Northern California Northern California

My 1st SCCA T1 Race Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 01:00 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
I don't think half a quart is a big deal on a fresh motor. I used to go through at least that in my old LS6 in a day of HPDE's
OK. Actually I think I started about 1/2 quart over full and ended up 1/2 quart low after 2 days. As long as it puts down good power I think it's fine.

Originally Posted by Steve@RSD
Nice Job Bill. Was it wierd to go to the T1 suspension in that car? I know you are used to better.
Sounds like a cool bunch to run with, I asked Ritchie for help at AutoX and he rode with me and only words of advise he had was "holy $hit this thing sticks!"

Steve
Good question. It is an adjustment going from my ST2 car to the T1 car because they handle differently. The ST2 car is running LG coilovers with non-adjusable bilsteins and is lower and stiffer than the T1 car. The poly bushings make for quicker turn-in response also. The T1 car with the Sachs shocks is softer, but not too soft. Honestly, I was surprised and impressed at how well the T1 car handles overall. It takes a bit longer to turn in and settle, but it's manageable with driving style. I think I was missing apexes occasionally because I'm used to the quicker response of the ST2 car. I want to run the GM T1 shocks for a season to get the feel for the car they way GM designed it. Then I can decide if it's worth running the more expensive adjustable shocks that most guys have. I kind of like having non-adjustable shocks so I don't have to think about them.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:16 PM
jpandes
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats Bill! Cool Videos.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:56 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Great job Bill, looks like you guys had a blast
Old 05-27-2011, 09:26 AM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Old 05-30-2011, 11:08 PM
fleadh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
Thanks. No I wanted to race at LS, but all the T1 guys are from SoCal so we went to Buttonwillow. Good luck and post up video if you can.
Here's a full length video from the second race on Sunday. Qualified 3rd behind 2 fast SP cars (1 being my buddy). At around the 15 minute mark Frank Emmitt passes me (sideways) into T11 in his awesome GT1 Corvette.. it was a great move. Finished 2nd overall in the first race and 3rd overall in the second race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn2jXiyA6ic

If only I had the power of my ZR1 in the Cup car!

-mike
Old 06-01-2011, 01:17 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
Here's a full length video from the second race on Sunday. Qualified 3rd behind 2 fast SP cars (1 being my buddy). At around the 15 minute mark Frank Emmitt passes me (sideways) into T11 in his awesome GT1 Corvette.. it was a great move. Finished 2nd overall in the first race and 3rd overall in the second race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn2jXiyA6ic

If only I had the power of my ZR1 in the Cup car!

-mike
Very nice. Congrats . That was a fast corvette! Your cup car looks like it's on rails. You can see from the video that it's lighter and tighter than a vette. Looks like a great race car. Are the cup cars modified street cars like our T1 corvettes or purpose built race cars? What kind of brakes do they have and do they have abs?
Old 06-01-2011, 11:37 AM
fleadh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
Very nice. Congrats . That was a fast corvette! Your cup car looks like it's on rails. You can see from the video that it's lighter and tighter than a vette. Looks like a great race car. Are the cup cars modified street cars like our T1 corvettes or purpose built race cars? What kind of brakes do they have and do they have abs?
Ya the cup's are based on the street GT3 chassis. It has the street GT3 brake system w/ race pads, no power assisted braking, and ABS systems removed. Takes a lot of pedal effort to get it slowed down (street master cyls) and it's tricky to learn when you're locking up and flat spotting an expensive set of tires. :-)

I believe my car is in the 360-370rwhp range and weighs 2810 w/ me in it w/o coolsuit box.

The black GT1 Corvette is a custom tube framed car w/ a big motor, slicks, and wings. I believe Frank just had it completed a few months ago.. it's only going to get faster!

-mike

Quick Reply: My 1st SCCA T1 Race Weekend