Possible New Auto Swap Meet... need feedback

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:03 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Possible New Auto Swap Meet... need feedback

I have been thinking having a Monthly Automotive Swap Meet for some time and wanted to get an idea what people would think of this idea. The Swap Meet would be in the parking lot of my shop and any one who had any parts to sell would be welcome to sell it at the Swap Meet. The costs to have a booth would be $20. Please give me your feedback as I want to get as much feedback as possible.
Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Old 11-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I think it is a creative idea. I am not sure though of the volume you would have on a monthly basis. Again though if monthly people can count on it which is a plus. Could grow into a big deal.

Good luck with the idea.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:14 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TPSMak
I have been thinking having a Monthly Automotive Swap Meet for some time and wanted to get an idea what people would think of this idea. The Swap Meet would be in the parking lot of my shop and any one who had any parts to sell would be welcome to sell it at the Swap Meet. The costs to have a booth would be $20. Please give me your feedback as I want to get as much feedback as possible.
They have a HUGE automotive swap meet every six weeks in the LA area. Search for the Pomona Swap Meet for info on it. Several of the big vendors have multi-space booths there. It's unbelievable the first time you see it. I went to it several times when I was living in LA. So call me and I can tell you several things about it from a spectator/buyer point of view.

There is also a Long Beach automotive swap meet once a month, but it is much smaller and I never went to it.

I think it's a great idea, but it could grow into too big a project for you to handle. Give it a try and see how it goes...
Old 11-19-2010, 11:19 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11

I know in LA/ Socal area there are some big Swap Meets.. This Sunday there is the one in Irwindale. It could turn into something big but I want to take baby steps before we run.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:49 PM
LowNSlow01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd come
Old 11-20-2010, 06:11 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by LowNSlow01
I'd come
Who you be a exhibitor or buyer?
Old 11-21-2010, 09:12 AM
deltadude
Pro

Prior to moving back to this area, I lived in Orange County and would go to the Pomona Swap meet. There were also a lot of weekly gatherings for hot rodders. A monthly swap meet could catch on quickly. If for no other reason than for like minded car folks to hang out. Would you have enough space to allow for cars for sale along with swap meet goods? You could quickly run out of space unless you are looking to keep it confined to the area you have available.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:20 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by deltadude
Prior to moving back to this area, I lived in Orange County and would go to the Pomona Swap meet. There were also a lot of weekly gatherings for hot rodders. A monthly swap meet could catch on quickly. If for no other reason than for like minded car folks to hang out. Would you have enough space to allow for cars for sale along with swap meet goods? You could quickly run out of space unless you are looking to keep it confined to the area you have available.
I am going to move forward with this and see what happens. I think it could work out real well. I need to layout my parking lot and see how many booths I can fit and also see if I have any room for cars to be displayed. Your right... this could turn into something big and i could run out of space VERY fast.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:43 PM
LS7 C5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swap meet would be great, I could finally clean out my garage :cool
I don't know about anyone else but on a Sunday would be best for me.

Last edited by LS7 C5; 11-21-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:56 PM
LowNSlow01
Instructor

Buyer.

Who you be a exhibitor or buyer?
Old 11-21-2010, 08:03 PM
MR.Z06
Racer

I'd go as long as there was no sales tax. (right? swap meet no tax...)
I hate CA sales tax...
Old 11-21-2010, 10:57 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by SoSlo
I'd go as long as there was no sales tax. (right? swap meet no tax...)
I hate CA sales tax...
Sales tax would be collected by the seller if they wanted to... we are not the seller so I would assume most would not charge tax
Old 11-21-2010, 11:49 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I think the concept is good. It would be a great thing for the local automotive community. However, I would not charge anyone for the booth... at least not for a long time...

You want the maximum number of sellers there in order to attract the maximum number of buyers. If there are only 8 sellers, there won't be many buyers. On the flip side, if buyers don't show up (due to a small selection of sellers) then sellers will also stop coming. Making it free will make it more successful. Once (if) it gets big and popular, then you have a justification to start charging a fee for sellers.

Additionally, when Joe shows up and buys a new set of heads for his Mustang, TPS can be right there with a quote to install them. This is where the true money opportunity is for TPS – not in the $20 fee.

Remember, when you have 100 sellers trying to sell their wares, there will be 1000 buyers looking for a deal. At that point, nobody will complain about the $20 fee.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by doje
I think the concept is good. It would be a great thing for the local automotive community. However, I would not charge anyone for the booth... at least not for a long time...

You want the maximum number of sellers there in order to attract the maximum number of buyers. If there are only 8 sellers, there won't be many buyers. On the flip side, if buyers don't show up (due to a small selection of sellers) then sellers will also stop coming. Making it free will make it more successful. Once (if) it gets big and popular, then you have a justification to start charging a fee for sellers.

Additionally, when Joe shows up and buys a new set of heads for his Mustang, TPS can be right there with a quote to install them. This is where the true money opportunity is for TPS – not in the $20 fee.

Remember, when you have 100 sellers trying to sell their wares, there will be 1000 buyers looking for a deal. At that point, nobody will complain about the $20 fee.
Good thinking
Old 11-22-2010, 11:27 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Default What about the "small" sellers?

Any thoughts about how to handle the folks who may have only a few items to sell? It probably wouldn't be worth $20 to bring just a couple of items to sell.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:51 AM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bet someone could do well as a consignment seller. For example, I have a handful of items I wouldn't mind selling, but I don't think it would be worth it for me to set a booth/table, etc and hang out all day. However, if I could drop something off and let a seller take say 10%, would be worth it to me.

I would definitely come to a meet once in a while as a shopper.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:22 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by doje

Dave,

I think your feedback makes alot of sense but I'm limited to the amount of booths I can have because of space constraints. I'm targeting about 50-60 booths and would like to get 20 business sellers to commit to the swap meet. In the last week I've placed several calls to various auto related businesses and have already gotten 5 commitments for coming out with a booth I've also gotten ALOT of interest from non-business sellers. I think we should have 50 sellers pretty easy. I also don't want to overwhelm myself for the 1st swap meet.... I want to make sure we do it right and everyone is happy with the results and attendance. I plan on doing ALOT of marketing in the next 2 months to let people know about the Swap Meet.

Get notified of new replies

To Possible New Auto Swap Meet... need feedback

Old 11-22-2010, 12:25 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Any thoughts about how to handle the folks who may have only a few items to sell? It probably wouldn't be worth $20 to bring just a couple of items to sell.
I was thinking about this and the best thing to do is probably partner up with someone to share a booth so the total is only $10 per person. I don't think that would be an issue... I'd like to get as many people as possible to come out and sell stuff so I don't want to exclude people if I don't have to.

Originally Posted by C6DuffMan
I bet someone could do well as a consignment seller. For example, I have a handful of items I wouldn't mind selling, but I don't think it would be worth it for me to set a booth/table, etc and hang out all day. However, if I could drop something off and let a seller take say 10%, would be worth it to me.

I would definitely come to a meet once in a while as a shopper.
I think you are right... I bet you you can hook up with some other CF member and strike a deal with him or her
Old 11-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Steve@RSD
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Mike,
I might be interested. I wonder what size booth you are talking about? 10'X10' or larger?
OF course If I sold parts there you would benefit from installs....So maybe we should talk...

Steve
Old 11-22-2010, 11:59 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Steve@RSD
Mike,
I might be interested. I wonder what size booth you are talking about? 10'X10' or larger?
OF course If I sold parts there you would benefit from installs....So maybe we should talk...

Steve
Standard booth spaces would be 10x10 or can be bigger if need be. Give me a call if you would like to talk about coming out

Quick Reply: Possible New Auto Swap Meet... need feedback