Northern California Northern California

Antioch Bridge closed today

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:52 PM
corvettepete
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Muddywaters
Sounds like an excellet day... besides not having a line in but, can relate Regarding, swim,sun and the heat...Oh yea!. Boats and space...ummmm, very nice! I can visualize desolate tropical islands

Yea, made out like a fat rat Now just have to start dumping cash Hey, we have a pretty contempory bass boat down here...and lately have been hitting Clear Lake. But, we've been comtemplataing the Delta. Any suggestions? Our main target is Large Mouth

Regarding the Santana....we're also thinking of trailering her up to Alameda this summer, cruise the SF Bay, Sausalito, Tiberon,ect. then head up the Delta. We have not researched this yet....but any suggestions? I was informed in Alameda...the prevailing wind is (NE), so makes for a nice down wind sail up the Delta...it was also suggested, to arrange truck & trailer to be moved up river...so as to trailer back...again, any suggestions? Were thinking on the lines of 7 to 10 days for the cruise Muddy
Muddy, I'd check out this delta website for everything you want to know re cruising a sail boat and fishing.

http://www.californiadelta.org/

I'm just a part time, fair weather fisherman so really could't help with that. I also know that taking a sail boat to the delta is much different then a power boat due to the depth requirements and mast. Alot of the delta is off limits because of that. The main anchorages and deep water channel, should work though. It can be a real tough going from the bay to the delta due to choppy water and weather - especially in a small boat like the Santana. Due your homework first. Wherever you end up, would keep it an option to meet for a raftup. The delta website should help alot. If you decide to haul out your boat at Oxbow where I keep my boat, for the trip back, would help and it would not cost you anything.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:24 AM
Muddywaters
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettepete
Muddy, I'd check out this delta website for everything you want to know re cruising a sail boat and fishing.

http://www.californiadelta.org/

I'm just a part time, fair weather fisherman so really could't help with that. I also know that taking a sail boat to the delta is much different then a power boat due to the depth requirements and mast. Alot of the delta is off limits because of that. The main anchorages and deep water channel, should work though. It can be a real tough going from the bay to the delta due to choppy water and weather - especially in a small boat like the Santana. Due your homework first. Wherever you end up, would keep it an option to meet for a raftup. The delta website should help alot. If you decide to haul out your boat at Oxbow where I keep my boat, for the trip back, would help and it would not cost you anything.
Pete, hey thanks for the input, insight and particularly the link to the web site. Very nice site I see charts coming my way, very soon!

Regarding home work...oh yea, certainly a must. Having said that, I do have a touch of history, been across the Alantic (pond),twice, both direstions. Lived and circumnavigated the Med for a couple of years. Sold that 47 foot galf yawl as we were transfered to Singapore(Oilpatch). From there, we picked up a CT 41 did a ton of cruising within the South China Sea until we decided to make our way across the Indian bound for W. Australia. We basically circumnavigated the Indian, as it took us 81 days. Great trip and beautiful memories...nothing like open ocean and the smell of fresh baked bread coming from the galley

Regarding the raft up...absolutely! Muddy

Last edited by Muddywaters; 03-03-2010 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:35 PM
corvettepete
Burning Brakes

Muddy, I would shovel an endless amount of shinola to go on trips like yours. Almost made it down to Mexico in a big Golfstar motorsailer owned by a friend of a friend, but it never happened. For now, cruising the delta in my 21' cuddy will have to suffice.

One more great source on anything boating (and fishing) for the bay and delta is the "Bay & Delta Yachtsman" magazine. I subscribe but many marinas, etc. may have free copies. Keep me posted re your pending trip.

http://www.recreationpublications.co...bbdyintro.html
Old 03-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Muddywaters
Melting Slicks

Muddy, I would shovel an endless amount of shinola to go on trips like yours. Almost made it down to Mexico in a big Golfstar motorsailer owned by a friend of a friend, but it never happened. For now, cruising the delta in my 21' cuddy will have to suffice.

One more great source on anything boating (and fishing) for the bay and delta is the "Bay & Delta Yachtsman" magazine. I subscribe but many marinas, etc. may have free copies. Keep me posted re your pending trip.

http://www.recreationpublications.co...bbdyintro.html
I think for sure...if you would have made that Mexico cruise...your boat today, would more than like'ly have a large stick protruding out of the deck. Needless to say, there all fun!. Something to be said about... being on a slight heal, and being quietly powered by Mother Nature...One thing for sure....if one luv's the water...one will luv the ocean! Something about the clarity, tranquility and vast openess that the medium engages, bliss for the lack of a better word.

Our plans, in another 5-6 years, is to dump everything here...acquire another 45 footer, then head for the South Pacific. The Santana's purpose is to get the First Mate accustomed to this enviroment, which I might add...she's difinatley seeing the light Lucky me...

Again Pete...thanks for the link and info I'll bet that mag has a site! Muddy

Ahhh, ic that latter link is their site!! TY!!

Last edited by Muddywaters; 03-03-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:43 AM
corvettepete
Burning Brakes

Your plan on hitting the seas full time in a few years sounds awsume.

I think if I ever did any long term cruising, it would be in a trawler. Have always liked trawlers and their classic looks - not to mention the fuel efficiency. If you read the Bay & Delta Yachtsman mag, one writer, Craig Hanson, deals strictly with fishing. Another, Kim Hayworth, with her husband, lives on a 40' trawler in the pensinula. She recently gave up living on a big Catalina sailboat for her current trawler. Both are local bay area celebrity types.

If you decide to check out the delta on the 'asphalt sloughs', any time soon, let me know. Can make for a great drive - especially in a Corvette! Lots to see and do up there. Spring can be the best time of year to cruise there. By summer, when the bugs come out of hibernation and the farmers start turning the soil, it really can trash a nice paint job. For that reason, I rarely take my Corvette there in the summer.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:07 AM
Muddywaters
Melting Slicks

Your plan on hitting the seas full time in a few years sounds awsume.

I think if I ever did any long term cruising, it would be in a trawler. Have always liked trawlers and their classic looks - not to mention the fuel efficiency. If you read the Bay & Delta Yachtsman mag, one writer, Craig Hanson, deals strictly with fishing. Another, Kim Hayworth, with her husband, lives on a 40' trawler in the pensinula. She recently gave up living on a big Catalina sailboat for her current trawler. Both are local bay area celebrity types.

If you decide to check out the delta on the 'asphalt sloughs', any time soon, let me know. Can make for a great drive - especially in a Corvette! Lots to see and do up there. Spring can be the best time of year to cruise there. By summer, when the bugs come out of hibernation and the farmers start turning the soil, it really can trash a nice paint job. For that reason, I rarely take my Corvette there in the summer.
If I was to go with a powerboat...it certainly would be a trawler...always liked them. I look at fishn' boats and smile. Something about their lines. Friend of mine, in Singapore (A NY'er) had a 65 footer(trawler), built out of teak in Malaysia...the planks were like 5 inchs thick! She was built like a tank and her lines were sweet Her wheel house ((front) was slanted and looked mean and strong. She had like 3 foot high gunnels all the way around, and nice large flat deck with a very large hatch in the middle. The living quaters were under the wheel house and to the stern. Forward was all hold! I wonder if he ever made his delivery Funny thing is, his ex Aussie wife, her name was Neva...she left mid way through the build, once completed, he painted her black and called her "Black Neva" LOL Good guy, hope he's fine and well

Asphalt sloughs huh...sounds interesting I wonder if we could get a whole string of C-3's up there? Where's my buddies at? LOL We were planing on hitting the Magic this year, but usually do not hang for the drags. Wonder if that Sunday would be a good day for the Ashpalt? Muddy
Old 03-06-2010, 02:25 PM
corvettepete
Burning Brakes

Muddy, if you know anybody selling an affordable Grand Banks, Nordhavn, Krogan, etc. let me know. I used to subscribe to "Passage Maker" magazine. Great reading for those into the trawler/cruising life - or dreaming about it.

The delta would make a great place to cruise a bunch of C3s. I've seen Corvette clubs up there before. The delta is actually a big cruising destination for bikers and hot rodders. Downtown Isleton and Rio Vista make great hangouts. You would want to be careful which roads you drive, though, because some are in pretty bad shape. I found that out fast with the Z51 suspension on my '99 coupe.

Pete
Old 03-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Muddywaters
Melting Slicks

Muddy, if you know anybody selling an affordable Grand Banks, Nordhavn, Krogan, etc. let me know. I used to subscribe to "Passage Maker" magazine. Great reading for those into the trawler/cruising life - or dreaming about it.

The delta would make a great place to cruise a bunch of C3s. I've seen Corvette clubs up there before. The delta is actually a big cruising destination for bikers and hot rodders. Downtown Isleton and Rio Vista make great hangouts. You would want to be careful which roads you drive, though, because some are in pretty bad shape. I found that out fast with the Z51 suspension on my '99 coupe.

Pete
Regarding affordable trawlers...I'll keep my eyes peeled. I know the Grand Banks well... American Marine in Singapore builds the GB and is where I took my CT-41, (before I headed for Australia), and had them rebuild my cabin surround out of teak. They did an excellent job. I was in that yard for probably 3 months. On the occasional break... I'd cruise the yard (line) and BS with the workers. The quality was excellent! Not too sure about the other models you mention...you might send PM (images) of what your looking for! Muddy

Last edited by Muddywaters; 03-09-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:38 PM
corvettepete
Burning Brakes

Was just kidding about the trawlers. Looks like my 21' Crownline cuddy is gonna have to suffice for a while. Just about the biggest 21' on the water, though. Have read alot of Grand Banks and their yard in Singapore. Nordhavn and Krogan are of equal quality to GB, aka top of the line. None easy on the wallet.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:40 AM
Muddywaters
Melting Slicks

Was just kidding about the trawlers. Looks like my 21' Crownline cuddy is gonna have to suffice for a while. Just about the biggest 21' on the water, though. Have read alot of Grand Banks and their yard in Singapore. Nordhavn and Krogan are of equal quality to GB, aka top of the line. None easy on the wallet.
LOL, I'll still keep an eye out...as there is some great deals out there right now... Muddy

Quick Reply: Antioch Bridge closed today