Northern California Northern California

Looks like TEDDY needs a new motor. HAHA

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Pontiaker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by teddyca
Hey now thats a low blow. While it IS a show car I do also drive it. I tried my best to build the best of both worlds that I could afford. This happened because I was DRIVING the car. Plus everytime it gets on a tow truck the bumper gets scratched. HAHA I might just chase after a stock cube 480HP car we will see.
Just saw in a mag ad that GM sells a LS series 454! Thats a big small block! Lingenfelter does a 455ci engine, they or some other mail order crate engine shortblock would be an easy swap out....
Old 09-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey now thats a low blow. While it IS a show car I do also drive it. I tried my best to build the best of both worlds that I could afford. This happened because I was DRIVING the car. Plus everytime it gets on a tow truck the bumper gets scratched. HAHA I might just chase after a stock cube 480HP car we will see.
You know it wasnt meant as a low blow Teddy. Everyone has razzed you for years for it being a garage queen...And yes you have been driving it more this year!
Old 09-10-2010, 07:49 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Received 425 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06supercharged
You know it wasnt meant as a low blow Teddy. Everyone has razzed you for years for it being a garage queen...And yes you have been driving it more this year!
HAHA No worries I can take it. I know my role around here. I drove it more these last 6 moths then I drove it all last year.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Default This really hurts

Hey Teddy - There must be something in the air. I just toasted number 7 & 8 pistons on a 98 degree day at Thunderhill. The engine should be torn apart next Tuesday but today Dito Motors in SSF pointed out two small cracks in the block and the bell housing. Don't know for sure but it might have thrown a rod. Guess that puts an end to an exchange short block or rebuilding my existing short block.

I too wish I knew more about engines but I don't. Yet I agree with the comments you have received. Take your time and plan out what you really want and need. It's only money. At least neither of us were hurt.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:34 AM
FastGhost
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Methanol
Old 09-18-2010, 10:59 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Default get on with it

Thanks for the heads up guys. At this point I need to pull the rack and see if I can slowly turn over the motor and look for valvetrain movement. I have so many decisions right now. Not sure I am will to spend what it will take to get to 500 NA but I guess if I can find another 20 from a fast and new TB I would be super stoked. I really need to see what happened. Part of me wants to just sit back for a couple months and slowly build a 427 but then I would need new heads/cam. I want to figure out what the BEST motor for my heads is now. Time to shop. HAHA
Others have said this in one way or another, but, your heads could already be toast. My recommendation is to pull the timing cover without moving the crank - figuring out what is wrong will eliminate the possibility of more damage.

So all this talk about what to do (I mean you've been for almost two weeks now and it should only take 4 or so hours to find out) is meaningless until you find out what happened.

My 2 cents......
Old 09-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Exotica
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Teddy,

Got your voice message and left you one back this weekend. Definitely go cubes! I know it's a cliche, but there is no replacement for displacement.

Don't recall what your budget is but here is one for sale on the forum. It has the power you're looking for and includes everything but the oil pump, covers, and an intake:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...ong-block.html
Old 09-21-2010, 04:58 AM
inoyourtrippn
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-21-2010, 01:42 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

I am way to lazy to do this in a few hours. HAHA Actually I spent some time Thursday and pulled the pass head. I need to jack up the car and get the drivers side header out of the way but I am sure everything is toast. 2 valves floated on the the pass side and snapped in half. Wrecked mtt Lingenfelter heads and all. Whatever I am going with cubes like Tom recommended. I dont want to spend $6500 but who knows.

Originally Posted by pcguy2u
Others have said this in one way or another, but, your heads could already be toast. My recommendation is to pull the timing cover without moving the crank - figuring out what is wrong will eliminate the possibility of more damage.

So all this talk about what to do (I mean you've been for almost two weeks now and it should only take 4 or so hours to find out) is meaningless until you find out what happened.

My 2 cents......
Old 09-21-2010, 07:26 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I am way to lazy to do this in a few hours. HAHA Actually I spent some time Thursday and pulled the pass head. I need to jack up the car and get the drivers side header out of the way but I am sure everything is toast. 2 valves floated on the the pass side and snapped in half. Wrecked mtt Lingenfelter heads and all. Whatever I am going with cubes like Tom recommended. I dont want to spend $6500 but who knows.

Unfortunately, cubes cost. I don't think you can do a good H/C/I 402 or bigger for $6500....gonna be more in the 8-10k range
Old 09-21-2010, 07:31 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Yeah I am completely torn by this. I know I dont want to spend $10K on this car. Hell I might just get sick of it, and part it out. Who knows. Everything is still up in the air. Fortunately I am not in a big hurry.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Morzoff
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tlove32
One word...... B-O-O-S-T
Sorry about your motor Teddy

T,
Been there done that!

I would go huge cubes, heads, cam!!!!!

Mike
Old 09-22-2010, 10:46 AM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Thanks Mike- Sad part is the car has sat in the garage for over a week with one head off. I just dont have any real desire to mess with it right now. I think I was burnt out of the car before this. I might slap a LS6 back in it with a nice heads cam package and just sell the car.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:43 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Thanks Mike- Sad part is the car has sat in the garage for over a week with one head off. I just dont have any real desire to mess with it right now. I think I was burnt out of the car before this. I might slap a LS6 back in it with a nice heads cam package and just sell the car.
If you are going to sell, put a STOCK LS6 in it. Heads and cam will cost you more and reduce the resale value. I would just look for a used but running LS6.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:42 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Fret not my friend. Remember - you do enjoy the car, you just hate when it's broke. I know exactly how you're feeling now - I just went thru this last year when I lunched my #7 piston after the blower install.

Take a step back.......be very patient.....plan wisely, and get the car back to where you want it. It took 6 months of downtime, but now I'm finally able to enjoy mine....and 589rwhp certainly helps
Old 09-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Steve@RSD
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by tlove32
Fret not my friend. Remember - you do enjoy the car, you just hate when it's broke. I know exactly how you're feeling now - I just went thru this last year when I lunched my #7 piston after the blower install.

Take a step back.......be very patient.....plan wisely, and get the car back to where you want it. It took 6 months of downtime, but now I'm finally able to enjoy mine....and 589rwhp certainly helps
T,
You are enjoying your car? I thought I just saw it at Able today....How much you enjoying that! J/K

Why is your car with Richie Rich?
Old 09-23-2010, 08:17 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,426 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Steve@RSD
T,
You are enjoying your car? I thought I just saw it at Able today....How much you enjoying that! J/K

Why is your car with Richie Rich?
Fuel tank recall for it leaking gas while filling up. The X-over pipe and left hand tank were leaking at the connection. Tank came in yesterday cracked from UPS so I had to re-order in hopes of getting Monday. Should only take a day or so to wrap it up once the undamaged parts arrive.

Get notified of new replies

To Looks like TEDDY needs a new motor. HAHA

Old 09-23-2010, 10:48 PM
briann510
Melting Slicks

So you towed your car over there just for the fuel tank recall? Or are they also fixing the bad head/engine as well?

Last edited by briann510; 09-23-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:41 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by briann510
So you towed your car over there just for the fuel tank recall? Or are they also fixing the bad head/engine as well?
I think that response was o Terrance - not to Teddy.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:25 AM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by doje
I think that response was o Terrance - not to Teddy.
Ah yea I think you are correct....

Quick Reply: Looks like TEDDY needs a new motor. HAHA