Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Sad story from last night...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 12:39 PM
Finch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad story from last night...

Just saw it on the news, last night an 02 Electron blue Corvette Coupe was drag racing a silver CLK-class Mercedes on route 106 on LI when a Jeep Cherokee decided to make a left turn right in front of the two, causing them to slam into the Jeep. The Jeep then exploded into a fireball from the impact of both cars, killing both passengers in the Jeep. The drivers of the Corvette and CLK were relatively fine, even after hitting the Jeep that hard. A very sad story...just thought I would share it with you guys. Technically, didn't the C5 and CLK have the right of way here, regardless of whether they were accelerating or simply traveling at or above the speed limit? I'm just wondering how the law is going to treat this. My condolences go out to the family of the Jeep passengers, and hopefully the other two will turn out alright as well. Later guys :(
-Pete
Old 06-11-2002, 12:52 PM
mikeg826
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Sad story from last night... (Pete99SS)

:( :sad:
Old 06-11-2002, 01:04 PM
WS6 TransAm Girl
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Sad story from last night... (mikeg826)

Morons need to keep it on the track :mad
How tragic... when you are drag racing, you don't have the right of way PERIOD. What a waste of innocent lives :nonod:
Old 06-11-2002, 01:15 PM
BLISS
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

This is exactly true, keep it on the track. Street racing or screwing around in a populate place, kills.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:19 PM
Jim D
Drifting

Default Re: Sad story from last night... (WS6 TransAm Girl)

Well yes I agree you shouldn't be drag racing on the street, but it seems someone is always either pulling out right in front of me or cutting me off. Don't forget the last minute lane changers, I told my wife I have to take the sign off the front of my car that says ,please cut me off . Sad story.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:26 PM
BLISS
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: Sad story from last night... (Jim D)

Yep ... that's true, people definetely do not know how to drive. They cut you off, always yapping on the damn phone or some are just plain old farts, that should not be on the road anyway. People hardly ever grasp the concept of common courtesy, or to simply speed up to merge with traffic. A lot of people DO NOT know how to use their mirrors, or BETTER YET - turn for a brief period , and look behind them. It's sad that these two lost their lives in the JEEP, but I'll bet they were at fault too. God bless, I'm outta here :blueangel: ---- and as always, DO keep it @ the track.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:39 PM
Vic'89
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Route 106 on Long Island is near me, about 3 miles away.

The story in Newsday doesn't state anything about racing. They are investigating it. They say it is a high speed crash.

Looks like the Jeep pulled in front of the 2 cars.

Vic
Old 06-11-2002, 02:55 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Here's a q... why they heck is a Z06 playing with a CLK??? I love CLK's hell I want one... but they are totally in a different league..

That sucks tho... :(
Old 06-11-2002, 02:59 PM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts
Philly 'Burbs Events Coordinator

Default Re: Sad story from last night... (Mike69)

If your gonna take a chance and play thats a perfect example of the worst that can happen. If you gonna play you better be ready to pay the price and sometimes that price is HIGH :(
Old 06-11-2002, 03:19 PM
Michelle Ludena
Advanced

I don't think whether they were cut off by someone in another makes a difference, what if they were racing and coming so fast that a pedestrian who also has the right of way and probably the only who would gets killed. Anyway you look at it Keep it at the track. They were breaking the law and someone else paid the price with their lives......

:(
Old 06-11-2002, 03:58 PM
DINO
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
I went to Cruise-In V with Vetteweiser

Default Re: Sad story from last night... (Michelle Ludena)

Sad very sad either way...save it for the track or at least when the roads are empty....I see alot of post here about saving for the track but I have driven around with some of you and we tear it up a bit....right Rob ...Mike.... :yesnod: anyway god bless the loss :blueangel:
Old 06-11-2002, 04:02 PM
fourthrail
Instructor

Here's the link to the story: http://www.newsday.com/news/local/lo...op%2Dheadlines

Ever since that Vette/Lamborghini race/accident killed someone around here a while back, anything that looks like racing is gonna be blamed.

Old 06-11-2002, 04:06 PM
fourthrail
Instructor

Default Re: Sad story from last night... (fourthrail)

Here's a link to the video of the wreck, damn...
http://wb11.feedroom.com/
Old 06-11-2002, 07:48 PM
Finch
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Sad story from last night... (fourthrail)

I could have sworn that was Electron Blue, but I guess it was NBM...not that it makes much of a difference. As to whose fault it was, the CLK and C5 had the right of way, but the fact that they were either speeding or racing may change the whole story. I think many people on the roads need to be a bit more careful...it never hurts to wait an extra 5 seconds for cars to pass, and driving excessively fast is just a good way to waste your gas...I don't exactly see the point, but that's just me! Anyway, later everyone... :nonod:
Old 06-11-2002, 08:29 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Unbeleivable. Only people paying the price are the people that are killed.

fuking cowards racing on the street :mad
Old 06-11-2002, 08:31 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Default Re: Sad story from last night... (REDGAR)

Please excuse my loss of composure but that really burns me!!!
Old 06-11-2002, 08:40 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Very sad :(

Get notified of new replies

To Sad story from last night...

Old 06-11-2002, 08:48 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: Sad story from last night... (REDGAR)

Here's my take on it. The accident could have occurred whether they were racing or not, but from the looks of the wreckage, my guess would be that they were racing,

To answer Mike69's question, the driver of the Corvette was 17, so that's why he would be racing a Benz. None of us would fall for the challenge.

Most people never look before they turn and just because the vette and Benz had the right of way, it is still their fault because you are responsible for maintaining control of your vehicle regardless of the conditions.

If that Jeep ran a red light and this happened, the vette and Benz would be at fault.

We just had a discussion in C4 General about street racing. Can't say I'm glad this happened, but now I can forward the story to the guy who was against track racing and supporting street racing. Hopefully this will change his outlook.
Old 06-11-2002, 10:18 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Sad story from last night... (BLISS)

or some are just plain old farts, that should not be on the road anyway.
Bliss... hope you didn't mean me....j/k

I agree this is a sad thing :( I know first hand what it is to lose someone dear to you in a car accident)...however in this case both the Vette & Merc may have just been speeding 70-80 mph NOT DRAG RACING... however if the speed limit is say 40 mph, the driver of the Jeep may have thought he could make it..

The papers (& cops) are quick to the draw, claiming it was DRAG RACING, when in fact it may have been two young kids just speeding, & passing each other.. STILL WRONG, but it was NOT drag racing ..however it gives Drag Racing a bad name..

I've investigated a fatal accident where 3 cars were speeding ONE BEHIND THE OTHER... when one of them lost it on a turn and hit a pole..

The paper had a story that said "Two Killed in DRAG RACE"

I was PO'd :mad :mad as I was the investigating officer & I never mentioned Drag Racing in my report... In fact my report was not even complete.... I just gave the paper brief facts that I knew at the time..

I called the paper & spoke to one of the writers of that story, & told HER that if she did not correct the story I'd NEVER give her any info on any investigations I did...
Old 06-11-2002, 11:12 PM
mlambert890
Racer

Default Re: Sad story from last night... (Red96Coupe)

They (the two jerk offs) were headed NORTH on 106. The Jeep was headed SOUTH on 106 and was making a left ACROSS 106. Since Long Island has no freakin turn arrows, the Jeep basically had to scoot across.

The couple in the Jeep were a young couple on their way to check out wedding stuff. I figure that it seemed to them they were clear to make their left.

What that tells me is that those two cars were going enormously fast (the Jeep was anihilated, so that would seem to be the case).

The driver of the Benz was 19 and had a previous arrest. The driver of the Vette was 17. Two young jerk offs going upwards of a 100 on a road like that were clearly racing since *neither* of them managed to avoid the collision.

If they were both just "going fast" you'd think that one or the other of them would have been paying enough attention to at least attempt avoiding the Jeep. They both slammed into it. Most likely b/c they were only paying attention to each other.

I agree with the "save it for the track" guys 1000%. Driving is dangerous enough already without this added BS...

I feel for that poor family that has to suffer this tragedy because of two spoiled bastards...

[Modified by spookyp, 10:14 PM 6/11/2002]

Quick Reply: Sad story from last night...