Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Where to go to have wheels Plasti-Dipped??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 06:45 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Where to go to have wheels Plasti-Dipped??

No not on a corvette......but rather my DD is a 2016 Toyota Corolla S 6-Speed and I am looking to slowly mod the car and rather than spend $1500+ on wheels & tires for this econobox I was wondering if maybe having them plastic-dipped is the way to go? Looking for a shop close to home here on Staten Island with a good reputation that won't break the bank and I certainly will consider travel within reason as I know that it is not a long process. Any ideas/recommendations? Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 03-13-2020, 10:05 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Honestly I would just do it yourself. It is very easy and only takes a few hours max. I have done several cars with no problems.

The following users liked this post:
DSOM Z06 (03-15-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 07:45 AM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Found out about a wonderful shop located 10 minutes from my house called Galaxy Vinyl run by a young man named Joe Pesce (Not kidding). He custom wraps cars, tints windows, install's custom graphics and does all kinds of cool mods to some very expensive and exotic vehicles. My Corolla must be the runt of the litter. Anyway I am scheduled to have my wheels dipped on Friday when the weather is supposed to be nice and warm here in NYC......Can't wait to see the Bronze/Gold Satin finish up against my Barcelona Red Metallic Corolla exterior. The great thing about the dipping process is that it is very inexpensive, durable and removable. I will post up some pics when the car is completed. No it's not my DSOM Z06 but sometimes when life gives you lemons..........you know the rest!!!! Thanks.
zone69 (05-15-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 04:25 AM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

A HUGE shoutout to Joe P. and his crew at Galaxy Vinyl on Staten Island......After 4 Coats of Plasti-Dip Black, they finished the wheels with 7 coats of Rust-Oleum Matte Gold Rubber Flex Paint for Automotive use........By using so many coats it increases durability, ease of removal and even covered up any curb rash, of which I had some unsightly marks. No I wouldn't dip my vette per se however my Corolla is being modded on a budget and I am very happy with the results........

zone69 (05-15-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 06:11 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

I liked the outcome so much that I wanted to make the change permanent so I went back and visited the boys at Galaxy Vinyl and had the wheels powder coated. I was amazed how easily the plasti-dip peeled right off in front of my own eyes.....Now the change is permanent and I have a grin from ear to ear. Thanks to Joe and his crew........

Last edited by DSOM Z06; 05-10-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:45 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Sooo, you spent what? $75 per wheel to get it done?
Old 05-15-2020, 05:07 PM
zone69
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Joe is my nephew they do some nice work
DSOM Z06 (05-16-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 11:58 AM
L98IROCZ89
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by DSOM Z06
No not on a corvette......but rather my DD is a 2016 Toyota Corolla S 6-Speed and I am looking to slowly mod the car and rather than spend $1500+ on wheels & tires for this econobox I was wondering if maybe having them plastic-dipped is the way to go? Looking for a shop close to home here on Staten Island with a good reputation that won't break the bank and I certainly will consider travel within reason as I know that it is not a long process. Any ideas/recommendations? Thanks in advance!!!!
I say do it yourself, I did a whole bunch of rims in the past. I recommend 5 cans total, use roughly 1 and a 1/4 cans per wheel as you certainly need it on thick enough that it will peel off and not just break off in pieces. Clean them well, spray from a reasonable distance in light coats, use playing cards or index cards so you don't get plati dip all over the tires.

Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Where to go to have wheels Plasti-Dipped??

Quick Reply: Where to go to have wheels Plasti-Dipped??