Northern California Northern California

Laguna Seca - Thursday 2/25/2010

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:07 AM
choivette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yea, I got some real good videos, especially coming around turn 11 for the first time in the morning. Got my "digging" done right off the bat so I wouldn,t have to be bothered with it. Many thanks to Sid for the ride, now I know how the good guys do it. Bob nice to meet you finally, I also need to remind everyone that I was on Sid's car when Bob passed him, ie dead weight. Paul I hope you get your car fixed, you baptised the parking lot. To cap my day off I took the wrong road to get out of the track, got flagged and yelled at, it never ends.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:11 AM
flink
Racer

Originally Posted by redtopz
How did the miata flip?
The story I heard was that he went off sideways in #9, skidded through the gravel and then entered mud and the wheels dug in.

There was no damage to the drivers side at all, from which I assume it did a half-roll and ended up upside-down.

I also heard that the driver stuck his hands "up" to protect his head and hurt them - he got some hand x-rays but nothing was broken.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:13 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sidney004
It finally happened, Bob was faster than me My best was a 1:45.436 and unless he went even faster in the last session, he did a 1:45.069)and to make matters even worse, I think it was the lap he chased me down and passed me! I guess this means I now have to listen to all his advice and driving tips

Should be some good video's forthcoming.
I didn't go faster in the last session, but got a couple more low :45 laps (a 1:45.082 and a 1:45.228).

This was a perfect day. Great weather, great friends, and a fast car. It doesn't get any better than that. My goal when I arrived at the track was to get a 1:45 lap. I got six of them. I tried for a 1:44 in the last session, but just couldn't do it.

When I was following Sidney in the second session, I was keeping up with him without trying too hard. He would pull away when a slower car got between us, but I was able to slowly reel him in when I got around the slower car. So I decided I wanted to pass him before the day was over. And I did in the fourth session.

I'm sure my HP advantage helped a little (LS is a track that rewards high HP), but I was handling the corners pretty fast too. When I passed him, I was on his tail in turn 11, then I powered past him before turn 1. Giving him his due credit, I don't know anyone else who can get as much speed out of a C4 as Sidney can.

I can't wait for all the videos.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:14 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bobmoore2
Leaky rear diffs were standard equipment on the C5s. Get it fixed by a good transmission shop, and it should never leak again.
Thanks, I'll do that .

Originally Posted by dbratten
And, I have us running together on the straight and over the hill where I know I was hitting 120+ at the time. Later sessions I forced myself to keep my foot in it and I got into 4th a couple of times which means I was hitting over 130 which is where it shifted. I would hit 120+ in 3rd into turn 5 also and you were running in front of me, so ... your speedo is definitely off.

--Dan
After 4 trips to LS I finally captured one of them with my GPS lap timer and have the track data. My car always feels kind of sluggish there and I'm not sure if it's because I run with my cats on or what. But I only reach 120 mph max speeds on the straight. My fastest lap last time was a 1:39.8 and I had to lift on the straight behind a miata so I only hit 115 mph max. 130 mph is flying Dan! Here is the data from that lap which shows speed and lateral G's. I think the data in turn 9 had a glitch where it shows a sudden drop in speed and a big bump in lateral G's. The graph starts at the entry to Turn 2.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:36 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

After 4 trips to LS I finally captured one of them with my GPS lap timer and have the track data. My car always feels kind of sluggish there and I'm not sure if it's because I run with my cats on or what. But I only reach 120 mph max speeds on the straight. My fastest lap last time was a 1:39.8 and I had to lift on the straight behind a miata so I only hit 115 mph max. 130 mph is flying Dan! Here is the data from that lap which shows speed and lateral G's. I think the data in turn 9 had a glitch where it shows a sudden drop in speed and a big bump in lateral G's. The graph starts at the entry to Turn 2.
I'm relying on the speedo but I have tweaked the tune with corrected tire sizes for the race rubber so I don't think it's too far off. At WSCC autocrosses my car usually has among the fastest trap speeds when they have the radar gun out. At LS I'm gaining ground on most cars going into two. While my speeds are good I seem to be lacking the consistency you show in putting together all the segments on course to yield a complete faster lap.

I had a lot of 1:45's (in the video) and I was told a 1:44.5 (stopwatch) in RG4 so I'll keep working on it.

--Dan
Old 02-26-2010, 12:54 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sidney, great on getting into the 1:45's, when I got just below 1:50 I was doing 119
top going into 2, usually around 116/7, and my HUD is spot on, according to my GPS.
Have to take a day off from the card tables and come out to visit again, I know I could
provide ballast. Funny thing about fast lap times, several times when I took a
passenger and said, to myself, slow down and be smooth, turned out to be one of
my fast laps for the day, happened at LS and SP.
Randy
Old 02-26-2010, 01:12 PM
flink
Racer

My hamsters only get me up to 108 mph

Best lap was 1:47.06 - 4.2 seconds quicker than my other time at LS. There are mistakes everywhere and the tires are going downhill fast so low 1:40's are possible I think.

I may look into that sticky stuff which rejuvenates track tires - these v710's have half their tread left (apart from the flatspots, where they must be close to the cords).

Old 02-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and what a noise! Get some slicks, you should be able to drop your times by 2+ seconds without even trying!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:02 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

I'm relying on the speedo but I have tweaked the tune with corrected tire sizes for the race rubber so I don't think it's too far off. At WSCC autocrosses my car usually has among the fastest trap speeds when they have the radar gun out. At LS I'm gaining ground on most cars going into two. While my speeds are good I seem to be lacking the consistency you show in putting together all the segments on course to yield a complete faster lap.

I had a lot of 1:45's (in the video) and I was told a 1:44.5 (stopwatch) in RG4 so I'll keep working on it.

--Dan
Nice Dan. I really want to get back out and auto-x with you guys this year. You can give me some lessons again, I'm going to be rusty .

Originally Posted by flink
My hamsters only get me up to 108 mph

Best lap was 1:47.06 - 4.2 seconds quicker than my other time at LS. There are mistakes everywhere and the tires are going downhill fast so low 1:40's are possible I think.

I may look into that sticky stuff which rejuvenates track tires - these v710's have half their tread left (apart from the flatspots, where they must be close to the cords).
Nice improvement in time, but there's a passenger seat blocking my view! You will be a good match for Mike next time with some fresh tires .

Originally Posted by Sidney004
and what a noise! Get some slicks, you should be able to drop your times by 2+ seconds without even trying!
Shhhh, don't give away our secret Sidney . Hey I was teasing you about your brake pads running thin at the track. But I just checked my rears today and realized I was metal on metal in the back . Oooops my rear rotors are toast too.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:54 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default RG1-Red

Here's part of the first run group where I'm running in Open/Red for the first time and showing some faster cars coming through. Really need to keep a look out for them.

I got to pass a few, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lru4b_ZzVSc

More to come.

--Dan
Old 02-26-2010, 10:04 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

wow that Viper was FLYING
Old 02-26-2010, 10:11 PM
choivette
Burning Brakes

Here's part of the first run group where I'm running in Open/Red for the first time and showing some faster cars coming through. Really need to keep a look out for them.

More to come.

--Dan
Really smooth Dan, nice meeting you.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:12 PM
orion4096
Cruising

Nice improvement in time, but there's a passenger seat blocking my view! You will be a good match for Mike next time with some fresh tires .
Mike is going to make sure his turbo doesn't try to jump off next time and is looking for low 1:4X's.

Looks like it was a great day to be at the track.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:41 AM
haikun
Racer

More to come.

--Dan
Nice and smooth, looking forward to more videos Seems a people was nice and left space whenever needed. I was surprised how the Lotus pulled away in the video heading up towards the corkscrew, must be some serious power in that machine.

Keep em coming

Hakan
Old 02-27-2010, 02:02 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by haikun
I was surprised how the Lotus pulled away in the video heading up towards the corkscrew, must be some serious power in that machine.
Supercharged
Old 02-27-2010, 04:43 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default RG2-Red

Here are three segments of run group two which lasted for over 25 minutes and provided 14 laps or more.

In the first one I start out between a couple of Mustangs and need to resolve that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut2WcMJLbnI

In this segment there's a lot of action with Bob and Sidney and a bunch of S2000's as I work my way up behind them. Check at 7:00 minutes in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn445SZ6zjI

Finally, in this third segment I chase down a Z06 but find out after the group that he was on run-flats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Indw995dTKU

More to come.

--Dan
Old 02-27-2010, 08:37 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

In this segment there's a lot of action with Bob and Sidney and a bunch of S2000's as I work my way up behind them. Check at 7:00 minutes in.

--Dan
WOW! I didn't know you had video of the Miata going off track in front of me. He gave me quite a scare for a second there. It looks like he lurched back toward me, but actually I was aside him and going faster at that time, so he would have swerved across the track behind me. It was the easiest pass of the day.

Get notified of new replies

To Laguna Seca - Thursday 2/25/2010

Old 02-27-2010, 09:54 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Here are a couple laps recorded with my Performance Box. Both charts start at the start/finish line.

If you compare them against the one Redtopz posted above, you'll see that I wasn't pulling as many G's in the turns. His graph shows about 1.8 G's in turn 9, mine shows almost 1.5 G's there. I've got to push a lot harder to beat his lap times. In fact, I don't know if my tires can even take 1.8 G's!

I also need to overcome the urge to lift going over the hill at turn 1. I'm losing a few seconds there every lap.

My best lap was in the 4th session. 1:45.069

My 2nd best lap was in the 5th session. 1:45.082

When I compared the two laps, I saw that I did the first 3/4 of the lap (up through the Corkscrew) better in the 1:45.082 lap, but I did turns 9 and 10 better in the 1:45.069 lap. Sidney was saying you can gain a lot of time by doing well in turns 9 and 10, and this confirms that.

Last edited by bobmoore2; 02-27-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:05 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Cool, more data to look at! Like I said in my post above, the 1.8 G reading and the dip in speed in Turn 9 was an error with my P-box (watching my video you can see my car never lost speed in that turn). Maybe it mistook a bump for lateral G's or something. It can pull 1.3 to 1.4 G's pretty consistently. I compared our speeds in all the turns and found in general my car was 3 to 5 mph faster in all the turns except 9 and 10 where you were faster. I spun in 9 before and I think it's still haunting me a bit :o. The biggest section where you could gain some time IMHO is staying on the gas through Turn 1, but even more importantly carrying more speed through Turn 7. I took that about 6 mph faster than you and carried the extra speed all the way up the hill to the corkscrew. I need to pick it up in 9 and 10 and also stay on the throttle in 1 for a 1:38 lap next time.

Of course these were only snapshots of 1 or 2 laps. It would be cool to find the best times for different sections and then piece together a "theoretical best lap time". That would give a nice personal goal for putting together a good all around lap.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:22 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Here are three segments of run group two which lasted for over 25 minutes and provided 14 laps or more.

In the first one I start out between a couple of Mustangs and need to resolve that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut2WcMJLbnI

Finally, in this third segment I chase down a Z06 but find out after the group that he was on run-flats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Indw995dTKU

More to come.

--Dan
I just watched the 2nd video. That was awesome! Very smooth driving, looks like you are turning fast laps without even trying and while chatting with your passenger (wife?) . BTW, I think you are taking turns 11 and 2 better than most of us. I am going to try your line in 2 next time, but I might need to shift to 2nd gear and my tranny is already hating me.

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca - Thursday 2/25/2010