Northern California Northern California

Abel Chevrolet

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Abel Chevrolet

I popped unto Abel for the first time last week for some service on my new to me C6 Z06. Just wanted to share my experience with the regional folks here.

I had worked with Rich from the start through PMs here. He got me all set up for my appointment. Communication was excellent and appointment schedules were very flexible. Once I arrived at Abel, I was taken care and kept up to date on progress by Nick. He was very courteous, explaining the layout of Downtown Rio Vista (a short walk) and offered a shuttle to take me to out to lunch if I needed it.

My tech was Jim, who had an impressive mechanical background. Jim had worked on Cadillacs for over 20 years and focuses mainly on Corvettes for the past few years. Jim was very thorough and walked me under the car to show and explain a few things about it, many things I did not know.

I won't get into all of the details of the work done, but it was all well done in a timely manner, I couldn't be happier. I appreciate the excellent work across the board. Communication, quality of service, follow up, and courtesy were all top notch. The service team at Abel are very focused on the customer experience and it shows.

I had a good experience ordering parts before and heard many good things on the forum about Abel but was hesitant to drive from San Jose up to Rio Vista. After this visit, I now understand why people make the trip. Whenever possible, I'll be heading up to Abel moving forward.

Thanks again Rich, it was great meeting you and the rest of the Abel team.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Yeah, I just got my Z, and was thinking about taking it there to get some work done. How long the drive, from San Jose?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

The service there is great. RichieRich on the forum is their service manager and he ensures you are taken care of.

The drive was about an hour and a half. It was 80 or so miles for me, mostly freeway. Abel should be a bit closer for you in Alameda, maybe an hour or so.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:55 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Abel is by far the best dealership...and shop experience I've ever encountered......period!
Old 01-02-2012, 05:08 PM
careyj1inalamo
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went up twice last week from Discovery Bay, once for oil change and second time my lights came in for warranty work. They are great and they love vettes! (Rich, Nick and all the staff)

2011 Black ZR1
Old 01-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 68
Yeah, I just got my Z, and was thinking about taking it there to get some work done. How long the drive, from San Jose?
I'm in south SJ and it takes me 1 hour 20 minutes to get there (assuming no traffic.)

Z//
Old 01-02-2012, 07:32 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Abel may be a little drive for most of us however it is worth it to have Richie over look to make sure that the work is done right. I just found out from some of the guys that if your Corvette is going to be there for a couple of day that they have cheap rental cars also. I believe it is around $20/day.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:22 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. We appreciate you guys taking the time to post something nice. We do offer cheap rentals or free loaner cars for larger jobs that require the car staying a while. If there is anything we can do for anyone, please feel free to call or PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
The service there is great. RichieRich on the forum is their service manager and he ensures you are taken care of.

The drive was about an hour and a half. It was 80 or so miles for me, mostly freeway. Abel should be a bit closer for you in Alameda, maybe an hour or so.

That's good to know, wasn't sure how far they where away. Thanks. How you enjoying your car, how long you had it?
Old 01-04-2012, 12:54 AM
Exotica
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tlove32
Abel is by far the best dealership...and shop experience I've ever encountered......period!

I met Richie on the forum several years ago and he takes better care of the people on this forum than most parents do of their children (ok, well you get the idea!).

No better dealership to take your car than Abel. Richie will make sure you are well cared for and treated right!

I don't care where in the Bay Area people live...it is worth the drive to know your car is in good hands. Period!

Keep up the good work, Richie.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Exotica

I met Richie on the forum several years ago and he takes better care of the people on this forum than most parents do of their children (ok, well you get the idea!).

No better dealership to take your car than Abel. Richie will make sure you are well cared for and treated right!

I don't care where in the Bay Area people live...it is worth the drive to know your car is in good hands. Period!

Yeah, I hear nothing but great reviews.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:39 PM
DUMAN
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Exotica

Well said Tom.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:55 PM
FastGhost
Burning Brakes

Don't know how Abel was before Richie, but I'm sure Richie is great assest to the dealership.
The Corvette community appreciates Richie and the Abel force.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Paul 68
That's good to know, wasn't sure how far they where away. Thanks. How you enjoying your car, how long you had it?
I've had it about 3 months now.

Car is a lot of fun, really enjoying it. Its been my 'dream car' for a few years now and after saving for a while, I finally got around to picking one up. Been a fan of Corvettes for some time now, but this is my first.

Its also become somewhat of a money pit, haha. I've been changing out a few things I thought could use improvement and they add up. I still have a few things planned that I want to take care of, but that'll have to come later this year.

Did you find yours yet?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:02 AM
deltadude
Pro

Took my 2010 GS in yesterday for an oil change and a check engine light. Drove down from Folsom. Didn't meet Richie but was well taken care of by the other service reps.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:01 AM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
I've had it about 3 months now.

Car is a lot of fun, really enjoying it. Its been my 'dream car' for a few years now and after saving for a while, I finally got around to picking one up. Been a fan of Corvettes for some time now, but this is my first.

Its also become somewhat of a money pit, haha. I've been changing out a few things I thought could use improvement and they add up. I still have a few things planned that I want to take care of, but that'll have to come later this year.

Did you find yours yet?
Yes, had it little over 2 weeks, 08 Z06 2LZ 15k miles. If you check my post you can see pics in the thread. This is my third Vette, had a 92 LT1, 02 Z06 & now 08 Z06. Yeah when you see all the goodies for this car, the money does leave your hand quickly. LOL.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:47 PM
cyclist7531
Instructor

Based on recommendations posted here I took my 91 up there from Modesto to have them check the ABS and wiper function and Rich and team were great. Won't go anywhere else now for any future service.

Mark

Get notified of new replies

To Abel Chevrolet

Old 01-12-2012, 02:19 PM
CaFinn
Intermediate

Allow me to second all the praise. Rich, Nick and the team are wonderful.

Abel also has a body shop in Rio Vista, and I had an excellent experience with them (thank you Ryan and Martin!).

I can't recommend accessorizing Corvette rear fender with a Volvo though.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Jim McCombe
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

When in doubt, go with the known factor= ABLE CHEVROLET!
The Corvette community in general is very particular and only expects the best service for money spent.
The general consensus here is Rich and the Team Able crew are the dealership of choice and I would almost bet that it had something to do with their customer relationships and the service rendered.

The numbers speak for themselves.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:11 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim McCombe
When in doubt, go with the known factor= ABLE CHEVROLET!
The Corvette community in general is very particular and only expects the best service for money spent.
The general consensus here is Rich and the Team Able crew are the dealership of choice and I would almost bet that it had something to do with their customer relationships and the service rendered.

The numbers speak for themselves.
I definitely concur with the above.
I like that fact that you can wait for your Corvette while they work on it as far as maintenance items go.
Ritch takes care of all the arrangements as he understands that we come from all over so he is considerate and will accomodate your schedule and also make sure that if part needs to be ordered it will be there before he has you come up .

I had a very bad experience with a dealership.
Not a GM dealership.
In this case that I had to go back 5 times for them to get me the correct power window switch that they had to order..didn't keep it in stock.

I grew up on V-8 engines that got 10 mph at best or less.
To say this got so frustrating that I told the parts manager that I will never buy another American car again based on their poor performance in ordering the right power window switch and his reaction was just that we are sorry you feel that way and our employees have bad days
No apology just justification for his employees messing up. He didn't offer any services or incentives to make things right and now this is for a simple power window switch.
The attitude they projected to me is that we don't need your business and they don't care. This was in the 90's.

Anyway Ritch will answers any questions you have and will steer you in the right directions when decisions have to be made. He doesn't steer you in the wrong direction where other repair shops always come up with the most expensive solutions for the extra $$$$. Depending on your driving style and usage of Corvette Ritch will steer you in the right direction . He won't have you get all of this fancy expensive stuff. if you don't need it. This is a good thing as he is saving you the consumer $$$.
You can communicate with the mechanic who worked on your Corvette who will explain and answer any questions you may have.
It is also interesting watching them work and how they go about solving problems at least with the tech I had-very professional.
It's worth the drive and to take the day off work which is what I do unless the car is going to be there for awhile and then you can feel secure they will take care of it and lock it up inside.

Last edited by LS WON; 01-13-2012 at 12:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Abel Chevrolet