Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

***Looking for Watkins Glen & area info***

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 10:41 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Default ***Looking for Watkins Glen & area info***

A large group of us are coming down from Toronto for the USCR race in a couple of weeks. We are staying in nearby Horseheads for 4 days, so some tips on good places to eat, shop, ect would be appreciated!

Old 06-13-2014, 10:55 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Eat one night at Seneca Lodge and then sit at the bar and tell Jack that Fred sent you (located in Watkins Glen), lunch at the Ginny Lee Cafe at Wagner Winery which is nearby, ice cream at The Great Escape in WG, the Station Car Restaurant in WG isn't too bad for a dinner and if you like Italian, Jerlando's in WG is the spot. There is a good wine store right off #17 (86) in Horseheads - GCP Wines and Liquors. Have fun.

aS

As far as "shopping", there are some small local businesses (antiques, racing memobrelia) on Franklin right in town and Wal Mart up on #414 in town.

Cheers

Last edited by TWINRAY; 06-15-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

When racing up at the Glen we stayed at the Glenora and went to their restaurant. Good food and their own wines to pick from.

I would also agree if you go to WGI you have to go to Seneca lodge for at least drinks.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:26 PM
CalixEros
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're looking for something closer to Horseheads, there are really only a couple decent places to eat: Louie's and Tanino's. Louie's is pretty small and probably could not accommodate a big group but has the better food IMO. I'm guessing your closer to Big Flats so Corning wouldn't be too far either. The Cellar and Tony R's are pretty good there, although expensive. Holme's Plate and Market St Brewing both have good beer selections but because of that I can't remember how the food is...

In Watkins, Glen Mountain Market has good sandwiches if you're looking to grab something quick. Nickel's Pit BBQ has good wings and beer, plus they usually have live music at night. A mile down the road in Montour Blue Ribbon Diner put in a wood fired pizza oven a couple years ago that I've heard is good, but I haven't been there.

As long as I've lived (well worked, really, I live a couple towns over) here I've never been to Seneca Lodge. The food at Glenora is good and that has one of the best lake views around.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:34 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,338 Posts

I can't really recommend much in Horseheads, as we usually stay in Watkins Glen, and don't wander far from it. I know that most of the national chain restaurants (Outback, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Ruby Tuesdays, Texas Roadhouse, etc.) are in Horseheads.

In Watkins Glen, the Seneca Lodge is well worth a visit. The Harbor House, Seneca Harbor Station, and Wildflowers all offer good food, and Jerlando's serves the best pizza in town.

Here are a couple links to info on The Glen, recently posted in the "Autocrossing and Roadracing" section of the Forum.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...lens-help.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...g-options.html
Old 06-23-2014, 09:23 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Thanks to all for the great info!! Really looking forward to this weekend!!
Old 06-26-2014, 10:09 PM
CTYANK2
Cruising is the passion!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 304 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Ate at Seneca Lodge tonight. Several of the race teams and some IMSA folks there. Good food - service could have been better. It was very busy.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:16 AM
Ralphyboy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I was going to add that Nichol's BBQ is pretty good. I have been going to the Zippo Classic Car races in Sept. for many years. Last year, we stumbled on Nichol's while looking for a place for lunch. Lots of their own craft beers brewed right there, and the brisket sandwiches were pretty good.
The East shore of Lake Seneca has a lot of nice wineries with tastings, and restaurants, but making a reservation is required if you want to get in there.
BTW, just for a laugh, go into BIG JOHNSON'S bar along this road. They have a sign above the bar, " If you can't feed em', don't breed em' ". The place is funny, but they do have live music on weekends.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:23 PM
CTYANK2
Cruising is the passion!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 304 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Wildflowers was good too.

Get notified of new replies

To ***Looking for Watkins Glen & area info***

Quick Reply: ***Looking for Watkins Glen & area info***