Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

POCONO RACEWAY driving school next monday

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 03:40 PM
racingfast
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default POCONO RACEWAY driving school next monday

Just a reminder of our track event at POCONO..limited number of openings left.. for info: http://ernccc.org/CCNEPA/p_Pocono.html
Old 05-20-2002, 07:26 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Re: POCONO RACEWAY driving school next monday (racingfast)

See ya there :seeya
Old 05-20-2002, 08:53 PM
EricVonHa
Melting Slicks

I'm "in" and we're running the Looonngggg Course in the afternoon, right?
Old 05-20-2002, 09:34 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Default Re: POCONO RACEWAY driving school next monday (EricVonHa)

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 05-20-2002, 09:53 PM
racingfast
Pro

YEAH ERIC to my knowledge we are gonna be on 2/3 the NASCAR track plus the infield road course... should be VERY VERY VERY..... exciting! :crazy: BRING EXTRA GAS!!!!!!!!!!!! Brian
Old 05-20-2002, 10:40 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ill be there :seeya from the side.... no racing for me :)
Old 05-20-2002, 10:59 PM
racingfast
Pro

Default Re: POCONO RACEWAY driving school next monday (74VETTE)

HEY 74.... very impressive 1/4 mi times...but your ride can do turns too ya know....if you are coming up; look me up (white Z06) and we'll go for a ride in my car...have 2 sets of racing harnesses---bring a 95 or newer helmet... :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 05-21-2002, 12:13 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

HEY 74.... very impressive 1/4 mi times...but your ride can do turns too ya know....if you are coming up; look me up (white Z06) and we'll go for a ride in my car...have 2 sets of racing harnesses---bring a 95 or newer helmet... :yesnod: :yesnod:
Thanks racingfast!! :D Ill definitely bring a helmet with me... Its a newer then 95 helmet, but i sanded all the Snell and DOT stuff off of it when i painted it...hope it wont be a problem...
I was going to actually enter to race, but the problem was that my passenger side seat belt doesnt work... Im gonna try to get it fixed up for the next time...plus gonna add a set of 265/50 tire for the front and 295/50's for the rear which im sure will grip way better than the 225/70's I have all the way around.. ill try to find ya at the track tho for that ride! :cheers:

BTW, thanks for the compliments on the 1/4 times!

[Modified by 74VETTE, 11:14 PM 5/20/2002]
Old 05-21-2002, 10:33 AM
ZR_TO_ENA
Racer

I'll see you there :seeya

--John
Old 05-21-2002, 07:05 PM
X-OTIC
Instructor

YEAH ERIC to my knowledge we are gonna be on 2/3 the NASCAR track plus the infield road course... should be VERY VERY VERY..... exciting! :crazy: BRING EXTRA GAS!!!!!!!!!!!! Brian
The afternoon you will be running a 2.5 mile road course. This is turn one and two then into the infield.

In the morning you will be running the East Course. Only the White, Blue And Red drivers. The Green drivers will be over on the South Course
Old 05-21-2002, 07:12 PM
X-OTIC
Instructor

HEY 74.... very impressive 1/4 mi times...but your ride can do turns too ya know....if you are coming up; look me up (white Z06) and we'll go for a ride in my car...have 2 sets of racing harnesses---bring a 95 or newer helmet...
Clothing requirements (green and white): Helmet Snell SA95 spec or better, long sleeve shirt, long pant and shoes.

Clothing requirements (blue & red): Helmet Snell SA95 spec or better, single-layer (or better) Nomex, driving gloves and shoes.

Only Blue and White drive can people for rides.
Old 05-22-2002, 05:09 PM
Silver Bullet 99
Burning Brakes

Default Re: POCONO RACEWAY driving school next monday (X-OTIC)

I'm thinking about going. I've only have two laps in at Summit Point (before my water pump fried my OptiCrap) and been to a few local AutoX. Can I still run? My helmet is up to snuff (Snell 2000).

Opps - also ran at the small road course at Carlisle (yes, they now have a small course that they just opened up for the Import car show...and before everyone asks - I ran the Vette and had plenty of rice snacks all day long) . :yesnod:

Ron
Old 05-25-2002, 12:56 PM
lioninavette
Burning Brakes

Location: Ponderables, yes. My opinion, not totally. Preaching...I don't have a pulpit. Fact and generalizations about what I am reading on behalf of what you tell me...absolutely.

Can anyone come and watch? Never participated in a race like this before. Want to see what it's all about and have some fun on Memorical Day!
Old 05-25-2002, 01:21 PM
EricVonHa
Melting Slicks

Default Re: POCONO RACEWAY driving school next monday (lioninavette)

Yep, visitors are welcome! (I'm not speaking for the event officials, only from my past experience). I'd recommend going to the track in the afternoon if you have a choice. We'll be running 2/3 of the track and you'll be able to see a lot more from a couple different areas within the track. Nice thing about coming to watch is that you'll see a lot Ferrari's get handed their azzes!! :D

Seriously, in the afternoon, it'll be a blast. Down the front straight past the grid you'll see people whizzing by over 100mph. Total acceleration, max satisfaction guaranteed! :cheers:
Old 05-25-2002, 10:20 PM
racingfast
Pro

IF the weather holds out for us its gonna be a blast! ERIC: 100mph???? that must be the Ferarri's... :lol: :lol: I am sure the Vettes will be way over 130mph! Last month on the North course I was at 134mph...and this is gonna be LONGER! :eek: :eek: see ya there!
Old 05-26-2002, 04:16 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Last time on the long course the C5 did 162 I'll see how the GS does although I will try not to push it as much I hope. C5 engine went into retirement :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry
Old 05-27-2002, 01:55 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Waiting for details.

Get notified of new replies

To POCONO RACEWAY driving school next monday

Old 05-27-2002, 06:35 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: POCONO RACEWAY driving school next monday (mackeyred96)

Waiting for details.
It was pretty cool...I didnt get there till around 11, but there were some really nice cars there. A whole lot of $$ in cars there as well..LoL The track looked like a real lot of fun to race on. I wish my car was suited to run on the course...I was almost tempted to see if I could get them to let me run my truck. :rolleyes: I have a few pictures that ill post when i get home later on.
Old 05-27-2002, 09:05 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Just got done washing all the rubber off the front of the car, (Instead of the back) and the 5 pounds of brake dust off the wheels. We did the East course(I think?) in the morning for 2 sessions. Then after lunch we got in 3 sessions on the 2.5 mile course. My Posi held out all day and hit 145 on the back straight away. Mostly it was 140 no problem. I beat all kinds of Porchs, lambos, Panteras, Ferrari,and such. There were some pretty fast cars there, and some really big dollar cars. It feels good to spank some guy in a $100,000 car because he don't know how to drive it. Or having street tires and spanking a all out racer with slicks :smash: It was a awsome day even though I think My power steering pump needs replacement now.:D For those who only drag race you should do a high speed event at least once a year. It's a blast!!! Even though my car is done to Drag Race I held my own and kicked alot of foriegn car butt!!
Old 05-27-2002, 09:14 PM
EricVonHa
Melting Slicks

If there is a road course event to attend, this is it! :yesnod: Why? Because you could run any one of three courses in the morning. Plus, they made lunch for everyone!

I ran one session in the morning on the East Course. It was pretty mild.. not nearly as high speed as the North Course. I would call the East Course more of a "technical" course because it exhibits just about every racing scenario you can think of from a high speed straightaway, hairpin turn, sweeping turns (increasing and decreasing radius), off camber turn, and very slight elevation changes. Top speed? I never really look at the gages till an idiot light comes on, but I'm guessing from the distance of the straight that it's around 120mph. And then, hard, and I mean hard, on the brakes for a quick turn in into the in-field.

My favorite is still the North Course. You can get to 130mph + if you have a ton power. Everything about the North Course is high(er) speed than the East Course. I had a total blast today on the North. I went over there later in the morning and found that their were only 12 cars running between the Red and Blue Groups. So, I jumped right in the fun! Because there were so few cars, they were letting people run whenever they wanted to! (No novice drivers were allowed on the North from what I saw) So, when I went out, it was only myself and a race prepared Ferrari F355 !!! We were neck to neck in acceleration down the NASCAR straight! :D Not bad for the little LT-1 Vette with heads and cam! We ran very tightly together for about 20 minutes swapping the lead position back and forth two times. Incredible fun!! Really made me feel like all the knuckle busting that I've done on my car through the years was really worth it!

In the afternoon, all groups were running the loooooong course. This is some crazy high speed. Most people were hitting over 140mph because there's a combination of two of the NASCAR straights with this configuration. It also uses the in-field of the North Course. I thought I might see 150 + mph, but my nerves got the better of me. Here's the excuse: I "corded" two of my racing slicks in the morning sessions. It was about time, I had almost a full season of autocrossing and road racing on them. So, I put 2 street tires on the rear. What a difference! I didn't carry much speed from the one straight to the next because I was afraid the back end was going to come around at any second. The back end was very light with the minimal grip from the rear street tires. I still did very well and was impressed with a lot of the Z06 drivers. Those cars are amazing performers paired up with a good driver!

Because this was a Corvette event combined with a Ferrari/Pantera club, there was a lot of HOT machinery there. Ever see the race cars where they look like a door wedge and the driver sits in the very front in a cockpit that looks like a fighter jet cockpit? There were 4 or 5 of those cars there today! A couple were Porsches and one, maybe 2, were Ferraris. My car is pretty damn fast, but down the straights, these guys would pass me like I was sitting still!!

I saw 2 Ferrari 360 Modenas and talked with both drivers. Both cars had the F1 style paddle shifters. We talked about how the electronics knows how to match revs on a downshift and what gyrations you have to go through to start it, put it in reverse, or select neutral. Remember, it's clutchless! It's some wild stuff! One of the guys had owned an F355 and he said the Modena was by far more driver friendly. If I'm ever in the market for one, I'll be sure to remember that! ;)

What else, what else, what else... It was a blast! Anyone that has any apprehensions about doing something like this should think again. Their are tons of instructors available and you only have to go at your pace. It's the most fun you can have on four wheels!! :yesnod:

Quick Reply: POCONO RACEWAY driving school next monday