Dont street race

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:01 AM
Jeffyvette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Answer this then

Flaagan,
If you don't race or run fast on the road why the SC on your car then? You forget some of us know what group you run with (I am one of them). I have never seen you on a drag strip, road course, or autocross and you don't have a bar to run quick on a track yet. I do know about wanting to be able to hang with dad. But where is that done if not on the street? This is a sad and senseless situation for these poor people, but all these people on their soapboxs I DO NOT believe never break the speed laws. I just hate the hollier then thou attitudes they have. I don't race on the (open to public) roads but I do drive fast sometimes very fast. Isn't that the real basic thing here driving fast where it is illegal?

Last edited by Jeffyvette; 03-25-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well said!
Soapboxes and Vette owners don't mix on this subject and we all know it...
Old 03-25-2011, 09:36 AM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Jeffyvette
Flaagan,
If you don't race or run fast on the road why the SC on your car then? You forget some of us know what group you run with (I am one of them). I have never seen you on a drag strip, road course, or autocross and you don't have a bar to run quick on a track yet. I do know about wanting to be able to hang with dad. But where is that done if not on the street? This is a sad and senseless situation for these poor people, but all these people on their soapboxs I DO NOT believe never break the speed laws. I just hate the hollier then thou attitudes they have. I don't race on the (open to public) roads but I do drive fast sometimes very fast. Isn't that the real basic thing here driving fast where it is illegal?
I can't speak for Flaagan, but I can speak for myself. I DO run a lot of sanctioned race events, and that's the reason I've got my car pumped like I do. However, I will also goose it on the street or even ridiculously exceed posted limits on lonely highways WHEN NOBODY ELSE IS AROUND. however, I have NEVER raced another car on the street. If I do decide to break the rules, I am usually the only one around to pay the consequences.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Rob04C5LM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffyvette
Flaagan,
I think there's a difference between what these kids were doing (65-90MPH?!?) on a crowded surface street and what some of us might do on a freeway or open country road. The key distinction in my mind is that these kids were putting a lot of people other than themselves in danger. I think Flaagan was just trying to illustrate the hazards of this activity - I hope he wasn't suggesting that we all drive the limit.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:29 PM
ckim34
Instructor

it was a benz vs a rented vette, the driver in the honda is a standford medical center in critical condition with major damge to her heart and brain
Old 03-25-2011, 03:47 PM
FastGhost
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ckim34
it was a benz vs a rented vette, the driver in the honda is a standford medical center in critical condition with major damge to her heart and brain
That is sad...wishing her the best in recovery...

Last edited by FastGhost; 03-26-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:50 AM
Jeffyvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by doje
I can't speak for Flaagan, but I can speak for myself. I DO run a lot of sanctioned race events, and that's the reason I've got my car pumped like I do. However, I will also goose it on the street or even ridiculously exceed posted limits on lonely highways WHEN NOBODY ELSE IS AROUND. however, I have NEVER raced another car on the street. If I do decide to break the rules, I am usually the only one around to pay the consequences.
I agree.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:54 AM
Jeffyvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rob04C5LM
I think there's a difference between what these kids were doing (65-90MPH?!?) on a crowded surface street and what some of us might do on a freeway or open country road. The key distinction in my mind is that these kids were putting a lot of people other than themselves in danger. I think Flaagan was just trying to illustrate the hazards of this activity - I hope he wasn't suggesting that we all drive the limit.
Another well made point. I just see red with the people who are "save it for the track" militent as if their sh*t don't stink, full of themselves as&ho@les start jumping on these threads. They are worse then reformed smokers.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:48 AM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

They don't rent cars to 19 year olds much less a vette!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:18 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06supercharged
Gosh darn that rich family for causing this accident.
The Vette driver gets the Darwin award for returning to watch and getting busted.
Some shrink would say that he wanted to get caught. I agree with you, he was just stupid, twice.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:20 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What I recall from the paper is he came back 'cause he didn't want the police looking for him.

Here's a link to the follow on article in Friday's paper

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...6C8&p_docnum=1

I'm not condoning his actions.

3/27/11 oops, the link doen't seem to work. The follow on article in the March 25'th paper was titled "Racing suspects' accounts differ". I found it by searching the Mercury News web site.

Last edited by 3D87C4; 03-27-2011 at 06:40 PM. Reason: added link...oops link doesn't work
Old 03-26-2011, 10:55 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Jeffy - Dude, wasn't trying to take a holier than though attitude; like what doje said, what these two did was beyond reckless. I wasn't trying to soapbox this, but give another example out of a horrible situation as to why we should all think twice before putting anyone's life, including our own, at risk.

That aside, what I've heard lines up with ckim's comment, and that also the vette renter was 25 and the benz driver was 19 and it was dad's car. The drivers are apparently, on top of other charges, likely to be charged with 'attempted vehicular manslaughter'. How much of that's true I don't know, haven't been actively digging up on this, just passing along what I've heard.

Anyways, yah, it's an all around bad situation that could have be prevented, and now three people's lives are pretty much ruined at a young age.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:46 PM
Jeffyvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by flaagan
Jeffy - Dude, wasn't trying to take a holier than though attitude; like what doje said, what these two did was beyond reckless. I wasn't trying to soapbox this, but give another example out of a horrible situation as to why we should all think twice before putting anyone's life, including our own, at risk.
Flaagan,
Mostly just giving you a bit of a bad time. There are others that just are so over the top. I know we both have "Been there done that" when it comes to Cowboy crusin.
Jeffy'
Old 03-27-2011, 02:15 AM
deetee
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

guys
i get information for all three people that get involved:
1. the 19 y/o he is from indonesia, his parents so ****** rich and actually he has 3 brothers and 1 sister who live in bay area to go to school.
all his bro and sis has the same car from his parents benz 63 cls amg.
and the latest info that his parents paid the bail and try to get him a lawyer that blame the girl wasnt looking whe she get into that street.
2. the 24y/o (from indonesia too) who rented the corvette just a friend of him that trying the c6 to beat that cls LOL!
he was coming back because he want to see if his friend ok or not, unfortunately he is not as rich as the benz guy, so nobody bail him out
3. the girl (from local here), still in coma and the doctor just put something else to help her heart. really really sad
Old 03-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Rich little punk kids the Benz family. Parents not really doing them any good in the long run. What 19 yr. old needs a 63 CLS AMG. While I shutter to think about the ruined lives of the two drivers, how about the innocent girl.

Actions have repercussions.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, all around.

Gotta be very aware of the surroundings while driving, always with no rest. Assume nothing have an out.

I blame the parents here for the attitude of the kids.

That age and the $$ makes it hard to learn creditability.

Last edited by Boomer111; 03-27-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:16 PM
LowNSlow01
Instructor

Sad ending...

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-cou...nclick_check=1
Old 04-01-2011, 12:35 PM
GDUP409
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

What a damn shame.My thoughts and prayers go out to the girls parents and family.

Get notified of new replies

To Dont street race

Old 04-01-2011, 12:38 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How sad.

I think I read her obit this morning but didn't put 2 & 2 together.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:44 PM
GDUP409
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Rich little punk kids the Benz family. Parents not really doing them any good in the long run. What 19 yr. old needs a 63 CLS AMG. While I shutter to think about the ruined lives of the two drivers, how about the innocent girl.

Actions have repercussions.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, all around.

Gotta be very aware of the surroundings while driving, always with no rest. Assume nothing have an out.

I blame the parents here for the attitude of the kids.

That age and the $$ makes it hard to learn creditability.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:44 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LowNSlow01

My condolences to the family. This is tragic

Quick Reply: Dont street race