Northern California Northern California

Laguna Seca March - 4

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:09 AM
haikun
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Laguna Seca March - 4

OK I managed to get to Laguna Seca with Trackmaster this thursday and have posted the first cuts of that days event. Wet start and I did not dare to try any Apex apart from T6 and the corkscrew, they warned us since they were wet and apparently doesn't dry up that easy.

No earth shattering times for sure but had some good sessions anyway. I ran in a mixed group where open passing and point by was mixed, any car with a dot in the "a##" could not be passed without a point by, no point open passing so it was my first experience with at least partial open passing, must say I like it apart from a few ego guys who never would budge and let people pass, especially a porche and one AMG Merc Most of the others were very easy and helped out making passing pretty easy.

Video is at (sorry, i forgot to secure the strap for the camera once more so it's bouncing around quite a bit)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_BRte9E7lU

Cheers, Hakan
Old 03-07-2010, 09:04 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for sharing, nice line, considering that you are trying to stay off berms in
the first session. Slow cars and unaware drivers are always a problem but good
chance to nail the line and practice closing through the corner so you are set up
to nail it when you get to go.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:56 AM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by haikun
OK I managed to get to Laguna Seca with Trackmaster this thursday and have posted the first cuts of that days event. Wet start and I did not dare to try any Apex apart from T6 and the corkscrew, they warned us since they were wet and apparently doesn't dry up that easy.

No earth shattering times for sure but had some good sessions anyway. I ran in a mixed group where open passing and point by was mixed, any car with a dot in the "a##" could not be passed without a point by, no point open passing so it was my first experience with at least partial open passing, must say I like it apart from a few ego guys who never would budge and let people pass, especially a porche and one AMG Merc Most of the others were very easy and helped out making passing pretty easy.

Video is at (sorry, i forgot to secure the strap for the camera once more so it's bouncing around quite a bit)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_BRte9E7lU

Cheers, Hakan
Looks like you had fun Some people just feel that they shouldn't be passed no matter how slow they are going. It even happens in SCCA racing, they will ignore the flaggers who are telling them a faster car is overtaking and just make things difficult and dangerous.

Larry
Old 03-07-2010, 03:54 PM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job Hak. I like how you got the rear view mirror in the shot
Did the car losing pieces get black flagged?
Old 03-07-2010, 06:18 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 911's ability to drop weight on the fly was fantastic! I wish my car could do that!
Old 03-07-2010, 06:23 PM
haikun
Racer

Originally Posted by Paul Ruggeri
Nice job Hak. I like how you got the rear view mirror in the shot
Did the car losing pieces get black flagged?
Hi Paul,

No flag which kind of surprised me, I could hear when it bounced around on the track

Can also add I wasn't the fastest around the track, We had an Atom in the group and it was pretty "quick" . A Nissan GTR also hauled around but stayed out of its way since that person seemed to put all trust in the computers ability to handle the sutuations so backed off whenever he came around !

Spent my first session bedding in new brake rotors so spent most time behind some miatas, pretty interesting to follow thier line as well

/Hakan

Last edited by haikun; 03-07-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:30 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice vid Hak. Good to see you made it out and had a good track day . One of my gto buddies was out there in his turbo miata (white) running in the low 1:44's with a best lap of 1:43.9. Those cars handle like go-karts and if they manage to get some power to the wheels and maybe some aero they can be very fast. I still remember being passed by that one miata at T-hill that was turning 1:47 laps over the top of 5 .
Old 03-07-2010, 11:54 PM
haikun
Racer

Originally Posted by redtopz
Nice vid Hak. Good to see you made it out and had a good track day . One of my gto buddies was out there in his turbo miata (white) running in the low 1:44's with a best lap of 1:43.9. Those cars handle like go-karts and if they manage to get some power to the wheels and maybe some aero they can be very fast. I still remember being passed by that one miata at T-hill that was turning 1:47 laps over the top of 5 .
Hi Bill.

Yes I was glad since I missed the NCRC event the week before. Tried different approaches to T2 and seems as going a bit deeper before turning into T2 increases the speed out of T2, but opens up for other guys to try to pass on the inside, so I guess it all depends on the situation

Your friend probably ran in the "Advanced" group (open passing) since all the Miata's we had in our group (at least the ones I saw) was probably running between 1:50-2:00 + lap times.

Overall a good crew I must say so will try them again for sure.

How are things going with Your car ? hopefully got your leaks / shocks worked out soon !
, Hakan
Old 03-08-2010, 12:08 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Well when I saw all the tranny/diff fluid all over I thought something was wrong. And my diff case was pretty low on fluid. But after filling it up and driving around on the street I think everything is OK (I hope). I think I just overheated the fluids and they boiled/spilled out of the vents. As far as springs, I'm going to remove and sell my pfadt coilovers and go with LG coilovers for now. They have a much stiffer front spring and the bilstiens are set up to match. I've been happy with the pfadts, but I'm ready to try something different and stiffen up my front end. I want to go to BW on March 18th with Speed Ventures if you can make it. Hopefully Nik will be ready to go by then also.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which tires were you running? What is your next event?
Old 03-08-2010, 01:03 AM
choivette
Burning Brakes

Real nice Hak, that Porsche looks familiar. Also another red one did the same to me. Will pm you later and let you know what's going on.Thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 01:28 AM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

must say I like it apart from a few ego guys who never would budge and let people pass, especially a porche and one AMG Merc Most of the others were very easy and helped out making passing pretty easy.
Drivers who intentionally prevent people who are faster just makes things more dangerous for everyone else....
Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Old 03-08-2010, 01:49 AM
haikun
Racer

Well when I saw all the tranny/diff fluid all over I thought something was wrong. And my diff case was pretty low on fluid. But after filling it up and driving around on the street I think everything is OK (I hope). I think I just overheated the fluids and they boiled/spilled out of the vents. As far as springs, I'm going to remove and sell my pfadt coilovers and go with LG coilovers for now. They have a much stiffer front spring and the bilstiens are set up to match. I've been happy with the pfadts, but I'm ready to try something different and stiffen up my front end. I want to go to BW on March 18th with Speed Ventures if you can make it. Hopefully Nik will be ready to go by then also.
Think you started a thread in auotx-roadrace section where people stated that C5 likes getting exhaust rear portion to be wrapped to try to shield the tranny/diff from exhaust heat, will probably try that since i the underside of my tranny look pretty ugly (could also be a result of my previous steering pump / water pump spewing fluids which mostly ended up beneath the car

Not sure when Niklas will get his car ready, working on some insurance claim for transport damage

Not sure when the next event will be for me, hopefully not to far out. Need to check and see what happens at Laguna / Thunderhill (still have a bit of respect for Infineon )

Hakan
Old 03-08-2010, 01:52 AM
haikun
Racer

Originally Posted by Sidney004
Which tires were you running? What is your next event?
Hossier R100's the one I got hold of through You ! They seems to like heat better then the R6's but took a bit of time for me to heat up (track was cold as well, pretty slippery when cold !)

They also seems to hold up pretty well, should be god for 2-3 more track days as things looks, will definitely look for more of these

/Hakan
Old 03-08-2010, 08:56 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Think you started a thread in auotx-roadrace section where people stated that C5 likes getting exhaust rear portion to be wrapped to try to shield the tranny/diff from exhaust heat, will probably try that since i the underside of my tranny look pretty ugly (could also be a result of my previous steering pump / water pump spewing fluids which mostly ended up beneath the car

Not sure when Niklas will get his car ready, working on some insurance claim for transport damage

Not sure when the next event will be for me, hopefully not to far out. Need to check and see what happens at Laguna / Thunderhill (still have a bit of respect for Infineon )

Hakan
Yeah, I've had my exhaust wrapped for over a year. It helps I think, but the sessions I was doing at LS were pretty long. Let me know when you guys are going out again. Buttonwillow is a pretty fun track with lots of runoff like T-hill.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:58 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I've had my exhaust wrapped for over a year. It helps I think, but the sessions I was doing at LS were pretty long. Let me know when you guys are going out again. Buttonwillow is a pretty fun track with lots of runoff like T-hill.
Sears Point, March 26th to 28th. Most of us are going on Saturday the 27th. See the Track Days schedule web site for all the details.

Get notified of new replies

To Laguna Seca March - 4

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca March - 4