Northern California Northern California

How are GTR's doing at the track ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:03 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default How are GTR's doing at the track ?

First of all, when I say "track," I mean road racing track not drag strip.

So who has a report of how the cars are holding up when they get used fairly hard? More specifically, has anyone seen one running in the advanced group? After a little online searching I found some guy that supposedly(no real reason to doubt it) did a 2:05 at T hill over the top.

I'd like to find out how the tires and brakes are holding up at that speed with the car being as heavy as it is. I also found a post from a guy that probably runs similar speeds and he has had transmission overheating issues. Amazingly that is a problem that also afflicts Corvettes.

Just trying to find the real poop on how the car is in real life (at the track).

Dog
Old 12-03-2009, 01:35 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't know, but since we can do sub 2 minute laps over the top in our C5Z's, then I bet a GTR would be faster than that with sticky tires. From what I've read they are faster than vettes stock for stock on roadcourses. They are probably more of a match for a well prepared C6Z on the track, but heavier. But like the Audi R8's, it sounds like they basically drive themselves with AWD and all the nanny controls. What's the fun in that? I'd like to see one in the hands of a good driver on sticky tires to see what it could do.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:50 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rode in one at Laguna Seca with a semi experienced driver behind the wheel. They are definitely very fast, and the amount of grip they have on the stock tires is kind of ridiculous, although they do get a little greasy after a few hot laps.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:37 AM
meldog21
Drifting

I got on a couple GTR boards to see what the consensus was. It wasn't much help. I pm'd a guy who appeared to know what he was talking about. He got back to me right away with a bunch of great info. It was refreshing to get reasonably unbiased information. Reading many of the forums posts gave me a headache with all the "my car's faster than your car" stuff and the more appropriate "the kind of car I bought is faster than other kinds of cars." Most of it sounds like 12 year olds bragging. Just like on our forum you have to know who to listen to and believe.

To summarize; He said the car is fantastically fast, but if you go fast you will overheat various components. Especially when people pump up the boost. Sounds to me like a Corvette Nothing that can't be worked with some time and money, but there are similar issues to fix.
No mention of excessive tire wear due to the weight. Also the standard stuff just like a Corvette, the stock tires and pads won't hold up to high speeds. I wouldn't expect any street car's tires or pads to work great at elevated speeds so that makes sense.

I didn't find out much more, but it makes me think it's more like a Corvette and less like a Porsche. I am referring to the parts needed to run continuously near the front of the advanced group without failure. The GTR needs similar upgrades as a Corvette, Porsches appear to need less upgrades but they cost more.

I guess it's the same old story with a newer car thrown in the mix, speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

I'm happy with the speed I get out of my chintzy old C5 Z06. Of course if someone gave me a GT3, Carrera Turbo, GTR, ZR1, Viper ACR, or even a new Z06 I would keep the bad azz new car and be glad to pay for any upgrades required.

In my book, if it's fast I like it. They're all cool cars.

Dog

Last edited by meldog21; 12-04-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:01 AM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

The GTR is an amazing car.. too bad it looks like a 370z with a bad body kit
Old 12-04-2009, 07:40 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

It'd be cool to see what it could do in the hands of a real driver, like yourself. And to see what your feedback about how fun to track it actually is, with all the electronics doing the "heavy lifting."

-TJ
Old 12-04-2009, 09:26 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

out of 4 GTRs I have seen in person on the roadcourse, 2 lost their transmissions. nissan warrantied both, but warranty does not last forever and, as it stands right now, it's a 20k repair, there is no proven pre-emptive fix, and warranties don't last forever. not cool.

they are very fast in the capable hands. if I could buy one with a manual trans or if the trans reliability was addressed, i'd buy one in a heartbeat.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:34 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a GTR guy out in the Southeast that I've run with twice at Road Atlanta. Expensive cars that drive themselves. Paddle shifters, twin turbo. Things upshift and downshift by themselves. Dual Clutch systems like the fancy Ferrari's. Steven, the owner is a military guy but really friendly. Confident, but deservedly so. I run down a lot of C6's in my C5, but I simply could not run him down. The only time I could hang with him was when he was having trouble with heat soak and complained he lost half his boost. Too bad, so sad. I told him he should get a better track car like my old C5 . They are pretty heavy or they would be totally untouchable.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:35 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kwhiteside
There's a GTR guy out in the Southeast that I've run with twice at Road Atlanta. Expensive cars that drive themselves. Paddle shifters, twin turbo. Things upshift and downshift by themselves. Dual Clutch systems like the fancy Ferrari's. Steven, the owner is a military guy but really friendly. Confident, but deservedly so. I run down a lot of C6's in my C5, but I simply could not run him down. The only time I could hang with him was when he was having trouble with heat soak and complained he lost half his boost. Too bad, so sad. I told him he should get a better track car like my old C5 . They are pretty heavy or they would be totally untouchable.
That pretty much sums it up .
Old 12-06-2009, 10:55 AM
FredSM
Drifting

T11 at THill I've seen what they can do. Way slow, way deep, just like our cars, but diggin' on all fours they are back up to speed thru the esses quicker . . . quicker than me anyway. Other than that, I haven't been overly impressed. Perhaps I've not seen a fast one yet. Guess I need to ride in one. They're definitely not "lookers".

FM
Old 12-06-2009, 01:28 PM
meldog21
Drifting

So my impression without first hand knowledge is that a GTR is equal to or better than my C5 Z06. Of course just like a C6 Z06, I would expect an $80,000 car to be better than a $25,000 car.

My main interest is in the durability and required upgrades, especially since the GTR weighs approximately 600lbs more than a Corvette. My intuition tells me that all the components will be more heavily stressed and will require upgrades or higher than average replacement. So far that appears to be the case in general, but not a lot of info yet.

Dog
Old 12-06-2009, 03:32 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by meldog21
So my impression without first hand knowledge is that a GTR is equal to or better than my C5 Z06. Of course just like a C6 Z06, I would expect an $80,000 car to be better than a $25,000 car.

My main interest is in the durability and required upgrades, especially since the GTR weighs approximately 600lbs more than a Corvette. My intuition tells me that all the components will be more heavily stressed and will require upgrades or higher than average replacement. So far that appears to be the case in general, but not a lot of info yet.

Dog
Are you looking for something to DD and track? Otherwise I'm curious why you'd even look to the GTR. Just like you said, why track a $80k car when a $25k can be just as good and is "expendable." I'm not saying writing-off a $25k wouldn't hurt, but it'd hurt a lot less than a $80k car. That's just me though.

-TJ
Old 12-06-2009, 03:37 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

GT-R ?? ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOAXJTTc__w

Old 12-06-2009, 09:32 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Originally Posted by tjZ06
Are you looking for something to DD and track? Otherwise I'm curious why you'd even look to the GTR. Just like you said, why track a $80k car when a $25k can be just as good and is "expendable." I'm not saying writing-off a $25k wouldn't hurt, but it'd hurt a lot less than a $80k car. That's just me though.

-TJ
I don't want to get one. I just want to know if a GTR is like my car as far as high performance maintenance and upgrades. For instance, I had to upgrade my radiator, and brakes to get the car to hold up at the track. I'm not getting a lot of input, but it appears to be about the same for the GTR, maybe not exactly the same items, but similar.

I was figuring that because of the extra weight the GTR would need even more stuff and burn the tires quicker. We're just not getting enough information to draw an accurate conclusion.

Dog
Old 12-07-2009, 11:09 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC-PQca6FJU&feature=fvw
Old 12-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Moss
Racer

Originally Posted by doje
LMAO!
Old 12-10-2009, 08:17 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Moss
LMAO!
If you like that one, search YouTube for hitler rx7. Even better.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:29 AM
Moss
Racer

Originally Posted by doje
If you like that one, search YouTube for hitler rx7. Even better.
Thanks. Double the enjoyment since I owned and tracked a 93 RX7 for several years.....
Old 12-11-2009, 05:19 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by TPSMak
The GTR is an amazing car.. too bad it looks like a 370z with a bad body kit

The front end on those things always makes me think of those classic zombie / horror flicks where there's a undead dude with no skin around his mouth, but it's stretched down around it.

Like one of these guys..

Get notified of new replies

To How are GTR's doing at the track ?

Quick Reply: How are GTR's doing at the track ?