Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Who needs help after Sandy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 06:59 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Tide is on its way up

After , What is missing in the photo ?

There it is.

No pictures of the house......we have bigger problem's. But not as bad as most. Some people just be bitchin.

Take a tour of the backyard :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=kBfGZ4upEDs
Old 11-06-2012, 07:24 PM
dlparsons
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Crap! Just watched the video, really makes me realize how lucky we were in Maryland/VA area. We walked away with just a scratch by comparison. And really makes me think how foolish I was not to take storm prep more seriously. That could just as easily been pictures of Chincoteague Island in VA where we have our vacation house and keep our boat. Our neighbor had his run-about floated off his trailer and turned over, but my bigger boat only got crud up in the prop. But boy, if that storm had turned sooner, we would have been in deep trouble.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:57 PM
SpeedRacerGirl
Le Mans Master

Location: Hudson Valley Region, NY The "sonoma/napa" of the Northeast~~~~~ Are we there yet?
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

luckily we sustained no ill effects from the storm. Although I cant say the same for alot of my friends and neighbors who are just a few miles south of me.

I hope everyone comes out of this ok.. cars and items can be replaced. People cant.

I have a portable generator that we never had to use. Wondering if I can hook it up to run the boiler in the house? How much does a transfer switch cost to install usually (george?? any professional estimate guesses?)

Best of luck to you all and thanks for posting this thread, a similar sticky was made to try to help everyone out.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by SpeedRacerGirl
luckily we sustained no ill effects from the storm. Although I cant say the same for alot of my friends and neighbors who are just a few miles south of me.

I hope everyone comes out of this ok.. cars and items can be replaced. People cant.

I have a portable generator that we never had to use. Wondering if I can hook it up to run the boiler in the house? How much does a transfer switch cost to install usually (george?? any professional estimate guesses?)

Best of luck to you all and thanks for posting this thread, a similar sticky was made to try to help everyone out.
If you just want to power your boiler look into something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-TF151.../dp/B000HRWG8U
Old 11-06-2012, 10:27 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
Bridgewater, Somerset County.

We got walloped and crews just made it to us, out of state guys not even PSEG.
I was talking to a crew from Georgia Power and Light and they said that they were somewhat shocked to see that almost all of the equipment that JCP&L had, transformers/cutouts/insulators/connectors/computer systems/reroute systems/ were antiquidated by at least 20 years. Federal/State/Local authorities, and Board of Public Utilitites should mandate and force equipement to be replaced after x-amount of years. We pay enough in rates.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:00 AM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

woohoo...on day 9 without power.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:05 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

chaase....pm'ed you about a gen.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ
I was talking to a crew from Georgia Power and Light and they said that they were somewhat shocked to see that almost all of the equipment that JCP&L had, transformers/cutouts/insulators/connectors/computer systems/reroute systems/ were antiquidated by at least 20 years. Federal/State/Local authorities, and Board of Public Utilitites should mandate and force equipement to be replaced after x-amount of years. We pay enough in rates.
NJ 101.5 was saying the same thing this AM. An out of state guy called in and said the infrastructure here was shockingly poor. Thats what you get when private for profit companies provide essential services.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:18 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by FU
chaase....pm'ed you about a gen.

Got the PM. I am not in dire straights because the neighbor is sharing his at night to run our boiler for a few hours at night to let us shower and warm up the house. I posted to let people know we are still alive and to vent. It is just starting to wear on my wife and I.

I really do appreciate the offer though. I would love to have one but finding gas is challenging right now. I only have a 2 gallon gas, which is full, which will be going to the neighbor shortly to keep his running. My truck is on empty and I am driving the vette because it has gas to get my to and from work for the next 3-4 days.

Now, if it runs on LP or you have a drum of gasoline to go with it.

Last edited by chaase; 11-07-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ
yup, that is why i got the standby generator. it sucks because pse&g territory is like 1/4 of a mile east of me.

Quick Reply: Who needs help after Sandy?