Northern California Northern California

Interesting Email I had today. Am I wrong or what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 03:01 AM
jrblaw08Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
I was thinking "BMW driver" (it's a joke! (sort of))

Z//
No it's true, I have a BMW, that's how I knew what this creature was, it takes a boob to know a boob
Old 03-18-2010, 03:52 AM
FF1wms
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

I doubt if he even has a vette.............Tell him you'll do everything for $100 Sat night.........then, when he gets there......Beat the crap out of him.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:39 AM
Wicked_Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by doje
Last, $100 for an oil change? Really?
I quoted Jiffy Lube recently, and they wanted $89 for Syn 530 oil change, and an overtightened filter.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:53 AM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

[QUOTE=FF1wms;1573459864]I doubt if he even has a vette.............Tell him you'll do everything for $100 Sat night.........then, when he gets there......Beat the crap out of him. [/QUOTE

LOL! I think you did all you could,and were very nice about it. All money aint good money,its better that he goes some where else.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:27 AM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There will always be a small percentage of your customers you can't make happy. Maybe this guy was having a bad day or maybe he's a jerk. The trick is to send him to someone else in a subtle way so he doesn't rag on you to everyone he knows. Just one of the many joys of owning a shop
Old 03-18-2010, 11:44 AM
CA C6 Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
To be honest, I would not carry an email conversation this far, I would have asked for a phone number and called the "potential" customer.
With the weather FINALLY changing, I am getting one to two Email inquiries a day about what services I offer. If it is not someone I am very familiar with, I ask for a phone number and call them up. Then, if requested, send them an Email to my website that allows them to see the written word and schedule an appointment on line if they like.

Certainly not an epic fail by any stretch, but a phone call would have been better IMO.

This is what I would have done. It sounds like all they wanted was to set things up on their own terms. When you didn't do that, they went postal on you.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Red Dwarf
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Remember "Nick" The customer is always right!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:53 AM
CupertinoZ06
Drifting

sounds like a little 5 year old whiner who didn't get his candy I think you were handling this just fine and "potential customer" overreacted. You said you would accomodate him but you were just trying show him a more reasonable course of action.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:06 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I am staying out of it in fear that I might know who this was.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:13 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
I am staying out of it in fear that I might know who this was.
Come on Richie, spill the beans
Old 03-18-2010, 12:54 PM
knkali
Melting Slicks

no Richie, I never met Nick or e-mailed him
Old 03-18-2010, 01:27 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I didn't find anything in your responses to be insulting or otherwise. End communication with said potential customer asap............
Old 03-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Nick@Newtech
Burning Brakes

Thanks for your replies everyone, I know comunication is lost in typed text, but this was the communication method the person chose, so you would think they would know how it goes. I do agree that a phone call is more personable, but for a simple fluid service, I figured I could get the facts accross well enough to not have to make a phone call.

When someone wants to do a twenty five thousand dollar build on their car the first thing I do is ask for a phone number.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Exotica
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
I would have asked for a phone number and called the "potential" customer....
...Certainly not an epic fail by any stretch, but a phone call would have been better IMO.

Originally Posted by doje
Well, I've got to say that the customer over-reacted - big time. On the other hand, your advice should have accompanied an answer to his twice-asked question.

Originally Posted by Paul Ruggeri
There will always be a small percentage of your customers you can't make happy. Maybe this guy was having a bad day or maybe he's a jerk. The trick is to send him to someone else in a subtle way so he doesn't rag on you to everyone he knows. Just one of the many joys of owning a shop

The only thing I would say is that this potential customer does have a point that you didn't answer a couple of his questions (the type of oil and Saturday appts) and that may have agravated him due to the appearance that you were being vague or evasive. That can set some people off.

I don't think you did anything wrong, but remember there are all kinds of people in this world and some of them feel if they are asking you to perform routine service, they don't need yours (or anyone else's) input. Right, wrong or indifferent, that is just the way some people are.

He seemed to take things a bit personally, but that is often the nature of the Internet when there is no personal feeling behind your statements. A phone call would have allowed you to display more sincereity (through tone, inflections, passion, etc.) which all get lost in black and white text.

Good luck.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:54 PM
0SMOKNC6Z06
Former Vendor

Hey Nick,
I am still waiting for a response to my email to you about my oil and coolant change!
JK, Keep up the good work, we all know your excellent reputation.
Terry
Old 03-18-2010, 03:03 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

People in general are not very intelligent, even if they think that they are. Money seems to have an influence on how often they believe that they are "right".

Nick you gave it a go, your only possible fault being to not confirm a Saturday appointment option.

Some people you have to spoon feed and hand hold, part of retail/dealing with the public.

G'luck
Fej
Old 03-18-2010, 03:24 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will preface this by saying that I have a great deal of respect for Nick. He helped me fix a warm start problem with my LS2 after I had struggled with it for months, he helped me fix a similar problem with the LS7 transplant that I did for the guy in AZ and more recently, helped me out with some used cats for the Trans Am I was trying to get smogged.

With that out of the way I think you blew it right here Nick:

Originally Posted by Nick@Newtech

To: "Potential customer"
Subject: RE: Hi Nick
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 15:44:10 -0700

Yes, but why does your coolant need to be done now? If its due to milage I am sure it can wait till your oil change is due to get it done. Either way let me know.

Given the current state of the economy (along with knowing how peculiar and particular Corvettes owners can sometimes be) I think your response should have been something along the lines of this:

Yes, it'd be $150 to do the coolant swap and I have Saturday hours by appointment. What time would you like to come in?

Granted, it's only $150 (or $200 if you did both) but I think most of you are missing the bigger picture - the guy gets his coolant changed, starts talking to Nick and takes a liking to him, sees some of the cool cars he has in the shop and the next thing you know Nick's giving him a quote for a heads and cam swap or even better, a blower!

In addition, this guy is probably now going around telling all his friends about the conversation and recommending that they don't ever do business with Nick, instead of giving him a favorable review.

Just my .02.

Christopher

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting Email I had today. Am I wrong or what?

Old 03-18-2010, 08:20 PM
jrblaw08Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by thesubfloor
I will preface this by saying that I have a great deal of respect for Nick. He helped me fix a warm start problem with my LS2 after I had struggled with it for months, he helped me fix a similar problem with the LS7 transplant that I did for the guy in AZ and more recently, helped me out with some used cats for the Trans Am I was trying to get smogged.

With that out of the way I think you blew it right here Nick:

Given the current state of the economy (along with knowing how peculiar and particular Corvettes owners can sometimes be) I think your response should have been something along the lines of this:

Yes, it'd be $150 to do the coolant swap and I have Saturday hours by appointment. What time would you like to come in?

Granted, it's only $150 (or $200 if you did both) but I think most of you are missing the bigger picture - the guy gets his coolant changed, starts talking to Nick and takes a liking to him, sees some of the cool cars he has in the shop and the next thing you know Nick's giving him a quote for a heads and cam swap or even better, a blower!

In addition, this guy is probably now going around telling all his friends about the conversation and recommending that they don't ever do business with Nick, instead of giving him a favorable review.

Just my .02.

Christopher
This is of course another way of looking at it, and I most certainly respect your point of view, and your approach here. My problem, is that it would necessitate accomodating and enabling rudeness. Nick was trying to help the guy out by letting him know a few extra miles on the coolant wasn't going to hurt anything, and that he would be saving money by combining the services. All the guy had to do was reply with like courtesy, and say that he wanted to do them at different times, for whatever reason(s).

I do not think Nick could have handled this any better. Sure he could have taken his money, but that seems to be missing the point. By posting it like this here, the dude has the opportunity to maybe see that his behaviour is not civilized, welcome, friendly, or acceptable. Of course, it might not do any good at all, he may think everyone is wrong, and his response is legitimate, and that because he is furnishing money for the services he has the right to behave however he damn well pleases. I applaud nick for posting this and handling things in this particular fashion, I myself hope i could have reacted in like fashion, i may have insulted him back, which wouldn't have done anybody any good.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:22 PM
jrblaw08Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by SMOKNC6Z06
Hey Nick,
I am still waiting for a response to my email to you about my oil and coolant change!
JK, Keep up the good work, we all know your excellent reputation.
Terry
Vendors supporting other vendors speaks volumes about character.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotica

The only thing I would say is that this potential customer does have a point that you didn't answer a couple of his questions (the type of oil and Saturday appts) and that may have agravated him due to the appearance that you were being vague or evasive. That can set some people off.

I don't think you did anything wrong, but remember there are all kinds of people in this world and some of them feel if they are asking you to perform routine service, they don't need yours (or anyone else's) input. Right, wrong or indifferent, that is just the way some people are.

He seemed to take things a bit personally, but that is often the nature of the Internet when there is no personal feeling behind your statements. A phone call would have allowed you to display more sincereity (through tone, inflections, passion, etc.) which all get lost in black and white text.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Interesting Email I had today. Am I wrong or what?