Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Window Tint in New Jersey

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 12:33 PM
C2 to C7
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tint in New Jersey

I'm a resident of New Jersey and am likely ordering
a '15 C7 soon.
I checked several websites for the legal tint allowed here in the state, including the NJDMV site, and it seems no tint is allowed on windshield or
front door glass. Only rear door glass and rear window are allowed.

Can any NJ members to this site confirm this?

Tks,
Jeff
Old 07-19-2014, 01:14 PM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

That is correct.

The actual law in NJ reads as follows:

39:3-74. Windshields must be unobstructed and equipped with cleaners
Every motor vehicle having a windshield shall be equipped with at least one device in good working order for cleaning rain, snow or other moisture from the windshield so as to provide clear vision for the driver, and all such devices shall be so constructed and installed as to be operated or controlled by the driver.

No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign, poster, sticker or other non-transparent material upon the front windshield, wings, deflectors, side shields, corner lights adjoining windshield or front side windows of such vehicle other than a certificate or other article required to be so displayed by statute or by regulations of the commissioner.

No person shall drive any vehicle so constructed, equipped or loaded as to unduly interfere with the driver's vision to the front and to the sides."

*source
http://statutes.laws.com/new-jersey/...n-39-3/39-3-74

Windshield and front windows are not allowed to be tinted. Back and rear can be tinted any darkness provided they're not reflected, metallic, or colored.

Furthermore, it appears to be a $54 fine for violating this statute.

*source
http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/mcs...4/10-31-05.pdf

Last edited by Mfserge; 07-19-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:27 PM
C2 to C7
Cruising

Originally Posted by Mfserge
That is correct.

The actual law in NJ reads as follows:

39:3-74. Windshields must be unobstructed and equipped with cleaners
Every motor vehicle having a windshield shall be equipped with at least one device in good working order for cleaning rain, snow or other moisture from the windshield so as to provide clear vision for the driver, and all such devices shall be so constructed and installed as to be operated or controlled by the driver.

No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign, poster, sticker or other non-transparent material upon the front windshield, wings, deflectors, side shields, corner lights adjoining windshield or front side windows of such vehicle other than a certificate or other article required to be so displayed by statute or by regulations of the commissioner.

No person shall drive any vehicle so constructed, equipped or loaded as to unduly interfere with the driver's vision to the front and to the sides."

Windshield and front windows are not allowed to be tinted. Back and rear can be tinted any darkness provided they're not reflected, metallic, or colored.
Thanks for the confirmation Mfserge!
Well I suppose I can keep one of those suction-cut shades in the car so the wife won't complain too much!
Old 07-19-2014, 01:35 PM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by C2 to C7
Thanks for the confirmation Mfserge!
Well I suppose I can keep one of those suction-cut shades in the car so the wife won't complain too much!
Or do as a lot of us do, break the law and pay the $54 fine. The car does look awesome tinted. I guess some cops can be ball busters though but I've been fortunate so far.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:24 PM
JerzeyJoe
Burning Brakes

As a NJ LEO, I can tell you most don't really care. If you get pulled over, roll down your windows, and turn your car off.

Also, in NJ Motor Vehicle Inspection will not fail you for tints. Still illegal, but you will pass.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:37 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/sunscreening.htm

S.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:41 PM
m kraz
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

wow that is good info thanks
Old 07-22-2014, 04:06 PM
BigT2
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Check out the 3M Crystalline tint you can get at 90% so it looks almost clear and it still blocks much of the infrared light and blocks a lot of the heat coming through your windows. It is expensive so I didn't get it but the display at the place I got my windows done was very impressive.

T
Old 07-24-2014, 07:48 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JerzeyJoe
As a NJ LEO, I can tell you most don't really care. If you get pulled over, roll down your windows, and turn your car off.

Also, in NJ Motor Vehicle Inspection will not fail you for tints. Still illegal, but you will pass.
This is the most accurate and common sense info you will get... Worse case scenario, pay the $54 and keep it moving. Its definitely worth the look!
Old 08-03-2014, 04:23 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

I have a tint "Strip" that goes across the top of my windshield...I'm guessing ( never measured ) it drops down about 6". NJ Motor Vehicle Inspection never said a word about it.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:17 AM
Na1mt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SG Lou
I have a tint "Strip" that goes across the top of my windshield...I'm guessing ( never measured ) it drops down about 6". NJ Motor Vehicle Inspection never said a word about it.
NJMC will not fail you for anything other than a check engine light or failure to pass readiness tests (you are allowed to fail one). As far as the tint goes, it really depends on the town. I know that they will pull you over and write you in Wall Twsp as well as Colts Neck.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:19 AM
cyoul8rnj
Pro

St. Jude Donor '08-'10-'12

There is a clear window tint that blocks 80% sun! We just did it on a new truck--it works. AutoMajic, Glassboro, NJ.

Get notified of new replies

To Window Tint in New Jersey

Quick Reply: Window Tint in New Jersey