Northern California Northern California

No Front Plate Ticket Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 02:09 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Didn't mean for this to become a potpourri of mounting ideas. I found my holder and it has three screw brackets on the back. I can put sticky tape on them and be good for the inspection. Then can easily pull it at will.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:38 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMSC62006
Years ago you did not need a front plate if your car was manufactured without one. I drove my old 94 vette over 100,000 miles and never got pulled over for a plate. Now with my C6 i am waiting for that day when I will need to get this plate holder. I guess it all comes done to revenue. The state is broke and will look for revenue everywhere i guess.
The State of Chaos has lost its credit rating and is broke.
They will be out there ticketing for all kinds minor vehicle code violations
Old 07-12-2010, 02:45 PM
C2Dan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
Are they looking for a permanent screwed in mount or can I get away with some velcro on the body and the plate mount?
When I went to get my fix-it ticket signed off, the Police Department clerk gave a good tug at my front license plate to make sure that it had been installed solidly. Velcro would not have worked with her. In any case, around here they are so aggressive that you really do want a front plate whenever you park the car.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:28 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

For what it is worth I received my "court appearance info" today The fine is $183 W/O Correction or $25 W Correction.
Court Appearance simply means if I want to contest it show up on Aug 15th, if not pay the fine of my choice.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:38 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

For what it is worth I received my "court appearance info" today The fine is $183 W/O Correction or $25 W Correction.
Court Appearance simply means if I want to contest it show up on Aug 15th, if not pay the fine of my choice.
Is it different by each county? Because I never got that option I had to pay the fine and get it fixed. There was no option to pay a higher fee without correction. But issuing agency was CHP.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:30 PM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Your description about the incident sounds about right. An officer would be hard-pressed to cite someone just for no front plate unless there was more to the story. It is a DMV violation, so LEO's usually use it as probable cause for a traffic stop and investigation into CDL status and possible warrants.

Administrative Fees (court clerk's office) were once $20 at least throughout Santa Clara County. I am sure they have gone up there as well. The other fee is a sign off fee. Most agencies used to require a $20 sign off fee first. One would go to the police station, pay the fee and an LEO would be dispatched to meet you in the lot, inspect the vehicle and sign off the fix-it ticket. Then the administrative court fee would be handled at the court clerk's office. There are/were some agencies that did not charge a sign-off fee, for instance Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office and Morgan Hill. May have changed by now. Don't recall CHP's policy. Any CA peace officer--city or state-- may sign it off for you.

If you catch an officer after his lunch break and he is not responding to a call, he may do it as a courtesy and the sign-off fee might be waived.

By law, the plate must be properly secured--no tape, etc. If the LEO signs it off for you like that, he is giving you a break so please thank him.

Good luck and sorry that my dollar figures may be dated.

Last edited by vetteuphoria; 07-17-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

I took the car in today and the officer was really great. I secured the original front bracket, by drilling 2 holes in each dimple and securing the bracket with zip ties run through the grill. The bracket spans the opening and is not all that bad.
As he was walking towards me, he says - Your kidding a front plate fixit on a Corvette. Who would do that? Man, that really looks bad, as he is signing me off. Then he says, I would never write a front ticket plate for a Corvette, what happened? I proceed to tel the story, and he says, ya if you draw attention to yourself some guys will write you up for something, but I have to tell you, that looks really bad
He handed me the ticket back and said have a good day.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:48 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

I took the car in today and the officer was really great. I secured the original front bracket, by drilling 2 holes in each dimple and securing the bracket with zip ties run through the grill. The bracket spans the opening and is not all that bad.
As he was walking towards me, he says - Your kidding a front plate fixit on a Corvette. Who would do that? Man, that really looks bad, as he is signing me off. Then he says, I would never write a front ticket plate for a Corvette, what happened? I proceed to tel the story, and he says, ya if you draw attention to yourself some guys will write you up for something, but I have to tell you, that looks really bad
He handed me the ticket back and said have a good day.
Officer of what dept. signed off?
The CHP sucks they give you tickets for every minor thing. My encounters with them is that they are robotic. There is no explaining or talking to them which is a waste of time-My time. Just accept the ticket and go to court and get it admonished works most of the time depending on violation.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:28 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

CHP in San Jose
Old 07-30-2010, 07:32 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

CHP in San Jose
I went to the sheriff and they didn't even care or give it a look.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

The only thing you have to keep in mind is that the state will now have a record of your car not having a front plate, If you fix it and then remove it you will really be screwed when the next ticket comes around. You won't be able to fight it.
JMO.
Mr.Bill
Old 08-01-2010, 03:01 PM
ladydarkhorse
Heel & Toe

A young lady(This isn't OT so don't ask for pics of said young lady ) got a No Front Plate Ticket while driving my car up in Tahoe.
So question of the day is - Are they looking for a permanent screwed in mount or can I get away with some velcro on the body and the plate mount?
I got one a few years ago. I bought the front piece that just velcroes under the lip of the bumper on the C6. Mid America or Eckler's carries it, very cheap. Kept it in the side box in the coupe. CHP signed it off very quickly and warned me. It was all good! Good luck!
Old 08-01-2010, 05:34 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ladydarkhorse
I got one a few years ago. I bought the front piece that just velcroes under the lip of the bumper on the C6. Mid America or Eckler's carries it, very cheap. Kept it in the side box in the coupe. CHP signed it off very quickly and warned me. It was all good! Good luck!
And then you removed the front plate?
Or is it now a permanent fixture on Corvette?
Or just keep the plate in the car?
Old 08-03-2010, 04:46 PM
ladydarkhorse
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by LS WON
And then you removed the front plate?
Or is it now a permanent fixture on Corvette?
Or just keep the plate in the car?
No, I removed it and the plate stayed in the car on the device. Then I can just tell the cop I have it and just came from a car show and then asseble it quickly in front of him and ergo no fix it ticket!
Old 08-03-2010, 04:50 PM
ladydarkhorse
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by cj5v6
There are a couple of suppliers out there that have removable plate holders for Z06's. I got one that mounts center of grill. Double coat tape to hold the mount to inside upper surface of grill opening. Plate holder attatches to this with 2 wing nuts. Looks ugly on. But, can be removed in seconds. Notthing shows when plate removed. Looks good then. Will satisfy the law. Got mine from Top Flight Reporductions. Part # 0010003-3. Price about $129.00.
That's the one I had on my C6 Vert. I sold it with the vehicle. Hope I don't need another one!
Old 08-07-2010, 06:04 PM
STINGRAY1WORD
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The solution is the hide away plate. They come both electric or manual.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7PG1Eg3wy8&NR=1
Old 08-07-2010, 06:55 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ladydarkhorse
No, I removed it and the plate stayed in the car on the device. Then I can just tell the cop I have it and just came from a car show and then asseble it quickly in front of him and ergo no fix it ticket!
That will be a judgement call the officer (of whatever agency) will have to make.

Get notified of new replies

To No Front Plate Ticket Question

Old 08-07-2010, 06:57 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by STINGRAY1WORD
The solution is the hide away plate. They come both electric or manual.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7PG1Eg3wy8&NR=1
I have this
Old 09-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Gromit3860
Intermediate

I believe that if a Corvette owner/driver obeys the traffic codes and does nothing to attract the attention of law enforcement he/she could drive without a front plate with no problems. Frequently after being stopped for some other relatively minor violation that would normally result in a verbal warning, the driver fails the "personality test" and the officer then finds something to write up. The best rules when stopped are a) be polite, b) never argue, c) don't start blabbing; volunteer nothing, just answer any questions. This is based on my many years being on the "writing" end of the pen. You can only dig yourself in deeper with an "attitude"!
Old 09-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gromit3860
I believe that if a Corvette owner/driver obeys the traffic codes and does nothing to attract the attention of law enforcement he/she could drive without a front plate with no problems. Frequently after being stopped for some other relatively minor violation that would normally result in a verbal warning, the driver fails the "personality test" and the officer then finds something to write up. The best rules when stopped are a) be polite, b) never argue, c) don't start blabbing; volunteer nothing, just answer any questions. This is based on my many years being on the "writing" end of the pen. You can only dig yourself in deeper with an "attitude"!
Know about the argue portion, many moons ago I was car pooling with a guy, doing 65 mph and I jumped out of the car pool lane and back in to go around a very slow beat to hell Corolla. Forgot to use the turn signal. I spot a CHP tracking me and slowly closing in. Got pulled over and he asked me if I knew why. I had no idea, so he said we did not use a turn signal, and accelerated above the speed limit when passing the Toyota. I started to say yes he was right, I failed to use the signal. The guy in the passenger seat starts arguing with him that we were not speeding, and BAM I get a ticket for 5 mph over.

Quick Reply: No Front Plate Ticket Question