Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Captree This Past Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 09:22 AM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Captree This Past Sunday

So I went to captree this past Sunday. At the entrance was the old state trooper checking front plates. He wasnt just checking to see if you had one, he was pulling on them to see if they came off!
I have the Show and Go, so when it was my turn, he pulled on mine and found it "moved". He told me to pull over and that I was getting a summons for "improper display of a front plate". I politely told the trooper that the plate was properly affixed to a bracket, and that no law was broken. He then told me that he was actually going to write me for the plate not being at leat 12 inches from the ground. He said it is an obscure law that nobody enforces. Anyhow, I told him I would fight that in court and it was a BS ticket. After taking my license, registration, insurance and me made me sit for a few minutes, he came back and told me it was my lucky day...he let me off with a warning. He told me if I come back with that plate, he was going to have my car towed....
When I was getting ready to drive off, he promised that "someone was going to get hurt today". Im not exactly sure what that threat was all about....
Moral of the story, if you head down there with a show and go plate, cable tied plate, or anything removeable he's gonna try to pull it off!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:32 AM
bullmarket
POSSE SENIOR RIDER
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 502 Likes on 223 Posts

What a 'Richard'-head. NY must really need the revenue.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:38 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

what a schmuck.

he must feel really manly going after license plate scofflaws, doing the public good.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:52 AM
6SPD98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18- '19

Default ...Government Gone Wild...

He told me if I come back with that plate, he was going to have my car towed....

Can they have your car towed, impounded for what seems like nothing more than an, "equipment violation"?
As long as the vehicle is registered, inspected and insured it should be a summons...........No?
that is all
Old 12-13-2011, 12:20 PM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

Not sure.
My thought was that he let me off because he knew I would fight the BS ticket and probably win. Cops HATE losing in court. He probabaly figured he had to have the last say. This guy was a real D00$H Bag!

You had to see him tugging on people's front plate...I never seen anything like it!!

Originally Posted by 6SPD98
He told me if I come back with that plate, he was going to have my car towed....

Can they have your car towed, impounded for what seems like nothing more than an, "equipment violation"?
As long as the vehicle is registered, inspected and insured it should be a summons...........No?
that is all
Old 12-13-2011, 07:44 PM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

That's why I stopped going to Captree.
Sounds like the same officer who pulled over my buddy 2 weekends ago. My friend is a retired SCPD with 28 years on the job. As the trooper bent down and tugged on his plate, my friend hit the horn. No ticket, but not a warm and pleasant conversation after that. Second time in 6 months he was stopped by the same gentleman.
They apparently don't want us there, so I avoid the place. Too bad.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:29 PM
CTYANK2
Cruising is the passion!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 304 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Bring it on Lawman!

Old 12-13-2011, 09:29 PM
68ragtop69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I would take the time and file a formal complaint concerning the threat that he made to you. I think all complaint go into their service jackets.

You would think that he would have more important things to do out that way.....like maybe work on finding that serial killer who is dumping all those bodies....instead of checking license plate!!!

Last edited by 68ragtop69; 12-15-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:28 PM
flight405
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have not been there in years I finally took a ride down this past Sunday and never even made it in the old trooper was writing up a lotus who had a plate that came out of the bottom of the car.
He walked out into the street and stopped me and said turn around now and go home
Old 12-14-2011, 05:50 PM
GS_V
Racer

He (State Trooper) is 100% correct! It is the Law

http://wikidriving.com/index.php?tit...splayed_Plates

Code-74 Missing or Improperly Displayed Plates
From NYC Driving and Parking in New York City
Jump to: navigation, search
Contents

• For NYS registrations, both plates must be attached, one on the front and one on the rear of the vehicle. They must be securely fastened so as to prevent them from swinging, and they should be placed, whenever reasonably possible, no higher than 48 inches and no lower than 12 inches from the ground.
• Out of state vehicles must comply with their state regulations.
• Plates must be kept clean and in a readable condition and should not be covered by glass or any plastic material. In addition, they should not be obstructed by any part of the vehicle.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:12 PM
NYCHASM
Race Director

Location: Probably talking that police officer out of giving you a summons! ========== The Beautiful Lower Hudson Valley, NY
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Obviously, the trooper doesn't have any concept of decent bedside manner but you guys have got to be kidding. The OP was given a warning, not a ticket, and after the trooper is called a "********" and a "schmuck", the OP calls him a "douchebag". I can't imagine names he'd be called if the OP actually got a summons.

You are correct Bob, a vehicle cannot be towed for a non-safety related equipment violation.

You would think he would have more important things to do out that way.....like maybe work on finding that serial killer dumping all those bodies....instead of checking license plate!!!
You ARE kidding, right?

He walked out into the street and stopped me and said turn around now and go home
He told you to go home and YOU DID???

You live and drive in a state that requires a front plate. No front plate = an infraction of the state's Vehicle and Traffic Law and could result in a perfectly legal summons.

Drive without a front plate and you take your chances. Life's a gamble, learn to live with it!
Old 12-14-2011, 06:32 PM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

I have plenty of LEO's in my family and they all agreed he was a Douche Bag. This trooper is a grumpy old man who should have retired and taken his pension a long time ago....

The only reason he let me off with a warning is because I told him I would challenge the ticket in court. He probably knew any judge would have thrown the ticket out. Cops hare losing tickets in court. I had a plate permanently affixed, he was looking for excuses to write tickets....

Originally Posted by NYCHASM
Obviously, the trooper doesn't have any concept of decent bedside manner but you guys have got to be kidding. The OP was given a warning, not a ticket, and after the trooper is called a "********" and a "schmuck", the OP calls him a "douchebag". I can't imagine names he'd be called if the OP actually got a summons.

You are correct Bob, a vehicle cannot be towed for a non-safety related equipment violation.

You ARE kidding, right?

You live and drive in a state that requires a front plate. No front plate = an infraction of the state's Vehicle and Traffic Law and could result in a perfectly legal summons.

Drive without a front plate and you take your chances. Life's a gamble, learn to live with it!
Old 12-14-2011, 06:39 PM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah sure, the judge always takes the side of the motorist over the officer...

You must not spend much time in court...

But since you threatened to fight it (don't understand how exercising rights provided by the law is a threat) you must be the better guy!

Someone 'threatens' me I find more stuff to write...at least make the court visit worth both of our time.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:36 PM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

you must be as miserable the captree trooper.....

you cops on power trips are the ones who give the good cops bad names...

Originally Posted by undertaker

But since you threatened to fight it (don't understand how exercising rights provided by the law is a threat) you must be the better guy!

Someone 'threatens' me I find more stuff to write...at least make the court visit worth both of our time.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:36 PM
NYCHASM
Race Director

Location: Probably talking that police officer out of giving you a summons! ========== The Beautiful Lower Hudson Valley, NY
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by ricknyc23
I have plenty of LEO's in my family and they all agreed he was a Douche Bag. This trooper is a grumpy old man who should have retired and taken his pension a long time ago....

The only reason he let me off with a warning is because I told him I would challenge the ticket in court. He probably knew any judge would have thrown the ticket out. Cops hare losing tickets in court. I had a plate permanently affixed, he was looking for excuses to write tickets....
I'm happy to know that I don't knopw any of the LEO's in your family that would call another a douche bag because he's doing his job.

So ... you really believe your "challenge" made him change his mind? hahahahaha The court, the trooper and/or his superiors could care less if you challenged him in court and care even less about "losing" your challenge.

I don't know of any LEO that need to 'look for excuses to write tickets'. Check with your family!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:42 PM
flight405
Instructor

You ARE kidding, right?

sure i went home really dont feel like getting a bunch of tickets he gave me a break and i said thanks
home is a good place by the way

Originally Posted by undertaker

so your a trooper nowtry and give me a ticket and ill fill your car with kelly cones
Old 12-14-2011, 07:48 PM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

He wasn't doing his job....

I had a front plate securely affixed. This is why I have a problem. If I didn't have a plate, then its a different story. This guy was a miserable *****...He let me off because he knew he didn't have much of a case.
BTW, the LEO's in my family all said they have other things to write summons for, they don't look for non-sense equipment violations.

And yes, they hate losing case in traffic court.....

I'm happy to know that I don't knopw any of the LEO's in your family that would call another a douche bag because he's doing his job.

So ... you really believe your "challenge" made him change his mind? hahahahaha The court, the trooper and/or his superiors could care less if you challenged him in court and care even less about "losing" your challenge.

I don't know of any LEO that need to 'look for excuses to write tickets'. Check with your family!

Get notified of new replies

To Captree This Past Sunday

Old 12-14-2011, 10:02 PM
AngryTurtle
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Obvious situation is obvious. They dont want you meeting there. This is their way of getting you to stop.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:56 AM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Gigdy
Obvious situation is obvious. They dont want you meeting there. This is their way of getting you to stop.
My feelings exactly.
I've been going there for the past 5 or 6 years, and here's my take on the situation. On a nice day, there can be upwards of 300 cars there; a small percentage of those cars are driven by idiots. Some examples I have seen or know of: a Chevy-powered Mazda accelerates suddenly and ends up driving off the dock, a mid-year 'Vette and a Viper collide after losing traction on the metal grates of a drawbridge, a Z-06 and a Lambo pass on either side of me doing well into triple digits( then make a u-turn and do it again in the opposite direction).
I'm sure there are many, many complaints called in about such nonsense. The powers-that-be instruct their officers to make it stop. This is how they're doing it. A small number of knuckleheads have ruined it for everyone. I'm sure the restaurant located there doesn't want all those customers to go away, either.
A good reason why Long Island needs a dragstrip- but that's another thread.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:07 PM
6SPD98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18- '19

a Z-06 and a Lambo pass on either side of me doing well into triple digits( then make a u-turn and do it again in the opposite direction).

.....those guys. They passed me so fast one morning I thought my car stalled and I opened the door to get out.

All kidding aside, it's a great place to hang out for a couple of hours on a Sunday morning and I would hate to loose it. But, like everything else....the goods guys are being harassed because of a few "bad guys"
...that is all...

Quick Reply: Captree This Past Sunday