Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Dyno Tuning in CT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 09:05 PM
0Slowhawk
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XEUROTRASHOWNER
No i don't work at Corvette Ctr. Ray modded and tuned my GS last year and so far Zero issues. I guess what i take issue with is someone who doesn't really know the shop and goes off with unfounded negative info- Kinda like what i did for you-
It's great that your car runs good. I have multiple tunes from this shop and can show anyone that wants to see them. I would say that is what fuels my post. It's an opinion from facts we have.

As said, I'm sure they do good work and are probly good guy's. Isn't about the people, just tuning experience on these cars.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:23 PM
XEUROTRASHOWNER
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
It's great that your car runs good. I have multiple tunes from this shop and can show anyone that wants to see them. I would say that is what fuels my post. It's an opinion from facts we have.

As said, I'm sure they do good work and are probly good guy's. Isn't about the people, just tuning experience on these cars.
Maybe i got lucky then or it might be that the tuner who sold them the dyno was the one one who really tuned my car.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:49 PM
DJJONESIVS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey don if you have some pm me if you dont mind.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 AM
0Slowhawk
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DJJONESIVS
hey don if you have some pm me if you dont mind.
Just shoot my shop an e-mail.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:03 PM
HRDTOPC54FUN
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 143 Likes on 87 Posts

Just for the record the Corvette Center did not buy the used eastside dyno. They bought a new dynojet research dyno last year and installed it in a builiding across the street they bought for that purpose.

They did get some tuning software from east side and have been doing a substantial amount of LS tuning. The eastside dyno was bought by one of the NASCAR Truck teams.

Jason at the Corvette Center did do some tuning on my car, necessary because of the extensive mods we did, and he did a good job.

However, if you can manage to get to Slowhawks shop, in my opinion you will be working with the best of the best with regard to LS tuning- period.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:55 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

I have heard of past issues with most of the shops mentioned, including some who have responded to this thread.

Choosing a tuner can be a difficult task, because no one is perfect and mistakes can and will sometimes be made.

PM me if you want more info.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Shifter6
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vrybad
I have heard of past issues with most of the shops mentioned, including some who have responded to this thread.

Choosing a tuner can be a difficult task, because no one is perfect and mistakes can and will sometimes be made.

Everyshop has a whoops moment. The key is how they rectify the problem and thier attitude when dealing with you.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:00 PM
DJJONESIVS
Advanced

We should not see a whoops moment when it comes to PCM calibration.
That is unacceptable.

Whoops moments can lead
Poor reliabilty and longevity of a motor
On the worst side a blown motor

attention to detail is important when tuning.
If your a professional shop and charge professional Money for this service you need to know what you are doing.

Whoops is not acceptable.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Shifter6
Burning Brakes

That is unacceptable.

Whoops moments can lead

If your a professional shop and charge professional Money for this service you need to know what you are doing.

Any whoops moment is unacceptable. My point was not specific to tuning. This dosen't change the fact if you have a high enough volume, it will happen. Every large shop in the country that works on thousands of cars has had something go wrong. The best shops, with the best reputations, minimize their whoops moments and make it right for thier customers when one occurs.

It's basic odds. Saying its unacceptable does not change reality.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:21 PM
DJJONESIVS
Advanced

Even from mechanic/technician standpoint returning customers on a finished job is a loss.

Time is money for any shop.

Maybe it's just me, but I accept perfection only.
That's why I handle it my self.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Shifter6
Burning Brakes

That's why I handle it my self.

Sans tuning I do all my work myself.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:08 PM
VJD2
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

After much research on here and multiple other forums, talking to members and word of mouth I have decided to go with........Slowhawk.

It is a haul for me but from I have heard it is going to be worth the trip. Just from talking with the shop on the phone I can tell they are into the cars, know what they are talking about and didn't mind chatting and answering some of my questions.

So the appointment is made and I'm looking forward to it.

Thank you again for your help and all the discussion!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:09 PM
VJD2
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Shifter6

Sans tuning I do all my work myself.

Never trust anyone working on my cars unless its above my skill level which isn't too often or I don't have the correct tools. This way I know it was done right.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Shifter6
Burning Brakes

Use your instincts. Go with who you are comfortable with.

It sounds like you will be in good hands.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:16 PM
0Slowhawk
Former Vendor

That is unacceptable.

Whoops moments can lead

There is no tuner that tunes all the cars perfect. Everybody can have issue's that they can not figure out. We've been tuning just LS based cars for over 10 years and i get stuck sometimes and have to make calls across the country to various shops asking if they have seen a problem. We get calls from other proffesional tuners too.

The $$ that is charged is not even close to enough as we should charge. I'd say the best tuners out there are the ones that started these cars 10+ years ago.Back then we had to get cars running with real crappy tuning software/logging and you learned alot of tricks which help today. The job of the tuner is to set the computer up so the computer can self adjust itself quicker and correctly to get the best performance/drivability(unless it's OLSD). There are many ways to tune for this that gets the same result. There is no 1 way to tune correctly.

I agree that whoops should never happen. Sad part is there are alot of "tuners" out there that do the whoops and think it's tottaly safe/correct.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:03 AM
DJJONESIVS
Advanced

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
There is no tuner that tunes all the cars perfect. Everybody can have issue's that they can not figure out. We've been tuning just LS based cars for over 10 years and i get stuck sometimes and have to make calls across the country to various shops asking if they have seen a problem. We get calls from other proffesional tuners too.

The $$ that is charged is not even close to enough as we should charge. I'd say the best tuners out there are the ones that started these cars 10+ years ago.Back then we had to get cars running with real crappy tuning software/logging and you learned alot of tricks which help today. The job of the tuner is to set the computer up so the computer can self adjust itself quicker and correctly to get the best performance/drivability(unless it's OLSD). There are many ways to tune for this that gets the same result. There is no 1 way to tune correctly.

I agree that whoops should never happen. Sad part is there are alot of "tuners" out there that do the whoops and think it's tottaly safe/correct.
cant say i disagree.

i have been through those wtf moments.
times like that im never ashamed of asking for help, but nothing wrong with figuring it out.

matter fact i love figuring out those problems, puts a smile on my face

i THINK the best tuners are the ones that continually feel the need to learn educate and grow.
sure 10 years experience cannot be replaced by no book or educational seminar.
but the right guy paying attention and thinking the whole time makes a hell of a difference.

Last edited by DJJONESIVS; 08-12-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:57 AM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Default slowhawk

My car is a slowhawk now and get ready for my total review soon

Get notified of new replies

To Dyno Tuning in CT?

Old 03-23-2014, 01:42 PM
(413) Grand Sport
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slowhawk did the tuning on my car. Cant say anything but good things about Don. My car is running better then ever. Saving up money to take it back to them for a super charger
Old 04-06-2014, 12:54 AM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Default mongillo

Slowhawk is the worst shop i ever delt with..look at my review in feedback section i do not recomend unless u want all the stress i went through.damage and i had to redo all his work
Mongillo is top notch his mechanics are top notch and very neat and great work ethics unlike slowhawk
Ed is hands down one of the best tuners i ever seen..amazing how much safe power he made over slowhawks quick and out tune...
Pro edge tuning and dont look back
Old 04-08-2014, 12:23 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Default slowhack more like it

After i took my vette from him he caused so much damage..grease inside outside all over car along w metal chips..cut my dash ..big knick in drivers door he tried to touch up ..on and on..found lower crank bolts for dampner all looose..never even tightened when he swapped cam...he clearenced my lower control arms croked i had to redo terrible...everything they touched was a mess...i had no choice but to pull car..i have 5000.00 in damages and this is rediculous how a man can be on here thinking hes the best shop ...how unprofessional and a huge basher of other shops while i was there..
He even sent me a wrong email by mistake to me saying u can drop your car off but it will be irritating me and my mechanic ..wow...u really want this guy to work on your car while he takes 0 pride in his work

Last edited by blown81bu; 04-08-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Dyno Tuning in CT?