 02-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
Well, is wasn't JoAnne and I.

About time for our cars to get done, Steve.

Is that JoAnne's Corvette in the way back in the shop in the one pic on your site?

Z//
Yes that is her car
Old 02-11-2013, 11:33 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Who says Corvettes aren't safe? I have seen some real bad collisions where driver/passenger usually make it.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:43 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by ptroxx
I think there were 2 corvettes crashed... one red one on hamilton and a silver one....I seen a silver one getting pulled out of a ditch on kpix this am...
The one on Mt Hamilton was definitely a silver C6 convertible, as shown on the TV news.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:18 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
The one on Mt Hamilton was definitely a silver C6 convertible, as shown on the TV news.
and it was a vert? They are lucky to be alive after a drop like that.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:35 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LS WON
and it was a vert? They are lucky to be alive after a drop like that.
Yup, definitely a vert. They showed pics on the news, and said it had been rolled! You could see the damage to the windshield and its surround - glass all shattered, and the surround deformed.

Back in the day - 1970s - I had a buddy who rolled his '65 convertible off of Hwy 9 above Saratoga, turned it over 3 times and wound up against a tree. The body was absolutely destroyed, mostly torn off the car. They both walked away!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:01 PM
dents
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sure it was a rental. Flipped a bunch of times. Doors got stuck bigtime when it stopped.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:17 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by dents
Pretty sure it was a rental.
Rental? Hope they got the extra insurance.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:12 AM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

My tow truck buddies were apparently involved in the recovery of that vehicle, as they were telling me about it. One of them thought it was me until they realized it was a C6 and not a C5 that'd gone over the edge. Granted, now that I'm reading the article, I'm wondering if it was the same crash, cause my buddies said both the driver and the passenger were ejected "through the windshield" since they weren't wearing their seatbelts, driver apparently was paralyzed, whole lotta blood all over the place. Believe he said the driver was a male of Mexican descent.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:06 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

I read after the fact that both were injured, the driver much worse than the passenger.
I am the last one in the world to go negative on someone that crashes their Corvette due to excessive speed on the street, since I have been there done that... old timers on this forum will remember my incident, but damn this one was simply butt ugly. Looked like way too much speed and an inexperienced driver.
Like mine, they were simply lucky they didn't take someone else with them.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

No seat belts....<this idea went over well.

Not surprised if a rental and they don't Buckle Up that it ended this way, unfortunately for the driver it was a very serious case of poor judgment.

Again I fall back on the feeling that these cars are plenty fast for the street experience already, especially in hands of an inexperienced driver but not limited to them either.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:27 PM
C5'S LS1
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
No seat belts....<this idea went over well.
I'm amazed on why people still don't buckle up in this day and age.

I notice on reality TV shows that cover working people in vehicles ( police, taxi, etc..) they tend not to wear their seatbelts on the job. I understand police or mail men need to jump out of the vehiles and what not, but maybe this bad habit carries over into their personal life.

I know I was glad I was wearing my seatbelt when my Mustang found that tree, or when I was parked, then slammed into by an old GMC truck at 35mph.

Just nuts not to be wearing a seatbelt
Old 02-17-2013, 11:25 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Talked to my tow truck buddies, it was a Hertz rental. The guys were apparently going to sue to city for no barrier on the corner, that case is gonna fall through what with neither of them wearing their seatbelts. The driver's paralyzed, the passenger's gotten major brain trauma.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Know Who Crashed Their C6 on Mt Hamilton?

Old 02-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Yup very big mistake, just wow.

Times like this I must admit to myself just how LUCKY I have been throughout my years on the road. Covering 35 years as a Commercial driver but more to the point would be my first 5 years of driving starting as a teen. I did some really stupid things back then and I guess it just was not my time yet.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:26 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by flaagan
Talked to my tow truck buddies, it was a Hertz rental. The guys were apparently going to sue to city for no barrier on the corner, that case is gonna fall through what with neither of them wearing their seatbelts. The driver's paralyzed, the passenger's gotten major brain trauma.
Wow, what nerve! How about excessive speed, no seat belts, etc.? When will folks ever take responsibility for their own actions and stop trying to stick the taxpayer instead? I know, probably never, what with all the d@mn Attorneys here in California...............

BTW, "sue the City"...........? Good luck with that - it's not even in the City limits up there...............
Old 02-18-2013, 05:34 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Wow, what nerve! How about excessive speed, no seat belts, etc.? When will folks ever take responsibility for their own actions and stop trying to stick the taxpayer instead? I know, probably never, what with all the d@mn Attorneys here in California...............

BTW, "sue the City"...........? Good luck with that - it's not even in the City limits up there...............
Careful the way CAlifornia law has gone coo coo they may ban Corvettes next but it's ok to have wreckless and DUI drunk drivers (If you know what I mean) who can even sue you.
It's not the instrument responsible here but the person using it that is responsible for their own actions.

Last edited by LS WON; 02-18-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone Know Who Crashed Their C6 on Mt Hamilton?