Northern California Northern California

Saturday 2/12/11 GTG for lunch at Moylan's Brewery in Novato, Ca.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:27 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

dont forget 2 way radios if you have some
Old 02-12-2011, 10:02 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Had a great time with everyone today.. It was nice to see some old friends and make some new ones...

I took about 25-30 pics ill have them up on the other site w/in the hour..
Hope some of you can make bowling on the 26th...
Old 02-12-2011, 11:30 PM
New Owner Flynbya
Acct suspended by request 10 Apr 2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

kind of disappointed with vette runs; i'm a newbee and this was my second one. i expect to caravan with a group to a location and back home with that same group. the cars that lead drive to fast and don't pull over to wait for others to catch up so i drove home alone and got lost. i would think we would have more consideration!! is this how they work?
Old 02-13-2011, 12:10 AM
Jeff W
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by New Owner Flynbya
kind of disappointed with vette runs; i'm a newbee and this was my second one. i expect to caravan with a group to a location and back home with that same group. the cars that lead drive to fast and don't pull over to wait for others to catch up so i drove home alone and got lost. i would think we would have more consideration!! is this how they work?
It's sometimes hard to keep the group together when traffic, lights, pedestrians/bicycles, etc. get in the way. Did you have gps and/or a two way radio? The two way is just about an absolute must have on these runs.

The only real way to keep this from happening is to have enough ppl that truly know the route strategically placed throughout the group and at the tail end of the group.

Sorry you got lost, that was not an intention of any of ours.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:18 AM
corvettepete
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got stuck in back of a BIG TRUCK when going through Novato. Total drag. The two cars I was following totally tore it up to get around the truck but I decided to wait for Jim who was in back of me. Jeff, that was us who you caught up with and followed on 37 and through Vallejo. Too bad we have to share the road with other vehicles on these cruises.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:46 AM
xlr8rvette
Drifting

Location: Fayetteville Arkansas recently moved from Oakland Ca
Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Sounds like you guys do not know how to caravan...or do not care.

Its not suppose to be a speed contest !
Old 02-13-2011, 01:55 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Originally Posted by xlr8rvette

? ? ? speed contest ? ? WOW ..we never went over the speed limit the entire trip.. And where were you in the pack.. ?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Jeff W
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by corvettepete
I got stuck in back of a BIG TRUCK when going through Novato. Total drag. The two cars I was following totally tore it up to get around the truck but I decided to wait for Jim who was in back of me. Jeff, that was us who you caught up with and followed on 37 and through Vallejo. Too bad we have to share the road with other vehicles on these cruises.
You and Jim must have taken a different route to 101 because you were ahead of us when we got to 37.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Jeff W
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by xlr8rvette

Originally Posted by ptroxx
? ? ? speed contest ? ? WOW ..we never went over the speed limit the entire trip.. And where were you in the pack.. ?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Jeff W
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

Here are the few pics I was able to take.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:55 PM
BoostedEBZ06
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The only time I remember breaking the speed limit was when we got separated in that small town on the way to point reyes and that Lexus pulled out in between us and myself and the guy in the black C6 passed him. Other than that I thought we stayed under the speed limit the whole time.

I have a few pics I will post soon.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:55 PM
New Owner Flynbya
Acct suspended by request 10 Apr 2013

St. Jude Donor '10

can you please attach the link of where the pics were posted on the other site.

thank you.
:woohoo

:
Old 02-13-2011, 05:05 PM
corvettepete
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jeff W
You and Jim must have taken a different route to 101 because you were ahead of us when we got to 37.
We lost the group when we got stuck behind a big rig coming out of the hills. Luckily Jim noticed a 101 sign or we'd probably still be in Novato. Once we found 101, we headed for 37.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:03 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

thank you.

:
I hope to have my pics posted up by tuesday,Sorry for delay.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:06 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Jeff W
It's sometimes hard to keep the group together when traffic, lights, pedestrians/bicycles, etc. get in the way. Did you have gps and/or a two way radio? The two way is just about an absolute must have on these runs.

The only real way to keep this from happening is to have enough ppl that truly know the route strategically placed throughout the group and at the tail end of the group.

Sorry you got lost, that was not an intention of any of ours.
I got seperated after we left the restaurant when I followed BAK and did not know they were heading home instead of to Lucas road. I got back on 101 and got off at Rowland and then headed back south on 101 and eventually caught up with the group at the church. As Pete said we also got seperated from 2 Vettes in Novato.

For what it is worth, with many years of caravaning with the Golden State Chapter Trans Am Club we always pulled over to let the entire group catch up. On highways the last guy in the group would be told from the lead car when to change lanes so he could pull over into the lane and play blocker and then all the cars in front could move into the lane as a group. At intersections, someone would also when possible play blocker to let the cars through and then pull in behind the last car. Like I said different groups do it differently, nevertheless it won't stop me from attending future events because I had a blast.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:31 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

thank you.

:
here is the link I found

http://cmd.shutterfly.com/commands/p...ags&album=9737

I will post mine up on Tuesday.

I also sent you a PM.

Last edited by prinzSD455; 02-14-2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: added last line
Old 02-14-2011, 01:17 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry you've had bad experiences. I've been on a lot of caravans and most of them the group has a map or itinerary and stick together until they get to the destination. On most runs everyone is on their own on the return trip for the simple reason that some people want to stay longer or continue the trip, or live in a different direction. I find a group that is leaving about the time I want to leave and caravan back with them.

I'm a member of River City Corvettes and the runs we do everyone has a 2-way radio or a CB and we all stick together, but we never go on roads like we did last Saturday. I've been on the last two Rainbow Runs and there is no place to pull over along most of that road.

Get notified of new replies

To Saturday 2/12/11 GTG for lunch at Moylan's Brewery in Novato, Ca.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Nalykh
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

I've never had a problem with sticking with the group on the NCV runs. Now getting from Sacramento to the starting spot is a different story. I meet up with the big boys in Rancho and end up coming in way behind everyone else. I love driving the vette fast, but sometimes it just doesn't feel like it's the right time. I usually cruise between 70 - 75 mph. I end up getting to the starting point in plenty of time to visit with friends and meet new ones before the cruise starts. As several others have said, having two way radios is a must and a navigation system doesn't hurt either. Of course on the last run our two way radios didn't work and the navigation system had the restaurant in the middle of some strip mall.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:31 PM
BAK
Advanced

Jim; Sorry about that, my wife had to head home. I think our two hot rodders pulled arround some overly slow traffic on the enterance ramp and left you and others. In reality it may have been the safest thing to do.

But, regardless it was our pleasure meeting you, Tom, Pete, John and Nancy and I hope to see you all again and become acquainted with others we didn't meet this time out.

This was our first time out with a group and we really had no problem with anything.

Sincerely, BAK
Old 02-14-2011, 03:55 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BAK
Jim; Sorry about that, my wife had to head home. I think our two hot rodders pulled arround some overly slow traffic on the enterance ramp and left you and others. In reality it may have been the safest thing to do.

But, regardless it was our pleasure meeting you, Tom, Pete, John and Nancy and I hope to see you all again and become acquainted with others we didn't meet this time out.

This was our first time out with a group and we really had no problem with anything.

Sincerely, BAK
Not a problem. I was not paying attention to the signs as well. It was a pleasure metting you and your wife. I hope you can make it on more runs with us. Maybe we in Antioch , Clayton valley, and Concord area can get together for some coffee at Starbucks in Clayton Plaza and show those guys that show up it the Viper or Ferarri a thing or two about classy cars.

See ya' next time.

Quick Reply: Saturday 2/12/11 GTG for lunch at Moylan's Brewery in Novato, Ca.