Northern California Northern California

Rainbow Tour and general tour question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 03:41 PM
31coupe
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Rainbow Tour and general tour question

From looking at all the pictures it looks like a really great time and hope to make it next year. I was wondering about the average speed say along the coast or two lane back roads. When clubs go on tours with the exception of freeways what are your average speeds. I was out this Sunday with a couple of other vett owners going along the Delta. I was keeping it around 45 to say 50. Is that to slow, I mean it was supposed to be a relaxing day, enjoy the sun and the water ways. I think I was irritating them... Just wondering?
Old 04-16-2012, 03:55 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

We try to go the speed limit. Most towns are 35 and there are lots of 15 - 25 MPH turns. Sometimes it gets faster but for short bursts. There were a lot in bicycles this weekend.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lrselkirk
From looking at all the pictures it looks like a really great time and hope to make it next year. I was wondering about the average speed say along the coast or two lane back roads. When clubs go on tours with the exception of freeways what are your average speeds. I was out this Sunday with a couple of other vett owners going along the Delta. I was keeping it around 45 to say 50. Is that to slow, I mean it was supposed to be a relaxing day, enjoy the sun and the water ways. I think I was irritating them... Just wondering?
I was a very relaxing ride. At times I was running behind other Vettes who seemed to have trouble keeping up with a RAV4 on the twisty stuff (5-10 MPH under the speed limit). It was fun to do, but I would prefer a more spirited run myself. I suppose it is really hard (impossible) to get a group that huge and go at a spirited pace.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:39 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimlock
I was a very relaxing ride. At times I was running behind other Vettes who seemed to have trouble keeping up with a RAV4 on the twisty stuff (5-10 MPH under the speed limit). It was fun to do, but I would prefer a more spirited run myself. I suppose it is really hard (impossible) to get a group that huge and go at a spirited pace.
The Rainbow Run isnt about spirited driving, Its more of a nice drive on a saturday afternoon with friends... There are so many other runs that just have 20-30 cars that you can control a lot easier,
Like you said trying to keep 136 cars can be a chore. But if you plan things right you can leave space in certain areas and have some small bursts of fun.. WIth all the traffic and bikes on these roads its best to keep the speeds at limit... Take it from me... No one wants to hit one of these bikes on the roads. it can cost you a ton in the long run...

But to answer the question, it all depends on the group you are with and where you are driving.. Some will want to go fast some will want to enjoy the drive and view.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Originally Posted by ptroxx
The Rainbow Run isnt about spirited driving, Its more of a nice drive on a saturday afternoon with friends... There are so many other runs that just have 20-30 cars that you can control a lot easier,
Like you said trying to keep 136 cars can be a chore. But if you plan things right you can leave space in certain areas and have some small bursts of fun.. WIth all the traffic and bikes on these roads its best to keep the speeds at limit... Take it from me... No one wants to hit one of these bikes on the roads. it can cost you a ton in the long run...

But to answer the question, it all depends on the group you are with and where you are driving.. Some will want to go fast some will want to enjoy the drive and view.
BTW, I wasn't meaning to be critical. Obviously it was a major investment of time to get that organized! I expected it to be somewhat different based on stories I had heard of other events...stories of people hitting 180 MPH, etc...I was actually worried that the event might have too many people pushing their cars too hard and actually risking me and my car. So I would actually prefer a leisurely cruise than one with a bunch of idiots.

I guess it is like the Three Bears...I need to find an event that is "just right" and that probably isn't going to happen.

Thanks again for the hard work and putting the event on!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:41 PM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

To the op. did you go on the run with the 4 cccc vette club they are a speed easy group they are +- 10 mph and all about the safe runs which is good. I for one like to drive with in +- 20 mph on the RR but when it is over and it's me and a close group of friends and the road is clear lets just say drive safe. Their are invite only runs that happen where it is what's under your hood and what are you comfortable with run and I have heard the triple digit speeds are seen. But hey you play you will pay
Old 04-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I do not know about group runs but I would hope the speed limit was targeted. Nothing worse than a large group of cars under the limit with no possibility of passing for others.

Speeding is not needed but at least run the limit.

One reason group runs do not appeal to me, couldn't think of anything more boring, following the leader.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Rocket-J
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was comfortable. It was not a performance run. Any and every car could make this run. It was a beatiful day and traffic was light.
Every town we went through had people waiving and taking pic's.
It must have been quite a surprise to see 130+ Corvette come by.
I highly recomend this run to anyone.
Great job, George.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:03 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

BTW, I wasn't meaning to be critical. Obviously it was a major investment of time to get that organized! I expected it to be somewhat different based on stories I had heard of other events...stories of people hitting 180 MPH, etc...I was actually worried that the event might have too many people pushing their cars too hard and actually risking me and my car. So I would actually prefer a leisurely cruise than one with a bunch of idiots.

I guess it is like the Three Bears...I need to find an event that is "just right" and that probably isn't going to happen.

Wasnt taken as critical at all.. The stories of the 180mph never happen on this run. to many obsticals on the roads.
Thats the problem with the spirited cruises you lose people, people cross double yellows putting people at risk and you just never know whats around the corner.. The RR is a great cruise to take the car out and shake it out for the first cruise of the year.. Youll have pleanty of time later in the year for the fast cruises....
Old 04-16-2012, 09:28 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a faster run, I would check on the other forum sometime in Sept. That is when there will be a smaller group doing more fun run.

Last edited by csun213; 04-17-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:31 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

This is the third cruise I have been on with the "Corvette Forum Crowd". On the previous two cruises I watched inexperienced yahoos lose control. In one case, someone got lucky that there was no accident - it was very close to someone losing their life. In the other case, someone ended up with a severely damaged car, but the driver was fine.

This run was (just as Geo said) a casual Saturday drive. I go on some very aggressive runs with close friends that are fellow racers and I know what to expect from them. When you get a large group of unknown folks together, I'd much rather enjoy the scenery and save the canyon carving for the smaller groups.

George, you handled this event perfectly, and I look forward to running with you again in the future.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:11 AM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by doje
This is the third cruise I have been on with the "Corvette Forum Crowd". On the previous two cruises I watched inexperienced yahoos lose control. In one case, someone got lucky that there was no accident - it was very close to someone losing their life. In the other case, someone ended up with a severely damaged car, but the driver was fine.

This run was (just as Geo said) a casual Saturday drive. I go on some very aggressive runs with close friends that are fellow racers and I know what to expect from them. When you get a large group of unknown folks together, I'd much rather enjoy the scenery and save the canyon carving for the smaller groups.

George, you handled this event perfectly, and I look forward to running with you again in the future.

Well put Dave
Old 04-17-2012, 02:21 AM
Grimlock
Drifting

Originally Posted by doje

I agree. I don't think there is any better way you could run this unless you tried to assign "run groups" like at a track day. But that could open you up to some SERIOUS liability issues if something goes wrong. So that is probably a BAD idea.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:23 AM
Grimlock
Drifting

Wasnt taken as critical at all.. The stories of the 180mph never happen on this run. to many obsticals on the roads.
Thats the problem with the spirited cruises you lose people, people cross double yellows putting people at risk and you just never know whats around the corner.. The RR is a great cruise to take the car out and shake it out for the first cruise of the year.. Youll have pleanty of time later in the year for the fast cruises....
Cool, I am glad you didn't take it the wrong way. I just know how hard it is to see the tone of the message/conversation on the internet and I wanted to make sure you didn't think I was being critical after all the hard work you put in!

Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:52 AM
31coupe
Pro

Thanks to all for your impute and that sounds like the run for me, nice and easy with everyone safe. I look forward to next year. To the one who asked about the 4cccc club, no it was neighbors and a friend all have convertible and a spur of the moment to enjoy the day, two c5's and a c6 and one lone BMW. Thanks again for your comments.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:21 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Originally Posted by lrselkirk
Thanks to all for your impute and that sounds like the run for me, nice and easy with everyone safe. I look forward to next year.
I already have the date set for next year so save the date April 13th 2013 For the Corvette Syndicate Rainbow Run 6
Old 04-17-2012, 01:26 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I already have the date set for next year so save the date April 13th 2013 For the Corvette Syndicate Rainbow Run 6

Get notified of new replies

To Rainbow Tour and general tour question

Old 04-17-2012, 07:53 PM
31coupe
Pro

Great, I ve got it down and will be looking forward to your posts. Thanks again
Old 04-17-2012, 08:35 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Dave makes a lot of sense. We have had a couple of idiots on this run in previous years who passed over double yellow lines and then forced there way back in putting everyone else at risk. The only way to run fast is in a small group with drivers that you know. The streets have so many people driving that don't what they that even that is is not the safest thing. With all of the track days, autocrosses, drag races, the California mile, etc. there are plenty of places to drive fast Already looking forward to next years RR.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:33 PM
ctaylor1432
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can count me in Geo.

Quick Reply: Rainbow Tour and general tour question