Northern California Northern California

My Tune at TPS

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 07:57 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Tune at TPS

First, my car is a 2006 C6 A6 which is totally stock except with the addition of a E-force 554 hp supercharger. It has the stock E-force tune which everyone I talked to says that it is pretty much dead on.

I noticed that TPS was running a special on Dyon Tuning at a price of $350 which is unheard off low price. It turned out that TPS was running this special since they hired a new tuner and they figure it was the best way to bring people to their shop to get to know the tuner.

My car is running fine except for a small problem of it would continue to run a little after lifting the throttle (this was noticed by friend who was testing driving my car).

So I thought about having someone tune to get rid of it. Now I know that tuning is a very important part of a car and I don't want someone to learn tuning on my car so I checked on TPS's tuner Aaron Hibbs.

Aaron Hibbs used to work for Stillen Motorsports which is a coincidence since I had dealings with Stillen Motorsports about 8 years ago when a friend had me purchase a lot of items including a racing engine for his Nisson Z300 and had them shipped directly to Taiwan. My friend and I even visited Stillen Motorsports twice during the purchase and to view the building of the engine. I therefore called Stillen Motorsports and to my surprise, someone there still remembered me, I guess due to the large amount spent and also having them ship the items to Taiwan. I asked about Aaron Hibbs and his qualifications. I was transferred to the tech department. It turned out that even through Stillen Motorsports does a lot of imports but they also do a lot of American muscle cars. Mustangs and Corvettes are a big part of their customers. It turns out that Aaron Hibbs is the head mechanic and head tuner (they have a few tuners) and specializes in American muscles cars like Corvette. Aaron Hibbs left their company because he wanted to relocate back to the bay area in order to be with his family. They tried everything to keep him however he wasn't a team player and believe that family is more important than money (some people just don't have their priority straight). Aaron Hibbs seems to be very well known and highly regarded tuner in the Southern California area. After the phone call, it made me feel pretty good about giving Aaron Hibbs a chance to tune my car.

Now onto the tuning, I was not expecting much of a HP and TQ pick up and Aaron even told me that he might only be able to pick up maybe 8-10 hp. I told him that the HP was not my big concern but the run on of the car.

Now to make the long story short (I know, I know, too late), Aaron picked up 21 hp and 14 TQ. From the original 461.20 hp to 482.85 hp, the torque from the original 447.89 to 461.06. He tuned the throttle response and the transmission shift. He didn't go over board and make it shift very hard but told me that I can bring it back later and he can make it shift harder if that is what I wanted.

All in all, I am very pleased with the tune, the way the car responds to the throttle and the way it shifts. I think it is great to have another tuner in our area to give everyone more choices. At the $350 price, it is hard to beat. I mean we pay $50-60 just for a dyno pull and I am getting a custom tune for only $300 more? This is just too good a deal for anyone thinking about a tune or just want a confirmation that your tune is correct.

Anyway, everything here is just my personal opinion.

I don't know how to post up the Dyno chart however I hope that Mike from TPS will see this thread and be able to post up the before and after chart for you guys who are tech enough to understand it. I just know that I am happy with the way it drives and for me money well spent.

Last edited by csun213; 10-13-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: forgot to post up the base hp and tq
Old 10-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Glad it worked out for you.

Sounds like Mike landed a good tech.

TPS does all my work and their shop is very convenient for me, it is a win win.

I have heard of some talk that TPS did not have a good tuner. I have personally not experienced this mind you. In fact I have been very happy with all the work done by the crew at TPS, including a tune, differential swap, Z06 manifolds and H pipe installed, powder coated calibers with SS brake lines installed, Vararam intake replaced with factory intake and shroud, seat cushion upgrade, fluid changes and the window cowl replacement.

Mike has even worked with me regarding a rim and tire swap as well as the header swap for the Z06 gear.

Easy shop to deal with and Mike has been great.

Glad to see that a well known tuner is in the shop now, being as it was the only negative I every heard.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:43 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had never considered the previous tuner at TPS since I believe he was a Mustang tuner and didn't have much with Corvettes. The tuner he has now have a lot of experience with Corvettes which is great.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:06 AM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 271 Likes on 205 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Charlie,

Thanks for the compliments and I'm glad your happy with the results of your tune. Aaron is an excellent tuner and I'm glad he's part of the TPS team. Our last tuner tuned alot of LS based cars for us and most customers were very happy.

At TPS we can now tune Fords, GMs, Mopars, and Nissans

Here's your dyno sheet... if you ever need anything else please feel to let us know.

Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Old 10-14-2012, 01:17 AM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 271 Likes on 205 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Glad it worked out for you.

Sounds like Mike landed a good tech.

TPS does all my work and their shop is very convenient for me, it is a win win.

I have heard of some talk that TPS did not have a good tuner. I have personally not experienced this mind you. In fact I have been very happy with all the work done by the crew at TPS, including a tune, differential swap, Z06 manifolds and H pipe installed, powder coated calibers with SS brake lines installed, Vararam intake replaced with factory intake and shroud, seat cushion upgrade, fluid changes and the window cowl replacement.

Mike has even worked with me regarding a rim and tire swap as well as the header swap for the Z06 gear.

Easy shop to deal with and Mike has been great.

Glad to see that a well known tuner is in the shop now, being as it was the only negative I every heard.

Thanks for the props Dave and glad we've been able to take care of you. We strive to do everything possible to make every customer completely satisfied.

At TPS I am always looking to improve or staff and services. We're never satisfied with the status quo and always strive to be better. Our team currently is the best we've ever had and we can handle just about anything that's thrown at us whether it's a timing belt on a Honda or full performance builds on Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, or Mopars

Get notified of new replies

To My Tune at TPS

Quick Reply: My Tune at TPS